Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

By the way, if Morrison's GL doesn't sell or is badly received -- neither of which seems likely based on first issue feedback -- DC would simply take Morrison off the book, replace him with a different writer, and save face by saying that Morrison's schedule doesn't allow him to continue. The new writer would quickly wrap up the story and they'd move forward. There wouldn't be an out-and-out cancellation under any circumstances.

It's kind of what they did years ago with JMS when he took over both Superman and Wonder Woman and both were poorly received.

But again, based on Morrison's existing fan base and the positive reaction to #1, I'd predict his 12 GL issues to all land solidly in the Top 50 each month if not the Top 30.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    By the way, if Morrison's GL doesn't sell or is badly received -- neither of which seems likely based on first issue feedback -- DC would simply take Morrison off the book, replace him with a different writer, and save face by saying that Morrison's schedule doesn't allow him to continue. The new writer would quickly wrap up the story and they'd move forward. There wouldn't be an out-and-out cancellation under any circumstances.

It's kind of what they did years ago with JMS when he took over both Superman and Wonder Woman and both were poorly received.
    Not really. If DC actually cared about the poor reception to JMS's run, DC wouldn't have put in Roberson and Hester to continue those very same storylines. Not to mention that knowing what we know now, his run was there largely as a stopgap before DC rebooted everything so fan reception absolutely didn't matter here. He was just there to churn out 12 issues before DC rebooted everything. And he was off the books because he couldn't deliver on that (apparently because he got sick).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 11-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.

I lost interest in the Lanterns after their war of light, because I prefer my Lanterns Green and, sometimes, yellow. But I would be interested in a Morrison reboot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Not really. If DC actually cared about the poor reception to JMS's run, DC wouldn't have put in Roberson and Hester to continue those very same storylines. Not to mention that knowing what we know now, his run was there largely as a stopgap before DC rebooted everything so fan reception absolutely didn't matter here. He was just there to churn out 12 issues before DC rebooted everything. And he was off the books because he couldn't deliver on that (apparently because he got sick).
    Was just about to point this out myself. Glad someone did if for me. He also "left" to focus on doing the sequel to Superman: Earth One. Still, DC could commit to running with both storylines because The New 52 was just around the corner. Not to mention the effort and money they invested in promoting both of them at the time (Wonder Woman has pants!)

Odyssey was pretty much a dud. But Roberson came in and did a pretty good job with Grounded. Actually, the storyline took off once he came aboard in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Was just about to point this out myself. Glad someone did if for me. He also "left" to focus on doing the sequel to Superman: Earth One. Still, DC could commit to running with both storylines because The New 52 was just around the corner. Not to mention the effort and money they invested in promoting both of them at the time (Wonder Woman has pants!)

Odyssey was pretty much a dud. But Roberson came in and did a pretty good job with Grounded. Actually, the storyline took off once he came aboard in my opinion.
    I don't get exactly what you're disagreeing about. Whether you like my particular example with JMS or not, the fact is that DC won't cancel Morrison's GL series even if sales aren't great and that was the point I was making--not about JMS.

It's only 12 issues, and DC has published lots of miniseries and maxiseries with low to middling sales to completion whether there was a reboot around the corner or not. I'm sure Morrison's GL will do quite a bit better in sales than the 12-issue Raven mini, for example. GL would have to be a sales disaster on the level of Vigilante:Southland or Sonic Disruptors to be canceled early.

Anyway, this entire argument is moot because GL won't have low sales under Morrison and I'm sure positive word of mouth from issue #1 will only mitigate the normal subsequent issue sales drops.

I'm not sure where all this arguing and gloom-and-doom regarding sales is coming from. It's a good comic!
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 11-10-2018 at 01:10 AM.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Is The Green Lantern going to follow in the footsteps of Morrison's Action Comics run? being a single definitive version of Hal Jordan?
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

I appreciate the density of Morrison's work so much. One can read a story over and over and over again and always find something new. What I love most about his work reminds me of something the experimental playwright/director Richard Foreman said, which was to respect one's audience by writing as if they'll all understand, to never write "down" to them, to never coddle them, and that if only one person in the audience does understand, to play to the audience as if they're all that one person. Foreman never holds his audiences' hands, he never helps them understand. Neither does Morrison. I consider it a matter of respect to the reader to anticipate that they can handle dense, fiercely intelligent material.

And then, when I do feel lost with a Morrison story, luckily, many times there's a Rikdad blogspot post to enlighten me and provide the revelations I failed to suss out from reading the comic. Rikdad's posts on Morrison's work are always enlightening. I think they should almost be marketed by DC as supplementary reading material. That a comic book could need such a thing is a gift, IMO, as well as a sign of respect for the readers' intelligence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Is The Green Lantern going to follow in the footsteps of Morrison's Action Comics run? being a single definitive version of Hal Jordan?
    I think it'll definitely be like his run on Action in that it won't be a super influential run that future writers look to (in contrast to his runs on X-Men, the Batbooks and Justice League) due to factors such as the likely short duration of the run. If he stays on much longer that might change or if DC is able to build more Lantern books around Morrison's run like they did with the Batbooks or (with Geoff Johns run on GL) then he might approach creating a definite run on the character. But now it's mostly an homage to the 70s/80s/90s Lantern stories.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 11-10-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Still, I hope the book continues to deliver in regards to the plot-line it has begun to establish.

I'll add it tomorrow to my pull list, once my LCS opens for the day.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 11-10-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I really liked Green Lantern #1. It was weird where appropriate and in an inviting way rather than in an offputting way.
    Such a good way to put it. You articulated what I could not. I just read this first issue now and it was just so much fun and interesting. Weird, different, fun, interesting. And reading Grant's recent interviews really work as little annotations to how Grant sees what he is doing.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/1...-green-lantern
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/grant-morris...nte-1830290917
    https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/...n-floozle-flem
    https://www.newsarama.com/42630-gran...medium=twitter

Based on the first issue, I hope that Morrison does more than 12 issues because there were enough intriguing elements that were touched upon that could really be developed for longer than that.
    If we don't get 20-40 issues, I may cry.

But some good indications on this topic (from the DC link above): MORRISON: "I’ve written around ten of them. I’m pretty far ahead, and I’ve also plotted out a second season, because I just couldn’t stop my mind from running. There’s a lot of material there, and there’s a lot of stuff I just can’t wait to get to, because we get deeper and deeper into it."

"Second season" certainly has to put all this past 12 issues.

And I loved the fact that Morrison didn't feel the need to do the tired "break the hero down" shtick that a lot of lazy wannabe-edgy writers just love to do.

All in all, a great first effort that effectively whetted the appetite for more.
    So, so, well said. Morrison comes off so much as a pro. He knows when to go right when everyone is going left.

Great first isssue, I'm super hooked. This is comics for me now.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

There should be a heart button for posts we love, like this one...

This post condenses how I feel about Morrison's work perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I appreciate the density of Morrison's work so much. One can read a story over and over and over again and always find something new. What I love most about his work reminds me of something the experimental playwright/director Richard Foreman said, which was to respect one's audience by writing as if they'll all understand, to never write "down" to them, to never coddle them, and that if only one person in the audience does understand, to play to the audience as if they're all that one person. Foreman never holds his audiences' hands, he never helps them understand. Neither does Morrison. I consider it a matter of respect to the reader to anticipate that they can handle dense, fiercely intelligent material.

And then, when I do feel lost with a Morrison story, luckily, many times there's a Rikdad blogspot post to enlighten me and provide the revelations I failed to suss out from reading the comic. Rikdad's posts on Morrison's work are always enlightening. I think they should almost be marketed by DC as supplementary reading material. That a comic book could need such a thing is a gift, IMO, as well as a sign of respect for the readers' intelligence.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Has anything been divulged about the unique properties or powers of the x-ray, gamma, radio, and microwave lanterns? I'm curious about these other lanterns.
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

I don't think they are supposed to be separate per se, but are Green Lantern stand-ins for races that perceive in those frequencies. Like the F# Bell Corps.

Though, with the Radio and Microwave Corps involved, I really expect Krakkl and Airwave to show up.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    IThough, with the Radio and Microwave Corps involved, I really expect Krakkl and Airwave to show up.
    You mean Hal Jordan's cousin, Hal Jordan?

(They beat the Wally Wests there. :P)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Yup, Hal Jordon the Lesser is who I was referring to.

Man, it is weird that the cousin-with-the-same-name thing was done decades ago by GL. It's a dumb idea.