Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    I was about to ask what the hardcore fan base thinks about the series. I'm not a die hard GL fan and basically gave the title a chance based on Grant and the fact that I'm pretty familiar with Hal. So as a GL "outsider" so to speak, I am loving it. Great big comic book adventure. One of my favorite titles right now.

But I know a lot of people don't care for Grant's style, so I was interested in seeing how everyday GL readers and fans felt about it.
    i don't think i'm hardcore (maybe somewhere between hardcore and casual fan), but i'm glad with grant and liam's take on hal.

the title is worth every penny i think. it definitely isn't something your'e done with after one reading.

With the solicit for May's issue, it looks like we're returning to The World Within the Power Ring. Wonder if Myrwhydden will make an appearance?

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I can never get into DC books written by Morrison. I've always found him to be one of the worst writers (when it comes to my DC heroes). I absolutely hated his runs on Batman titles and All-Star Superman. I went into reading the GL title with a little optimism, thinking that his "weirdness" might translate well to a GL title (much better than a character like Batman) but so far I'm really not liking it very much.

I can appreciate that the man has a talent for writing a particular type of story, but (in my opinion) I don't think mainstream DC heroes benefit from his storytelling style. Again...I know I'm in the minority and probably bordering on heresy for those that love his work!

I hope when this title ends, we can get a new team of writers and focus on another GL besides Hal. I'm really played out on Jordan.
    Last edited by RickWJ324; 02-21-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    With the solicit for May's issue, it looks like we're returning to The World Within the Power Ring. Wonder if Myrwhydden will make an appearance?
    thanks for the link. didn't really knew myrwhydden before...

i'm wondering how a universe could exist within the ring when hal created that ring... oh well, it's grant, so i'll just enjoy the ride.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    thanks for the link. didn't really knew myrwhydden before...

i'm wondering how a universe could exist within the ring when hal created that ring... oh well, it's grant, so i'll just enjoy the ride.
    I think it might be more accurate to say Hal re-created his ring. It's been destroyed and recreated about a half a couple times already.

Englehart even went out of his way to have John and Hal swap rings when Tomar Re died. That ring is special, even if it exists only as thought and will. It's physical form can be destroyed, but its essence remains.

Abin Sur's ring is Hal's ring, which he passed on to John Stewart, who then passed it back to Hal, who crushed under his boot as Parallax, was reforged by Ganthet to give to Kyle, who got another copy of it from younger Hal Jordan, which he gave to John & Guy, and back to the resurrected Hal Jordan, who then gave it Simon.

Phew.

Suffice it to say, the ring's been through a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think it might be more accurate to say Hal re-created his ring. It's been destroyed and recreated about a half a couple times already.

Englehart even went out of his way to have John and Hal swap rings when Tomar Re died. That ring is special, even if it exists only as thought and will. It's physical form can be destroyed, but its essence remains.

Abin Sur's ring is Hal's ring, which he passed on to John Stewart, who then passed it back to Hal, who crushed under his boot as Parallax, was reforged by Ganthet to give to Kyle, who got another copy of it from younger Hal Jordan, which he gave to John & Guy, and back to the resurrected Hal Jordan, who then gave it Simon.

Phew.

I don't know why you think Hal "re-created" his old ring. His current one was forged purely from his own willpower, (after he'd been running around with Krona's power gauntlet and hadn't been wearing a ring in awhile) it looked distinctly different from other rings, (as how EVS drew it) and it's not the same ring anyway. He swapped it out when they went from the "ring with a disk on it" design to the more integrated "one piece of metal where the symbol with no circle around it melds into the ring" design. (like in the movie)

And then, there's the whole "Hal is wearing Malvolio's ring" thing...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know why you think Hal "re-created" his old ring. His current one was forged purely from his own willpower, (after he'd been running around with Krona's power gauntlet and hadn't been wearing a ring in awhile) it looked distinctly different from other rings, (as how EVS drew it) and it's not the same ring anyway. He swapped it out when they went from the "ring with a disk on it" design to the more integrated "one piece of metal where the symbol with no circle around it melds into the ring" design. (like in the movie)

Hal had his old circle ring upgraded to the melded design back in the 80s, too. The ring is constantly being destroyed then recreated, but it always ends up being Hal's original ring somehow. Like I said, I think Venditti just made more concrete what had already been the case, that Hal's ring is a construct of his own will and imagination that has been destroyed many times physically and keeps coming back.

The point is, Hal's ring is always the same ring Abin Sur gave him no matter how many shenanigans it's gone through

Phew.

that was really long.

so wait, hal's/abin sur's ring is now with simon?

i was thinking (same with j9ac9k) that the ring hal is wearing right now was forged from hal's willpower. that the ring is different from the rest of the power rings of the glc....

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

ok, i am now a bit lost with this ring deal.

hal was wearing lord malvolio's ring before emerald twilight? or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I can never get into DC books written by Morrison. I've always found him to be one of the worst writers (when it comes to my DC heroes). I absolutely hated his runs on Batman titles and All-Star Superman. I went into reading the GL title with a little optimism, thinking that his "weirdness" might translate well to a GL title (much better than a character like Batman) but so far I'm really not liking it very much.

I can appreciate that the man has a talent for writing a particular type of story, but (in my opinion) I don't think mainstream DC heroes benefit from his storytelling style. Again...I know I'm in the minority and probably bordering on heresy for those that love his work!

I hope when this title ends, we can get a new team of writers and focus on another GL besides Hal. I'm really played out on Jordan.
    What about his writing don't you like? And I'm curious, do you dislike all his work or is there any stuff you enjoyed from him?

that was really long.

so wait, hal's/abin sur's ring is now with simon?

i was thinking (same with j9ac9k) that the ring hal is wearing right now was forged from hal's willpower. that the ring is different from the rest of the power rings of the glc....
    Abin Sur's ring is currently with Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, and Simon, yes. John had Tomar Re's old ring, and Guy had a completely different ring forged by the more aggressive faction of Guardians during the Crisis on Infinite Earths, but both of those were replaced with copies of young Hal's ring when he was stuck in the present.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 02-22-2019 at 05:38 PM.

ok, i am now a bit lost with this ring deal.

hal was wearing lord malvolio's ring before emerald twilight? or something like that?
    Back during the Action Comics Weekly era when Denny O'Neil had taken editorial control of the GL franchise, James Owlsey/Priest was writing Hal and did a story in which a baddie named Lord Malvolio, who was wearing a Victorian version of Alan Scott's costume, destroyed Hal's ring in order to trick him into putting on Malvolio's.

When Andy Hefler regained control of the GL franchise, the Lord Malvolio subplot was subsequently forgotten, even though it would have been a convenient get out of jail free card for the whole Parallax fiasco. The Action Comics Weekly period wasn't a particularly strong time for GL as Denny O'Neil never quite clicked with the character and kept getting his writers to "fix" Hal, such as when he had Peter David explain that Abin Sur had lobotomized Hal in order to make him fearless.

Like Malvolio, this subplot was never resolved.

Abin Sur's ring is currently with Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, and Simon, yes. John had Tomar Re's old ring, and Guy had a completely different ring forged by the more aggressive faction of Guardians during the Crisis on Infinite Earths, but both of those were replaced with copies of young Hal's ring when he was stuck in the present.
    wait, does this mean that abin sur's rign was divided into 5 different rings?

The latest issue is a hoot. Big, silly ideas from Morrison with that Morrisonian dialogue flair and incredible art from Sharpe. It also seems to confirm the Countess is Starbreaker's daughter, which I figured.

I got a kick out of the panel at the beginning with the various vampires. Nice to see Morbius, Graf Orlok and various stripes of Anne Rice characters among the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    What about his writing don't you like? And I'm curious, do you dislike all his work or is there any stuff you enjoyed from him?
    In my opinion, Morrison has a brilliant mind for crafting certain types of books. When left to his own creations he can churn out some pretty cool things (perhaps not my cup of tea exactly, but I can appreciate his creativity). When it comes to him writing for DC mainstream characters I just find that he's too "over the top" for my tastes. He's too focused on bringing back the most obscure silver age things that most likely should've been left in the past. I didn't like All-Star Superman due to that reason nor do I want to see modern Batman books dealing with Batman of zur-en-arrh, or a Bruce Wayne traveling through history and becoming pirates, Cave-Batman, or any other silly thing he can pull out of his head.
    Again... this is totally my opinion, but for me his "creativity" doesn't make for a good Batman or Superman book. So far I'm not enjoying his GL run either.