Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Not familiar with Marshal Jordan. I guess he's from the wild west?
    Yeah, he was a marshal in Coffin Springs, AZ (originaly of Smallville) that teamed up with Abin Sur during the wild west to help fight against an alien threat. That was in the Legends of the DC Universe series that ran in the late 90s.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Not familiar with Marshal Jordan. I guess he's from the wild west?
    Yeah, he teamed-up with Abin Sur in pursuit of Traitor, the man who killed his predecessor Scorr?

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Yeah, he was a marshal in Coffin Springs, AZ (originaly of Smallville) that teamed up with Abin Sur during the wild west to help fight against an alien threat. That was in the Legends of the DC Universe series that ran in the late 90s.
    I remember really liking it back when it came out. The Abin Sur as Yul Brenner with Eastwood's poncho is an all-time classic cover.
    c0ff8e72d32fa43365ba1e0a377e31a0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Yeah. The Golden Age Air Wave was Larry Jordan and was retconned into being Hal's uncle sometime in the 1970s, I think during Denny O'Neil's run on GA/GL. Airwave was a GA hero who was featured entirely in Detective Comics originally.

Helen briefly became the second Airwave after Larry was killed, as shown in the "Whatever Happened to the original Airwave?" backup in DC Comics Presents #40. AFAIK she wasn't in Spectre at all.
    i got confused at first, i was thinking of brainwave of infinity inc.

did airwave and hal went on an adventure together?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i got confused at first, i was thinking of brainwave of infinity inc.

did airwave and hal went on an adventure together?
    A couple times, I think, but none of the team-ups were very memorable.

Astonishing Member

How does one get nominated in the Eisners? Because I'd be happy to nominate Grant and Liam.

So.....issue 7

AMAZING

I mean, is there anyone even close to Morrison’s ability? There aren’t any writers even trying. (Maybe Si Spurrier will get there one day)

This issue blew me away.

Is there anything else like this being produced for the mainstream superhero audience?

Kudos to Morrison & Sharp for taking such a big swing with this title. There's always a risk of whiffing it completely, but thankfully that has not been the case with The Green Lantern. I honestly can't believe these two guys haven't worked together before. Their styles compliment each other as perfectly as Quitely and Porter did with Morrison.

Astonishing Member

Liam is perfect for the stories that Grant is telling.

Issue #7 is so strange and exciting. Reminded me of the same wonder and amazement I had when I saw The Neverending Story on video when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    So.....issue 7

AMAZING

I mean, is there anyone even close to Morrison’s ability? There aren’t any writers even trying. (Maybe Si Spurrier will get there one day)

This issue blew me away.
    glad that he's with dc.

i guess the issue was special to him. if i remember on an interview that liam gave, grant was a little emotional with this..

Astonishing Member

Can't wait to see Grant's take on Hal and Oliver together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    So.....issue 7

AMAZING

This issue blew me away.
    Is this an issue that comes apart to make a big picture? The graphics look to do that but I can't see any connections and frankly I'm too cheap to buy another issue and cut it up to do so.

I love Grant Morrison but every here and there I just can't find my way in. I was so excited about this run but it's really left me cold. Hoping that will change any issue now. Not saying it's bad--nothing Morrison writes is bad. Just saying I can't find my way in.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I love Grant Morrison but every here and there I just can't find my way in. I was so excited about this run but it's really left me cold. Hoping that will change any issue now. Not saying it's bad--nothing Morrison writes is bad. Just saying I can't find my way in.
    I went into it with a 2000AD mindset and it's helped quite a bit.
    I get the impression this is what Morrison was going for too. The artwork, and the general storytelling has that vibe about it.
    (Good thing I enjoyed Judge Dredd back in the day)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    You didn't enjoy the issue in which Hal punches out God and arrests the entire planet Earth for being intoxicated? That issue was all comedy.

The 2000AD comparison is apt. Each issue is a different genre and tone. Some are horror, some are farce, some are fairy tales. The beauty of Hal Jordan's character is that he's such an elegantly simple archetype, the superhero space cop, that you can slot him into almost any kind of story and he'll work because the guy isn't fazed by anything. Whatever you throw at him, he'll dive in and get the job done.

It's both a throwback and radical because mainstream escapist fiction doesn't really do this anymore, where the focus is so squarely on examining the psychology of the protagonist. This isn't really able that. Hal Jordan isn't riddled with self-doubt or haunted by past trauma anymore. This isn't to say he's without depth, but what Morrison has done is show how complicated a guy like that, who's seen and done things beyond imagination, while putting him in increasingly complex situations to see how he'll respond.