Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Sure, but the "official" plan at this moment is to be a 12 issue series. What happens afterwards is dependent on his schedule. Or maybe the book could end up not selling and they decide to cancel it even if Morrison wants to keep writing it.
    LMAO at the thought of DC cancelling a Morrison book. I needed that laugh.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They totally would if it didn't sell enough.

But I don't see that being a problem. If we don't get more than 12, I would peg that more on Grant's busy schedule than low sales. But he's been talking pretty enthusiastically about his larger plans for this beyond the 12 issues recently, so maybe that's an indication that he'll make time for this. We can probably not expect any other monthly books from him until this wraps up though.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    LMAO at the thought of DC cancelling a Morrison book. I needed that laugh.
    I mean, Morrison hasn't had a monthly book in years and it's not like the GL brand is in a very good state currently. It can pretty much go either way.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-08-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I mean, Morrison hasn't had a monthly book in years and it's not like the GL brand is in a very good state currently. It can pretty much go either way.
    Anything is possible, but it's very, very unlikely. The only book that Morrison's done in many, many years that sold poorly was Seaguy, and even that got a sequel.

Morrison is one of the few creators in comics who can do whatever he wants because he has a big enough audience that will follow him anywhere.

Unless it's Seaguy

With the writing and the art, this issue felt like a Britsh comic. It wouldn't have felt out of place in a comic like 2000AD.

Honestly, I was not really a fan of this issue. Maybe it is because I am still not over the incredible Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps book that preceded it, but this issue left me cold. I will try a few more issues, but I think I will drop this book.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Gotta admit that Morrison is not always my cup of tea. Oftentimes, he's quirky and weird just for its own sake and sometimes he's a little too incoherent for me.

However, I really liked Green Lantern #1. It was weird where appropriate and in an inviting way rather than in an offputting way. Liked seeing Eve again, but of course Carol is Hal's romantic endgame just as Lois, Iris, Dinah, Selina, and Mera are for their guys (even if things go temporarily astray).

Based on the first issue, I hope that Morrison does more than 12 issues because there were enough intriguing elements that were touched upon that could really be developed for longer than that.

And yes, Liam Sharp's art was generally killer.

And I loved the fact that Morrison didn't feel the need to do the tired "break the hero down" shtick that a lot of lazy wannabe-edgy writers just love to do.

All in all, a great first effort that effectively whetted the appetite for more.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 11-09-2018 at 01:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

Sure, but the "official" plan at this moment is to be a 12 issue series. What happens afterwards is dependent on his schedule. Or maybe the book could end up not selling and they decide to cancel it even if Morrison wants to keep writing it.
    Its Morrison. It won't be getting canceled.

Astonishing Member

Issue #1 was pretty good in my opinion. The art was great (Sharp almost always is.) Morrison either A. goes for reinvention or B. takes old concepts and gives them a polish so they shine in a new light. There never is a middle ground with him. You either like it or you don't. I liked what he has done so far and am intrigued about what is coming up. I like the idea that we now have Lanterns that operate on different frequencies and waves.

Also, regarding the appearance of Eve Doremus, I don't know when she last appeared, but her cameo plus her rundown of Hal's job history seems to be a way for Morrison to once again assure us that "it all happened."

I haven't read any interviews with Morrison about his plans for Hal, but I would not be surprised if he found a way to work in Hal's other life as Solar Director Pol Manning from 5700 AD into his run -- complete with an appearance of another one of Hal's not-Carol distractions, Iona Vane.

Come on, Morrison! You know you want to!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've been waiting for someone to revisit Pol Manning of the Solar Council for years. The last time that concept was even mentioned was when Salaak was Pol if I remember right.

Few panels in the first half of the book were a bit hard to follow, but other than that I enjoyed it a lot. Glad to have readable GL monthly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Not really. If anything the Guardians turning out to be bad is the logical outcome of the entire premise of them setting themselves up as the law in the known dc universe.
    It might be logical, but it is very boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I've been waiting for someone to revisit Pol Manning of the Solar Council for years. The last time that concept was even mentioned was when Salaak was Pol if I remember right.
    I definitely want Salaak in the mix if Morrison revisits Iona Vane and the 57th century.

https://www.cbr.com/grant-morrison-g...tern-season-2/

I've read that. In subsequent interviews he says that it depends on both his and Sharp's schedules.

Either way, the first issue just came out and in the world of modern comics, you never know what's going to continue or get cut on any given day.