Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    While I'm sure this run will be remembered for years to come, one thing it's really missing is any sense that the events here will in any way shape Hal or the GLC or have any kind of impact. They're fun stories that mostly mine the past, but they're not really building anything of lasting relevance once these guys leave the book. (at least not that I can see so far)
    Well yeah it’s Morrison lol. 9/10 times everything he does gets retconned away or ignored. New X-Men, New 52 Superman, JLA, etc. Morrison tells (imo) amazing stories that never got followed up to or honored by succeeding writers. Pretty much the only exception to that has been Batman and that’s in part because Scott Snyder is a huge Morrison fanboy. This Morrison era lets us take a break from the usual Johns rehashes and do other stuff for a little while. Once Grant is done we’ll be back to Hal vs. Sinestro and GLs getting slaughtered by the thousands.

Well, let's hope that the spirit of what Morrison is doing will be incorporated into the next phase of the GL mythos so that we end up with something in between. (with hopefully more than just one title)

Incredible Member

While I'm sure this run will be remembered for years to come, one thing it's really missing is any sense that the events here will in any way shape Hal or the GLC or have any kind of impact. They're fun stories that mostly mine the past, but they're not really building anything of lasting relevance once these guys leave the book. (at least not that I can see so far)
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking yesterday. It is the one reason why I might drop the book after the end of Season 1.

BANNED

Things are pretty much turning out how I said they would when it was announced Morrison would be on the book. I thought that Morrison would tell good stories, but I did not feel he was the architect Green Lantern needed to really get itself back on track after Johns went to the same well several times too many, and Venditti followed suit with the same formulaic, and especially bland stories that always seemed to lack satisfactory endings. Johns and Venditti ran things into the ground, and, in my opinion, Morrison is too self absorbed to really do what I feel Green Lantern really needs. And not in an egotistical way, so to speak, but rather...he's just interested in what he's interested in, if that makes sense. Like, telling his weird, clever little stories and not seeing much beyond that. Not building a framework for something larger and rehabilitating the franchise...because that just doesn't seem to interest him.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-18-2019 at 04:09 AM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Look, Morrison's work is seldom actually followed up on so I have no idea why he would bother buggering around with "redefining the mythos" when he could just make a damn good comic book. So, he's not an "architect". Big whoop. Johns was and the result was a decade of increasingly uninteresting Rainbow Corps stories. If it's between that and creating a comic book that will stand up as a classic of its genre - and if Morrison and Sharpe keep it up, that's precisely what it will be - I know what I would be more interested in.

Honestly, current DC is at its best when the books or line of books are allowed to be their own, self-contained things. It's why The Green Lantern, Wonder Comics, Bendis' Superman and Young Animals continue to impress while more continuity-heavy books flounder.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

morisson does seem to have a lot of stories to tell, considering all the stuff he packs in in one issue. i like that he's exploring hal's character along with the adventures hal goes to.

i also feel that hal could benefit from more interaction with the rest of the dcu.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    morisson does seem to have a lot of stories to tell, considering all the stuff he packs in in one issue. i like that he's exploring hal's character along with the adventures hal goes to.

i also feel that hal could benefit from more interaction with the rest of the dcu.
    This. It's ironic that Hal is allegedly one of their premier heroes, yet he barely even interacts with any of those characters. He's constantly absent from the core DCU events to the point where he almost feels like a complete stranger sometimes. The fact that he's a founding JL member seems like little more than a formality these days and has been for many years. It's appreciated that he has a good solo title, but it would've been nice if he was a little less isolated from the main DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    This. It's ironic that Hal is allegedly one of their premier heroes, yet he barely even interacts with any of those characters. He's constantly absent from the core DCU events to the point where he almost feels like a complete stranger sometimes. The fact that he's a founding JL member seems like little more than a formality these days and has been for many years. It's appreciated that he has a good solo title, but it would've been nice if he was a little less isolated from the main DCU.
    While I would also love to see Hal on earth more with the other heroes, I wouldn't say that he's "constantly absent" - he gets brought back at random times: Darkseid War, Doomsday Clock, Metal and he's just in the JL lineup without fanfare because he'll always have a place there. Last year (or last couple of years) he popped up in "Man of Steel", "Supergirl", "Flash" and "Green Arrow."
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-18-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    DC is at its best when the books or line of books are allowed to be their own, self-contained things.
    I agree. Morrison in particular writes memorable, evergreen material - so the best outcome is that there's another good Green Lantern run at the bookstore (or DC app) alongside the Johns run, that can sell in perpetuity. Because the only other truly classic GL material was drawn by Gil Kane 50-60 years ago. It'll be good to have a modern series that's faithful to the wild sci-fi tone of the Broome/Kane era, as opposed to the Star Wars-y Johns run.

But a question beyond that: Green Lantern has had a mini-franchise a couple of times now, in the early 90s and during the Geoff Johns era. Are they only going to publish Morrison's book for now, or is DC going to go down that road again? And if so, will it have to wait for Grant's run to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal is allegedly one of their premier heroes, yet he barely even interacts with any of those characters.
    I dunno. It feels like DC's take on the GL series is that it should be high-octane space opera - that's the setting. Not Earthbound superhero-ing. The rationale being they've already got Earth covered by a lot of books. Which is why partway into Johns' run the series shifted to outer space settings and almost entirely alien conflicts. Less Earth, less classic superhero situations.

Which can be its own form of monotony. If that's all you focus on you lose roundness - a sense of the character's personal life, relationships and inherent challenges, friends, etc.

It's so odd to me it's become so one or the other in terms of GLs being on earth or not. They travel so easily in space you could literally have them go back and forth every other issue or in the same issue. I guess it's just the writers' proclivities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    I agree. Morrison in particular writes memorable, evergreen material - so the best outcome is that there's another good Green Lantern run at the bookstore (or DC app) alongside the Johns run, that can sell in perpetuity. Because the only other truly classic GL material was drawn by Gil Kane 50-60 years ago.
    This is ignoring the Adams/O'Neil run, which is widely regarded as classic, and probably the thing historians point to the most for being the clearest marker for the beginning of the Bronze Age of comics. No other Green Lantern run is regarded with a level of prestige like that or cultural significance.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-18-2019 at 09:11 PM.

While I would also love to see Hal on earth more with the other heroes, I wouldn't say that he's "constantly absent" - he gets brought back at random times: Darkseid War, Doomsday Clock, Metal and he's just in the JL lineup without fanfare because he'll always have a place there. Last year (or last couple of years) he popped up in "Man of Steel", "Supergirl", "Flash" and "Green Arrow."
    thanks dude. do you still remember what issues were those and what hal did in those issues?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    thanks dude. do you still remember what issues were those and what hal did in those issues?
    Man of Steel and Supergirl were just cameos. I know he analyzed that Big Bad guy's axe for Supergirl but I didn't read the issue. He teamed up with Flash in #23, #24 and Flash Annual #2. He teamed with Green Arrow in #30 and #31 - part of the "Hard Traveling Hero" arc.

I am definitely looking forward to the Walmart stuff being released where Hal teams with Batman and they fight dinosaurs or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    This is ignoring the Adams/O'Neil run, which is widely regarded as classic, and probably the thing historians point to the most for being the clearest marker for the beginning of the Bronze Age of comics. No other Green Lantern run is regarded with a level of prestige like that or cultural significance.
    Sure - some of the first comics I ever bought were DC's 1980s GL/GA Baxter reprints. I grew up revering those stories, like most fans of the era.

But they're not really Green Lantern stories. They're very much their own thing- the issues of the day approach, the buddy cop angle, etc. No later writer could recapture that GL/GA magic, not even Dennis O'Neil. Which goes back to - they're really not Green Lantern stories, nor a model to follow. The Broome / Kane / Fox stuff is, and is also similarly revered by fans, creators. (Bringing it back to the topic, Morrison himself waxed rhapsodic in his DC bio Supergods about the influence and impact of that run.)

But regardless, both runs stem from 45+ years ago. They're not geared for new readers in 2019. Few GL runs are; since the late 1970s, there's been a lot of starts, stops and restarts. Really, Johns' run is the only logical destination. But if Morrison and Sharp create some classic stories, there'd be two modern high water marks, instead of one. That strikes me as a good outcome.