Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    posted where?
    Yea, I'd like to see that tweet or post.

Though I've heard of no denial of the Morrison/GL rumor and I think that means something (probably that the rumor is true given the attention the story got), I've also heard of nothing (apart from BCool) indicating it is true.

Anyway, these possibly interim teams could mean we won't know for sure for a bit.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

posted where?
    On these boards somewhere. Some writer (poster wouldn't give out names) said this at a comic-con.

If it's not Morrison, I hope that person has a strong enough ego to handle the inevitable, "I was excited when I heard it was Morrison, but [fill in blank] is okay I guess" and "[fill in blank] is the 'Big Name' we've been waiting for??" comments...

Astonishing Member

Hickman, Hickman He needs something to do until the Legion of Super Heroes becomes available and at the rate Doomsday Clock is going that might be two years from now so if Hal and Pals stays bi-monthly that might mean 20 to 30 issue run...(sarcasm) before he has to split his attention with the LSH.

Hickman, Hickman He needs something to do until the Legion of Super Heroes becomes available and at the rate Doomsday Clock is going that might be two years from now so if Hal and Pals stays bi-monthly that might mean 20 to 30 issue run...(sarcasm) before he has to split his attention with the LSH.
    Yes please! Im sure he can deliver a great run like he did twice over at Marvel and with his creator owned books. Hickman would be a perfect fit for GL.

Never read much Hickman, but Hickman or Bendis after a Morrison GL run would work for me. Or Tom King or Snyder for that matter I guess.

But Morrison is the perfect alchemy GL needs right now. Johns laid a foundation and Grant is just one to stir it all up a bit with his creative sensibilities, his density and love of physics and space and science. Morrison's unconventional style, almost like an anti-Johns, is perfect for right now.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-16-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Fan05 while Grant has wrote some of the best stuff I have ever read he has also written some of the worst. For every Invisibles, We3, JLA, All Star Superman or JLA: Earth Two, there are six titles (redacted as to not offend some people's sacred cows) like Final Crisis which I consider dreck and rendered the New Gods toxic for about 5 years so DC couldn't use them. Or the New X-Men run that is largely ignored by all writers and editors after he left. He will succeed beyond imagining or wreck a book for the next 5 years, that's too high a risk for my favorite DC hero. I prefer Hickman who was the last writer to make the Fantastic Four cool, was given the reigns of multiple Avengers titles simultaneously and had control over the entire Marvel universe before finishing his magnum opus Secret Wars, which was his love story of the Fantastic Four before Marvel exiled the title. He also is writing my favorite independent title out there right now East of West. So while Hickman is my #1 choice even if not him, Morrison wouldn't be my 2nd. I simultaneously would be interested what he could do and scared he might do serious damage to the title.

Or the New X-Men run that is largely ignored by all writers and editors after he left.
    Astonishing X-Men begs to differ with that assessment somewhat. (And many fans find Morrison's run to be in the top 3 of all time for X-Men runs)

Morrison has his controversies (his portrayal and arc for Magneto...in his opinion, taking him back to his darker eviler roots and ultimately "killing" him (but all comic deaths can be undone!)), but his work ultimately wins IMHO when the dust settles and people look back and reexamine and see it's a good or great arc or run.

For me, Grant is well worth the risk and succeeds far more than fails (and his "fails" or lesser stuff are often still worth a read or further examination).

I think his biggest sin with Final Crisis wasn't that his 10 or so issues (1-7, Submit, S.Bey, Batman Last Rites) don't tell a decent/good/great story (in isolation)...it's that he just turned up the experimental dial a little at the wrong time with the wrong book, an event (with many different writers not like him participating) that so totally didn't have a history of taking storytelling chances (it was groundbreaking in terms of being a big event with loads of characters, but pretty conventional other than that). Lots of characters, focus on the big characters, very drawn out, action focus, nothing off panel, conventional, straightforward...that was COIE (and I loved it personally). And Grant "channel-surfed" a bit too much and gave some more obscure characters maybe more attention than fans wanted and skipped or abbreviated some of the action. All on top of his habit of not spoonfeeding story events to the reader, making them work a little (more than they wanted, because COIE or Infinite Crisis didn't make readers work much).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-21-2018 at 12:59 PM.

For me, his work on "Multiversity" was able to give us both the genre-bending craziness of "Infinite Crisis" while giving us some good straight-forward character work and drama. Let's hope that if he takes on GL, he'll find that sweet spot right in the middle.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, I'd like to see that tweet or post.

Though I've heard of no denial of the Morrison/GL rumor and I think that means something (probably that the rumor is true given the attention the story got), I've also heard of nothing (apart from BCool) indicating it is true.

Anyway, these possibly interim teams could mean we won't know for sure for a bit.
    I think they're referring to my post. I was told it would be Aaron Gillespie (the writer I left nameless originally, taking previously solicited Seeley issues) for 2 issues, who was just officially announced, followed by Dan Jurgens (didn't specify how many issues), and then Grant Morrison. The way he said it made it sound like Morrison would be taking over for the previous writers, as if he would be on the Green Lanterns title, but I can't confirm that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    I think they're referring to my post. I was told it would be Aaron Gillespie (the writer I left nameless originally, taking previously solicited Seeley issues) for 2 issues, who was just officially announced, followed by Dan Jurgens (didn't specify how many issues), and then Grant Morrison. The way he said it made it sound like Morrison would be taking over for the previous writers, as if he would be on the Green Lanterns title, but I can't confirm that is true.
    Thank you for responding and relaying this! Definitely an interesting little nugget supporting the rumor.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-16-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Well, there's this. I know nothing about this blogger or their track record, but for what it's worth...

http://www.blogofoa.com/2018/05/gran...ry-likely.html

EDIT: I would pee my pants a little if this does turn out to be true. A short while ago, I would have bet money that we'd never again see Morrison as the regular writer on an ongoing mainstream superhero property, but his Batman, his Doom Patrol, his X-Men and his Superman are all among my favorites. I have very little GL knowledge, but I'll give anything he writes a shot. I'm actually excited enough that I've got the first volume of the Geoff Johns GL omnibus on request at the library just so I can get a little background knowledge before Morrison's presumptive entrance. And also just because I've always heard it's one of the great runs in the genre.
    Last edited by Yohei72; 05-21-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I re-read Grant Morrison's Supergods recently and his clear affection for the GL mythos is quite apparent all the way back in 2011. There's only a few bits here and there specific to GL, but I think he's had some definite ideas percolating in his head about Hal Jordan and the GLCorps for awhile now.

One of things that I never realized until Morrison pointed it out was how influenced the Silver Age GL stories were influenced by John Broome being a pretty big pot head. Hal Jordan's journey from cocky test pilot to a man wandering the country in an attempt to keep in touch with humanity after being bestowed with near-infinite power was all there before Denny O'Neil came on board and jettisoned all of Broome's character development in favor of making Hal Jordan into Oliver Queen's strawman.

Broome himself became a world traveller himself after he left comics, wandering all over the world from Japan to Thailand, where he eventually died.

Knowing what was going on with the author gives me a different perspective on Broome's decidely goofy Silver Age stories featuring his straight-laced Kennedy-esque protagonists Barry Allen, Hal Jordan and Ray Palmer.

Looking forward to Morrison's run, if it indeed happens. I'm sure there's plenty of negotiating happening at the moment so it could all fall through, but I have my figures crossed that we'll finally get someone on GL again that will bring something new to the table like Geoff Johns did. If I just wanted endless regurgitation of old GL stories from the 60, 70, 80, and 90s, I could just re-read those comics. I want someone to take Hal Jordan somewhere new and exciting and Morrison seems like the exact guy to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    I have very little GL knowledge, but I'll give anything he writes a shot. I'm actually excited enough that I've got the first volume of the Geoff Johns GL omnibus on request at the library just so I can get a little background knowledge before Morrison's presumptive entrance. And also just because I've always heard it's one of the great runs in the genre.
    That was a wise idea. Great run. And Johns is the best modern intro to Green Lantern comics, for a number of reasons, one being that he's largely the architect of modern GL.

You could even read his arc "Secret Origin" before the rest of his run if you wanted since it's a flashback origin arc. For readers more familiar with Hal's origin/history, it's maybe best read where it occurs in the Omnibus, in the middle of Johns's run. For newer less knowledgeable readers, perhaps maybe possibly best read before Johns's run.

Note: "Secret Origin" is actually basically a comic book codeword for reading an origin of a hero after his story or run has begun, so that's why Johns titled it that way and did it in the middle of his run, it's both an origin and prelude teaser to his then-upcoming stories in the run.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-23-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Bleeding Cool does brief idle speculation on Morrison GL and reiterates that the "creative team [of Morrison/Sharp] is well sourced."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...green-lantern/