Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

I just read issue #2 and this really isn't what I want from a Green Lantern book. I am going to drop this book.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I’m not up on GL lore, before Johns, but are all these characters/aliens established characters?

Volcano Head? Lay off the shrooms Grant lol
    Rot Lop Fan and Evil Star are. The Controllers and Spider Guild are established races. The bug eyed guys who steal Earth are Kanjar Ro's species.

Hill Street Blues in space is not what I really want from a GL book. When did space become like New York? And maybe I missed it, but did anyone actually use their power ring for anything but travel in this book?

I don't mind weird and I don't mind pointless, but the combination of them is not quite working for me. Might be reading the cliff notes for the rest of this story.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hill Street Blues in space is not what I really want from a GL book. When did space become like New York? And maybe I missed it, but did anyone actually use their power ring for anything but travel in this book?

I don't mind weird and I don't mind pointless, but the combination of them is not quite working for me. Might be reading the cliff notes for the rest of this story.
    Rot Lop Fan used his against the Blackstars.

In second issue no GL participated in action I think. First one had some constructs.

Hill Street Blues in space is not what I really want from a GL book. When did space become like New York?
    This is supposed to be like New York?

I’m not up on GL lore, before Johns, but are all these characters/aliens established characters?

Volk Bio:
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/volk/4005-49696/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Loved the second issue even more than the first. Sharp's art continues to be one of the major highlights, but I'm also still loving how Grant writes Hal. He is such a super competent badass, without being too obnoxious the way some over the top "badasses" can be.

I'm a little bummed Evil Star got taken out so quickly, I am hoping Morrison gives some more TLC to Hal's classic villains. Especially as Evil Star was teased by Johns, but never showed up. But he left the possibility open for a possible recovery and more appearances in the future. The little Starlings were hilarious.

Vampire lady reminds me a bit of Mandrakk.

Volcano head wasn't his (though he needs to do all the drugs he wants)
    Volk was from an 80s Green Lantern comic, and Rot Lop Fan was created in one of Alan Moore's stories.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Vampire lady reminds me a bit of Mandrakk.
    Good point. Hasn't some monitor returned in one of those post-Metal series? Might be connected in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Good point. Hasn't some monitor returned in one of those post-Metal series? Might be connected in some way.
    Mandrakk the First is in the Unexpected, still undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Wow this art is freaking amazing. I remember seeing the pencil sketch version of this page a while back when they were teasing it. Seeing it in full color is something great. I'm not an artist and maybe one can add perspective, but to me this page looks like it must've been a huge pain in the ass to draw. This is what a splash page should look like. I almost get the sense that the full drawing stretches way past the borders. Well done.

Anyway... 12 issues, man. I gave Venditti something like 50 issues to figure out this schitt. I can at least give Morrison 12.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Oa is supposed to look like a space city, at least thats how it usually is depicted. And thats how this looks to me. I'm fine with it.

Its more the GLs and the way they are playing their role in the universe as space cops that isn't quite sitting well with me. Its ok, I guess. Not completely a dealbreaker for me, I guess. But its not quite what I read a GL book for.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Oa is supposed to look like a space city, at least thats how it usually is depicted. And thats how this looks to me. I'm fine with it.

Its more the GLs and the way they are playing their role in the universe as space cops that isn't quite sitting well with me. Its ok, I guess. Not completely a dealbreaker for me, I guess. But its not quite what I read a GL book for.
    It's closer to how they operated before Johns took over (and even then, only starting with the Sinestro Corps War).

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's closer to how they operated before Johns took over (and even then, only starting with the Sinestro Corps War).
    Personally, I always saw the GL's less as "cops on a beat," and more "knights errant."

- Here's a sector that's your territory.
    - Do good when you can.
    - If you screw up, we'll tell you.
    - If we've got specific tasks for you, we'll let you know.
    - If you want to come back to the castle to do some training/imprison particularly dangerous menaces in our dungeons, sure, I guess.

I mean, given how mind-crushingly HUGE GL sectors are, the notion of them actually having a "beat" in their sectors is kind of silly.

They're Emerald Knights, not Emerald Cops.

PS That drawing of Oa is gorgeous, but again - why, exactly, should Oa be a sprawling sci-fi megatropolis? There's only, like 36 permanent residents there, and at most 7200 GL's zipping in and out. Are the Guardians hosting conventions on the side?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    PS That drawing of Oa is gorgeous, but again - why, exactly, should Oa be a sprawling sci-fi megatropolis? There's only, like 36 permanent residents there, and at most 7200 GL's zipping in and out. Are the Guardians hosting conventions on the side?
    Cell blocks for prisoners, training areas, mess halls, record halls (which span the entire cosmos) and I imagine part-time living accommodations for the Corps officers must be part of the make up of the above image.