Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
Results 466 to 480 of 517
  1. #466
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    The solicit for the latest issue and first annual are out. I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess Grant is bringing back Hal's namesake nephew Airwave III based on the solicits, which I'm fine with.

  2. #467
    Astonishing Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The solicit for the latest issue and first annual are out. I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess Grant is bringing back Hal's namesake nephew Airwave III based on the solicits, which I'm fine with.
    was it because of the yellow gloves on the cover?

    (i've read in another thread that airwave died in infinite crisis.)

  3. #468
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Mostly because of the family reunion subplot, since Airwave is Hal's cousin (not nephew like I thought.) That plus the smart phone (which I know don't run on or use radiowaves, but few things do these days) and I think there's ap retty good case for it being Airwave. As you said, the gloves even match.

    And yeah, Airwave did die in Infinite Crisis and was later a Black Lantern. But a silly crossover death rarely matters in comics.

  4. #469
    Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The solicit for the latest issue and first annual are out. I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess Grant is bringing back Hal's namesake nephew Airwave III based on the solicits, which I'm fine with.
    Ah, that makes perfect sense.

  5. #470
    Astonishing Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Mostly because of the family reunion subplot, since Airwave is Hal's cousin (not nephew like I thought.) That plus the smart phone (which I know don't run on or use radiowaves, but few things do these days) and I think there's ap retty good case for it being Airwave. As you said, the gloves even match.

    And yeah, Airwave did die in Infinite Crisis and was later a Black Lantern. But a silly crossover death rarely matters in comics.
    i'm now curious. i'll probably wiki who airwave is, i mean what are the chances that hal'l have a cousin who's also in the superhero business.

    it's cool that morisson is bringing all these obscure characters in his title. i hope he uses itty and tom too.

  6. #471
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    it's cool that morisson is bringing all these obscure characters in his title. i hope he uses itty and tom too.
    Itty seems to be a perfect fit for Morrison. I'd almost expect it now.

  7. #472
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i'm now curious. i'll probably wiki who airwave is, i mean what are the chances that hal'l have a cousin who's also in the superhero business.

    it's cool that morisson is bringing all these obscure characters in his title. i hope he uses itty and tom too.
    Not just a cousin, but Hal's uncle Larry was a Golden Age hero, ans his uncle's wife was briefly took up the role too. That whole side of the family has been Airwave at one point or another. Somebody like Morrison can have a field day with how crazy four superheroes in one family is.

  8. #473
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Not just a cousin, but Hal's uncle Larry was a Golden Age hero, ans his uncle's wife was briefly took up the role too. That whole side of the family has been Airwave at one point or another. Somebody like Morrison can have a field day with how crazy four superheroes in one family is.
    Any chance he'd bring back Helen? Was she revealed to be some kind of celestial being in "The Spectre" or something? Like Hal, I forgot most of what happened when he was the Spectre...

  9. #474
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Not just a cousin, but Hal's uncle Larry was a Golden Age hero, ans his uncle's wife was briefly took up the role too. That whole side of the family has been Airwave at one point or another. Somebody like Morrison can have a field day with how crazy four superheroes in one family is.
    Now that's interesting. How did tha5 worked though? Hal was Silver age. Did DC retcon a golden age hero as Hal's uncle?

  10. #475
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Now that's interesting. How did tha5 worked though? Hal was Silver age. Did DC retcon a golden age hero as Hal's uncle?
    Yeah. The Golden Age Air Wave was Larry Jordan and was retconned into being Hal's uncle sometime in the 1970s, I think during Denny O'Neil's run on GA/GL. Airwave was a GA hero who was featured entirely in Detective Comics originally.

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Any chance he'd bring back Helen? Was she revealed to be some kind of celestial being in "The Spectre" or something? Like Hal, I forgot most of what happened when he was the Spectre...
    Helen briefly became the second Airwave after Larry was killed, as shown in the "Whatever Happened to the original Airwave?" backup in DC Comics Presents #40. AFAIK she wasn't in Spectre at all.

  11. #476
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    The whole Jordan family is pretty fun. There's Uncle Airwave, Great Grandpa Marshal Jordan.

    I think there might even be an Uncle Tiberius in there as a nod to Kirk, who Hal is cut from the same cloth.

  12. #477
    Spectacular Member Lirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Helen briefly became the second Airwave after Larry was killed, as shown in the "Whatever Happened to the original Airwave?" backup in DC Comics Presents #40. AFAIK she wasn't in Spectre at all.
    I think they're referring to this Helen Jordan, who is/was Jack Jordan's kid (it says she was called Jennifer Pre-Crisis).

  13. #478
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,401

    Default

    I have to admit I'm not overly familiar with the Jordan family outside of a few Air Wave appearances. But a collection of siblings and cousins can add a lot to the character.

    I will also admit, the linking of two characters with the same last name together in the same family is something that's been done a lot in comics and other forms of fandom. I'm sorry, Robin is not Spock's ancestor because Dick and Amanda share the same last name. Yes, I am a wet blanket for this particular trope. I do not apologize.

  14. #479
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I have to admit I'm not overly familiar with the Jordan family outside of a few Air Wave appearances. But a collection of siblings and cousins can add a lot to the character.

    I will also admit, the linking of two characters with the same last name together in the same family is something that's been done a lot in comics and other forms of fandom. I'm sorry, Robin is not Spock's ancestor because Dick and Amanda share the same last name. Yes, I am a wet blanket for this particular trope. I do not apologize.
    It can be overdone, but I think it works when done well. I still don't know why Isabella tried to distance Lynn Stewart from being John Stewart's sister when it was his idea in the first place. Lean into that stuff. Green Lantern being Black Lightning's brother in law is an awesome idea.

  15. #480
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The whole Jordan family is pretty fun. There's Uncle Airwave, Great Grandpa Marshal Jordan.

    I think there might even be an Uncle Tiberius in there as a nod to Kirk, who Hal is cut from the same cloth.
    Not familiar with Marshal Jordan. I guess he's from the wild west?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •