Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Loved all the Sun-Eater/Starbreaker lore here. All the cosmic vampire silly names and more tweaks to the notion of the "Blackstar"/"Darkstar"/"Evil Star" ... everyone has "Star" naming convention. And the "to be continued" about Hal Jordan's apparent murder of Volgar Zo.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

going to give it a chance not enjoying it as much as Johns at his best, GL Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War, or HJ&tGLC but much better than Vendetti's original Green Lantern run. Johns went downhill after the SCW.

I’m really loving this book. It has a strangeness to it that fits the cosmic world creating. Green Lanterns should be dealing with issues so grand that it would drive a normal human insane. Sharp’s art is absolutely amazing and helps create the grand scale but also claustrophobic when on the alien worlds. I’ve said it before but it really is reminiscent of Alan Moore’s Tales of the Green Lantern Corps. Countess Belzebeth is such a great GL villain name. Goes along with names like Sinestro and Atrocitus. Names that you know are definitely comic book super villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m really loving this book. It has a strangeness to it that fits the cosmic world creating. Green Lanterns should be dealing with issues so grand that it would drive a normal human insane. Sharp’s art is absolutely amazing and helps create the grand scale but also claustrophobic when on the alien worlds. I’ve said it before but it really is reminiscent of Alan Moore’s Tales of the Green Lantern Corps. Countess Belzebeth is such a great GL villain name. Goes along with names like Sinestro and Atrocitus. Names that you know are definitely comic book super villains.
    That's partly why I've always been partial to EVIL STAR. I was excited when he showed up (and I loved how Morrison wrote him as an unrepentant mass murderer) but it was so short-lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    One of my favorites writers on my favorite character and I haven't been disappointed. I thought Venditti did an admirable job on Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, but this has been a great change-of-pace for the franchise.
    I was about to ask what the hardcore fan base thinks about the series. I'm not a die hard GL fan and basically gave the title a chance based on Grant and the fact that I'm pretty familiar with Hal. So as a GL "outsider" so to speak, I am loving it. Great big comic book adventure. One of my favorite titles right now.

But I know a lot of people don't care for Grant's style, so I was interested in seeing how everyday GL readers and fans felt about it.

I'm not a hardcore Silver Age enthusiast so it took some time to get used to the style of the book, but currently there's nothing else like it, so I'm in for the long run. Thanks in no small part to Liam Sharp's art as well. Also it's not like you can get your Hal fix anywhere else currently, he seems to be as cut off from the main DCU events as he has ever been.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-13-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Hal Jordan is my favorite character and Morrison is one of my favorite creators, so this series is like Christmas for me.

So far, so awesome.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's one of my three favorite titles in DC's main line right now, along with Shazam and WW.

Best thing to happen to Hal and the GL in a while. Morrison and Sharp are a killer combo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The biggest problem for me with Hal losing it against criminal scum and going over the line is that he just spent the *last storyarc* with the Darkstars fighting Tomar-Tu tooth and nail about how the GLC are not executioners and that they're better than that. I would like to think there's more going on than what we're seeing. Hal pretending to go rogue (again) to infiltrate the Blackstars seems more plausible to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Yeah, this seems like the most plausible theory to me too.
    yea I am in the Hal didn't kill anyone category, just part of a scheme for him to infiltrate, his victim will be found alive and well in a sci-cell by arc's conclusion, a standard typical comics trope/trick.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    yea I am in the Hal didn't kill anyone category, just part of a scheme for him to infiltrate, his victim will be found alive and well in a sci-cell by arc's conclusion, a standard typical comics trope/trick.
    I think Hal did it. Well, at least I hope he did it. Otherwise, it would be... well, too typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Hal Jordan is my favorite character and Morrison is one of my favorite creators, so this series is like Christmas for me.
    just imagine if this title was twice a month.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I figured we'll probably discover that the Kanjar Ro species is like ... a hive-collective creature. So like, "murdering" the humanoid isn't. And that it's something Hal knows but the others don't. Like they're a hive-collective of tiny insectoid or grub creatures (like Durge from Star Wars) and will eventually regenerate their husk. Which could explain a lot of Kanjar Ro's supervillain downfalls and returns ... but could also explain why they have such an old-timey weird look at cosmic slavery. Would an insectoid race of colony-creatures see slavery as bad even?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I figured we'll probably discover that the Kanjar Ro species is like ... a hive-collective creature. So like, "murdering" the humanoid isn't. And that it's something Hal knows but the others don't. Like they're a hive-collective of tiny insectoid or grub creatures (like Durge from Star Wars) and will eventually regenerate their husk. Which could explain a lot of Kanjar Ro's supervillain downfalls and returns ... but could also explain why they have such an old-timey weird look at cosmic slavery. Would an insectoid race of colony-creatures see slavery as bad even?
    Morrison has been spotlighting Hal's knowledge of other races in this book, so something like that is very plausible to me. (maybe with Hal's knowledge of this race, the placement of those nails were more like acupuncture needles that simply put the guy into a deep sleep...)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    just imagine if this title was twice a month.
    It wouldn't be as good, because Sharp wouldn't be able to do every issue. Now, if they were to pull a Wonder Woman and have Sharp do every other issue of the main Hal Jordan storyline and give us a crazy one-off Tales of the Green Lantern Corps with rotating guest artist in between, I wouldn't complain

However, given how busy Morrison is, that frankly wouldn't be possible.