Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    wait, does this mean that abin sur's rign was divided into 5 different rings?
    Yeah, the old rings were able to replicate themselves. The last time it happened was during GL: Rebirth when it replicated itself one more time to make Guy a GL again after his decade long stint as a Vuldarian shape-shifter

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

That was a lot of fun. Morrison really nails Hal here.

“I’ve lived, I’ve died, I’ve been reborn. I’ve relived my Dad’s death and every betrayal a thousand times. I’m a founding member of the Justice League of Planet Earth, so let’s get serious…I don’t do inner demons and I don’t do regrets.”
    morrison's take on hal is really interesting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    morrison's take on hal is really interesting.
    I like that Hal's so spaced that he can't really tack "of America" onto the Justice League. Probably pretty hard for him to see in terms of "nations" on his homeworld. Is it the authority given him by the ring, the love of the whole planet of diverse people, or just his bullheadedness in just going anywhere and doing anything and shirking the authorities? It all plays into classic Hal Jordan depictions and reminds me strongly of Fifty-Two, actually, where the storyline is all about ... Earth nations and his jurisdiction.

Also really digging the callbacks to Final Night and Starbreaker. It's a kind of a strange mix what this run is becoming a pseudo-sequel to. Obviously Kanjar Ro's debut in early JLA, as well as Starbreaker and Sun-Eater stuff and Final Night in a big way, plus being a tangent or gaiden spin on Controller/Darkstar storylines ... and Anti-Matter Universe stuff.

That feels like the biggest trend - while Johns (and then Venditti) definitely went back to the well of the original Green Lantern run for a lot of big story pulls ... it feels like Morrison is bringing in a lot more of Gardner Fox's JLA stuff than his Lantern solo title stuff. Which is definitely a delineation or difference.

Judging from the future glimpse preview of a Hard-Traveling Heroes jaunt, Multiversal Lanterns, and such, it looks like that trend will continue.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 03-07-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Great issue. This was a lot of fun.
    Who is the Countess's father that Ollie killed? I never read Final Night, did it happen there?

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    In my opinion, Morrison has a brilliant mind for crafting certain types of books. When left to his own creations he can churn out some pretty cool things (perhaps not my cup of tea exactly, but I can appreciate his creativity). When it comes to him writing for DC mainstream characters I just find that he's too "over the top" for my tastes. He's too focused on bringing back the most obscure silver age things that most likely should've been left in the past. I didn't like All-Star Superman due to that reason nor do I want to see modern Batman books dealing with Batman of zur-en-arrh, or a Bruce Wayne traveling through history and becoming pirates, Cave-Batman, or any other silly thing he can pull out of his head.
    Again... this is totally my opinion, but for me his "creativity" doesn't make for a good Batman or Superman book. So far I'm not enjoying his GL run either.
    Why are they better left in the past? I think he's always able to modernize them very well, especially as these characters are silly to begin with.

It's all down to taste though. I prefer Pre-Crisis Batman and Superman, so maybe that's why. I think his ideas mesh better with those kind of takes than what came afterward. But it's all YMMV.

The Countess' father is is likely Starbreaker, a Justice League villain that's shown up periodically. interestingly, the McDuffie run revealed he was an adult Star Eater, potentially tying in here.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Great issue. This was a lot of fun.
    Who is the Countess's father that Ollie killed? I never read Final Night, did it happen there?

Why are they better left in the past? I think he's always able to modernize them very well, especially as these characters are silly to begin with.

It's all down to taste though. I prefer Pre-Crisis Batman and Superman, so maybe that's why. I think his ideas mesh better with those kind of takes than what came afterward. But it's all YMMV.
    You nailed it exactly...it's all about "taste". I'm honestly not knocking the guy or his fanbase. His writing just doesn't do it for me when it comes to mainstream DC characters. I find most of his Batman and Superman books to be some of my least favorite stories of those two characters. I also very much disliked his Wonder Woman Earth One book. I'm a bit behind on the new GL title (have them all but I haven't had time to read them yet). What I have read though, I found some of it to be ok but overall I'm not a big fan.
    But I do respect those that enjoy his work and can understand that he has a fanbase that thoroughly enjoys anything he puts on paper.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    You nailed it exactly...it's all about "taste". I'm honestly not knocking the guy or his fanbase. His writing just doesn't do it for me when it comes to mainstream DC characters.
    I know this is sacrilege to say, but I wasn't a big fan of his JLA. I liked some things - his choices in some of the members, especially Oracle. But some of his storylines were just confusing.

To this day, I still don't know what Rock Of Ages is really about. And I never knew why the Spectre was so angry with Triumph for his capture. Spectre was shown being trapped before Triumph ever fell under the control of Lkz. Just things like that.

But you can't deny that he has a unique writing style and his books sell. That's for sure.

Well, I'm glad to have returned to this book and stuck it out. This issue was a huge payoff to the last four issues and explained everything I was having a problem with. Maybe Morrison knows what he is doing after all.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Been loving this book thus far. I wasn't sure where he was going with Hal last the end of issue 3 and 4, but Morrison tied it all together and is doing some real fun stuff here. The Green Arrow name-drop makes me hope we see them team up soon.

Astonishing Member

Im intrigued. I wonder if the Overmaster thing is reffering to, well, Overmaster.

I wondered the same thing, especially since he appeared among the potential buyers in issue #3.

I’m loving this book. Great issue. It’s really fun for me as someone who normally doesn’t read GL stuff. Feels so fresh.

And titles like this really show the contrast of how bad decompressed storytelling is. Such a big difference.

This book is a gem. One of the few truly unique ones DC are still putting out. I even get some Moore Swamp Thing vibes for some reason.

Latest issue is out and it's pretty good. We see some great action on Rann, a good appearance by the whole Strange family and the fallout of the Controller's plan.

A few things of note:
    Strangelets are a real (theoretical) thing! Note the word play with Aleea holding the Strangelet.

The last page made me smile, considering I brought him back last page in this thread.