Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I remember the Malthusians experiencing that overpopulation problem, then Appa Ali Apsa was doing humanitarian work there before going nuts ... but were they on Oa? I'm fuzzy on this. Why was Oa always depicted as having these giant cities when all we ever saw were Guardians and some GL's (who really should have been in their own sectors instead of hanging out on Oa) Was the rest of the planet just barren? Who were in these cities anyway?
    And what about Salaak? Does he have a sector? He seems to never leave Oa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    And Jurgens only changed it from Mogo to New Oa to accommodate Morrison

Personally, I prefer Mogo as a separate entity rather than just being the GLCorps HQ. Since it's already been established that Oa can be reconstructed from the last time it was destroyed during the 1990s, it wouldn't make much sense to not rebuilt Oa once again.
    I like having an Oa and a Mogo separate too. And I very much doubt that Morrison read a single page of Venditti's run or the issues Jurgens did, so I doubt anything would be referenced. I have a feeling in Morrison's script, he just called it Oa and editorial had to step in and add the word "new" to keep at least a shred of continuity.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    And what about Salaak? Does he have a sector? He seems to never leave Oa.
    I'm sure someone replaced him in his sector since he was given a specific job with the Guardians on Oa. Similarly, the Honor Guard and that guy who oversees the crypt don't have sectors to patrol anymore.

I remember the Malthusians experiencing that overpopulation problem, then Appa Ali Apsa was doing humanitarian work there before going nuts ... but were they on Oa? I'm fuzzy on this. Why was Oa always depicted as having these giant cities when all we ever saw were Guardians and some GL's (who really should have been in their own sectors instead of hanging out on Oa) Was the rest of the planet just barren? Who were in these cities anyway?
    The Malthusians (with all the overpopulation issues) were on Maltus. Why they never sent more of their population to Oa is an open question.

And yes, why there are tremendous city-scapes on the modern renderings of Oa is something of a mystery. Pre-Emerald Twilight, Oa was traditionally drawn as a mostly-barren planet with a few really cool buildings to house the Guardians, their Sciencells, the Battery and whatnot. Which makes sense, when you think about it, 'cause what does Oa really need to run the Corps?

- Housing for 36 Guardians.
    - Training facilities for 7200 GL's.
    - The Battery.
    - Some diplomatic/meeting structures.
    - A few "Control Center" buildings.
    - MAYBE housing for the GL's, but they're not really supposed to live there.
    - A big sophisticated prison for all the space criminals that can't be housed anywhere else.
    - The Book of Oa.
    - A big ol' meeting area for those allegedly rare occasions when all the GL's gather.

Seriously, even with all the sci-fi comic book goofiness that goes on there, it's hard to fathom that the whole place would be larger than, say, Stockton.

I'm sure someone replaced him in his sector since he was given a specific job with the Guardians on Oa. Similarly, the Honor Guard and that guy who oversees the crypt don't have sectors to patrol anymore.
    i think his name is morro....

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    I like having an Oa and a Mogo separate too. And I very much doubt that Morrison read a single page of Venditti's run or the issues Jurgens did, so I doubt anything would be referenced. I have a feeling in Morrison's script, he just called it Oa and editorial had to step in and add the word "new" to keep at least a shred of continuity.
    Morrison knew Venditti had used The Controllers and the Darkstars, which made him alter his original plans to use them, so he is certainly aware of what was going on in the run prior to his.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Morrison knew Venditti had used The Controllers and the Darkstars, which made him alter his original plans to use them, so he is certainly aware of what was going on in the run prior to his.
    Yes, but was he aware because he read the comics or was it because he submitted his idea and editorial said he had to change it? It's not like it's a huge slam on Venditti though. These days it seems like the last thing a new creative team wants to do when taking over is continuing the prior writer's stories. The way Venditti started his GL run, you might scratch your head and wonder if he ever read any of the Johns comics?
    Save Ferris...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Yes, but was he aware because he read the comics or was it because he submitted his idea and editorial said he had to change it?
    You really think editorial is going to try and interfere with Morrison like that? Most editors seems to let him do what he wants and get out of his way.

I think he clearly did some research before taking the job and that probably meant reading a lot of comic books including recent ones.

No spoilers for THE GREEN LANTERN #2

-- Is it just me, or is that last panel of Hal a Neal Adams swipe? (it doesn't bother me if it is, Sharp can clearly draw - that image in particular though was channeling Adams if nothing else)

Astonishing Member

I thought this issue continued its strengths from issue # 1 as well as upping its game. And getting more ridiculous.

My favorite stuff was definitely the Void stuff at the beginning, but the Copness of the Space Cops was lovely, as well as the cute reasons for why Hal was Good Cop and Trilla was bad. All the Spider Guild cultural stuff was hilarious. I did finally laugh when we see the Space Medical Center and it still has a Red Cross. I'm curious if the classic daffy look for the Dhorians will look consistent with the more hominid buff versions of Kanjar Ro we tend to get now - I think there's plenty of room for diversity in their species, of course, and who knows what modifications he's had done.

The Commander draining Star-power out of Evil Star definitely makes me curious if she'll be our Starbreaker-style Sun-Eater vampire. Seems likely enough.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Sharpe’s art is phenomenal. That shot of Oa was brilliant, first time Oa has really impressed me.

Random thoughts about THE GREEN LANTERN #2:
    -- I'm surprised the Blackstars were able to sneak up on F-Sharp Bell. I'd imagine his sense of hearing is so acute, he'd have been able to hear them coming a mile away, certainly three people right behind him.
    -- So much for Morrison reading up on the title... Evil Star says he was imprisoned for 5 years, but Hal was called away to deal with him (off-panel) not that long ago.
    -- The Starlings are robots? I guess I hadn't really thought about what they were, but I am surprised they're just robots.
    -- I thought it was odd how they had Hal sweating when interrogating the Spider - was that just about how creepy humans find spiders? I thought Hal was a "seen there, done that - nothing affects me anymore" kinda guy.
    -- Am I crazy, or was the earth just stolen earlier this year in another book?

-- Am I crazy, or was the earth just stolen earlier this year in another book?
    I can't say whether you're crazy or not. But you're right about this one. Earth was tossed into the Phantom Zone recently, and it took a lot of effort (and the help of Ray Palmer) to get it out. Like - two months ago?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

-- The Starlings are robots? I guess I hadn't really thought about what they were, but I am surprised they're just robots.
    I don't think it was ever stated, but they were powered by the Starband, so it fits.

I’m not up on GL lore, before Johns, but are all these characters/aliens established characters?

Volcano Head? Lay off the shrooms Grant lol