Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Here's a fun article with some backstory of this issue and Kwyzz:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07...cs-continuity/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Do we know who the 2 bug characters laying with Marvel Maid, Regor, Logi and Quisto is. A Solarman was mentioned in the same issue as Aeroman and Windlass which may have been replaced by Solarwoman since.
    I think the bug guy on the right is an alternate earth version of "Ant-head Superman" , since he's wearing a costume similar to Kal's.

Not to be too much of a downer, but we don't get any resolution to who the mystery Lantern on the cover is as she's not present at all. I'm guessing at this point she's just a Sharpe original.

The issue itself is dense as all out and has some interesting bits and bobs for Morrison's DC Cosmology, like the nature of the 7 Unknown Earths. Character interaction is boss, with one moment in particular standing out as something I'm surprised Grant got away with. We also get final confirmation that, yes, Earth-15 is the one from Countdown, that part of it is absolutely canon.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

looks like morrison going to bring the rest seven unknown universes to the tableThe Green Lantern 010-015.jpg The Green Lantern 010-016.jpg
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Astonishing Member

I didn't expect to see John Stewart from Earth-23, but I dug it. He just feels like John Stewart, talking architecture, akin to Stewart's depiction in Final Crisis. It never clicked with me that having Bat-Lantern in here would just straight up feel like an alt-riff on Morrison's Batman, but I shouldn't have been surprised. Lovely to see Lamplighter get a bit more fleshed out. Magic Lantern was just funny and fun and goofy.

Deep cuts ...

Earth-15 has parallel commonalities with Earth-51. Earth-51 seemed to be supposedly restored at the end of Final Crisis, being the Kirby-Haven. It's always funny to note which Earths are almost purely reflective of particular creators, like how Earth-6 is all Stan Lee (monitored by Weeja Dell) and Earth-4 is all Ditko and so on and so forth. So Final Crisis has Nix Uotan on trial for Earth-51 being destroyed ... which seemed to be Earth-15 in the actual Countdown, destroyed by Superboy Prime. (All but confirmed by the Superman here being Zod, yeah?)

We've seen it hinted that the Cosmic Grail is a Green Lantern Battery of some variety. And we also at this point know that VOLTHOOM is from Earth-15, right? I think originally Volthoom was implied to be from Earth-3 (backwards American flag, heart on the wrong side?) or from the Anti-Matter Earth (which is basically a mirror of Earth-3) Either way, Volthoom seems to have visited those places and imprinted his "Power Ring" into them. But recent books have placed his origin as Earth-15. I thought the implication was that the Travel Lantern was the Cosmic Grail, but that notion is easily discarded if we get Morrison actually telling the Cosmic Grail story he wants to tell. And it's no problem to reconcile the Travel Lantern having originated from Doomed Earth-15 anyway.

Other things of note ... the Green Lantern of Earth-2 is missing. At this point in time, it's true, we don't actually know if Earth-2 is home of the Golden Age Alan Scott of classic comics, or the New 52 Alan Scott seen in Earth 2/Worlds End/Convergence. And we don't know if Earth-2 has been Rebirthed. But we do know that the original Earth-2 does exist in the Multiverse (Convergence) and that it didn't supersede or "replace" New 52 Earth 2. But the implication is surely that the MISSING LANTERN referred to is one of the Alan Scotts, either Classic or New 52. And then the fun jab about nobody being able to lay claim to "EARTH 1" was pretty funny and meta, since the Earth 1 line of books is in flux and it refers back to the Anti-Matter Earth storyline of JLA: Earth 2.

More Abin Sur-20 was great. More of the Super Watch was lovely, including the GLC treating Halk-Kar like a novice civilian. The ... um, Matter/Anti-Matter "Equinox" looking cosmic monster is pretty rad. Not sure where he's going with that thing. Little hints of the GLC members being curious what the Guardians are up to with Hal Jordan. More hints about that Blackstar medallion. More of the Athmoora fantastical characters. Mention of Carol, or Carol of Earth-11, should be interesting. Wouldn't Carol of Earth-11 be a guy? Carol is a gender neutral name, of course. That should be fun. This is starting to get pretty loaded with references, activities and things. Like ... Crisis-big.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

By the way, for those curious, the planet Uugo is from the Silver Age Green Lantern issue GL v2 #24 in the story "The Strange WorldCalled Green Lantern!". He predates Mogo by a full twenty years and may have been the inspiration for him. I suspect the name Uugo may be a riff on Ego the Living Planet.

The wonderful madness of this run keeps shining each month. If this is really supposed to be Morrison's swan song from mainstream US comics, he's going out with a bang.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Where and who is dark rainbow fin lady? I must know!
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

I didn't read the Bat-Lantern Elseworlds, but kudos to whoever decided to make the amalgam Shark/Penguin villain for Bat-Lantern. I chuckled at Morrison's exchange between Bat-Lantern and Hippie-Lantern: "It takes grim determination."

BTW, Hank Hallmark > Hal Jordan, you know it's true, folks ...
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I didn't read the Bat-Lantern Elseworlds, but kudos to whoever decided to make the amalgam Shark/Penguin villain for Bat-Lantern. I chuckled at Morrison's exchange between Bat-Lantern and Hippie-Lantern: "It takes grim determination."
    That one was pure Morrison. The other characters in Darkest Knight were Joe Chill possessing Sinestro, Selina Kyle as the Star Sapphire and a brilliantly named Harvey Dent/Evil Star fusion called Binary Star.

Hmmm, is Custodian Dextra a lavender pink Zamaron? Is Morrison implying, through subtext, that a universe with blue male Guardians is correlated with a less ideal and more unforgiving reality?
    Last edited by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier; 08-09-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I didn't expect to see John Stewart from Earth-23, but I dug it. He just feels like John Stewart, talking architecture, akin to Stewart's depiction in Final Crisis. It never clicked with me that having Bat-Lantern in here would just straight up feel like an alt-riff on Morrison's Batman, but I shouldn't have been surprised. Lovely to see Lamplighter get a bit more fleshed out. Magic Lantern was just funny and fun and goofy.

Deep cuts ...

Earth-15 has parallel commonalities with Earth-51. Earth-51 seemed to be supposedly restored at the end of Final Crisis, being the Kirby-Haven. It's always funny to note which Earths are almost purely reflective of particular creators, like how Earth-6 is all Stan Lee (monitored by Weeja Dell) and Earth-4 is all Ditko and so on and so forth. So Final Crisis has Nix Uotan on trial for Earth-51 being destroyed ... which seemed to be Earth-15 in the actual Countdown, destroyed by Superboy Prime. (All but confirmed by the Superman here being Zod, yeah?)

We've seen it hinted that the Cosmic Grail is a Green Lantern Battery of some variety. And we also at this point know that VOLTHOOM is from Earth-15, right? I think originally Volthoom was implied to be from Earth-3 (backwards American flag, heart on the wrong side?) or from the Anti-Matter Earth (which is basically a mirror of Earth-3) Either way, Volthoom seems to have visited those places and imprinted his "Power Ring" into them. But recent books have placed his origin as Earth-15. I thought the implication was that the Travel Lantern was the Cosmic Grail, but that notion is easily discarded if we get Morrison actually telling the Cosmic Grail story he wants to tell. And it's no problem to reconcile the Travel Lantern having originated from Doomed Earth-15 anyway.

Other things of note ... the Green Lantern of Earth-2 is missing. At this point in time, it's true, we don't actually know if Earth-2 is home of the Golden Age Alan Scott of classic comics, or the New 52 Alan Scott seen in Earth 2/Worlds End/Convergence. And we don't know if Earth-2 has been Rebirthed. But we do know that the original Earth-2 does exist in the Multiverse (Convergence) and that it didn't supersede or "replace" New 52 Earth 2. But the implication is surely that the MISSING LANTERN referred to is one of the Alan Scotts, either Classic or New 52. And then the fun jab about nobody being able to lay claim to "EARTH 1" was pretty funny and meta, since the Earth 1 line of books is in flux and it refers back to the Anti-Matter Earth storyline of JLA: Earth 2.

More Abin Sur-20 was great. More of the Super Watch was lovely, including the GLC treating Halk-Kar like a novice civilian. The ... um, Matter/Anti-Matter "Equinox" looking cosmic monster is pretty rad. Not sure where he's going with that thing. Little hints of the GLC members being curious what the Guardians are up to with Hal Jordan. More hints about that Blackstar medallion. More of the Athmoora fantastical characters. Mention of Carol, or Carol of Earth-11, should be interesting. Wouldn't Carol of Earth-11 be a guy? Carol is a gender neutral name, of course. That should be fun. This is starting to get pretty loaded with references, activities and things. Like ... Crisis-big.
    Ha! I didn’t put that together. Hal should be pretty surprised when they finally rescue Carol.

Thanks for the story breakdown. There was so much going on in this issue and so many references to old GL/DC stories. I definitely had to reread a few pages before moving on.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

Deep cuts ...

Superboy Prime destroyed both Earths, 15 and 51. The first one was destroyed by an explosion caused by him after he attacked that Earth's core. It must be the same one from Countdown, besides the Zod-Superman, this ghost Batman (Jason) has the same suit.

The second one was destroyed by an explosion during a fight between Superboy Prime and Monarch/Captain Atom, but it looks like this Earth barely survived and was recreated as a Kirby's World -in Countdown it was first reborn as a quiet world but then the Great Disaster happened-

If Nix was exiled because he couldn't protect His Earth, you can only wonder what Happened to Earth 15's Monitor.

About Earth 2, I hope is the New52. It got his "Rebirth" after an amazonian reboot device was used by the Ultra-Humanite, and a new timeline was created.

About Convergence, i have always seen it as the origin of the current local multiverse in a retroactive way: once the original Earth 2, the Elseworlds Earths ante the other ones were released, they were rebooted and became the current New52 universes. I assume Morrison is ignoring the Earth-14, one of the 7 locked universes, that was showed during Convergence and that was destroyed.

I don't remember very well Voolthoom origin from Green Lanterns, only that he was from Earth 15. Maybe the events that destroyed his world were caused by Superboy Prime's actions.
    Last edited by Batgrayson; 08-09-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Fantastic Member

May I ask' is this series a minimum run? Have we a fixed number for the run?