Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Morrison and Coipel on Green Lantern would be the sensational ideal! Please make it happen, DC.
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think Shazam's on the same hands-off list that JSA and the Legion are on.
    but why they've barely done anything with him
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And it's not helping sales.

That is what is turning folks off about the Hal & TGLC book-they don't want to read about HAL or that greatest BS.

Thus you have alienated the other Lanterns fans and one of those fanbases tired of being lectured about being a GL fan. Because that same request for respect was never shown to Kyle, John, Jessica & Simon.
    "The other Lantern fans" were going to be alienated regardless if Hal was called the greatest or not. He wasn't called that way when Johns was writing him, it still alienated other fans because DC pushed other Lanterns to the side after his return. As long as Hal was the main guy, some fans were always going to hate it. That goes for any Lantern that's being pushed to the top at the expense of others. The "greatest Lantern" thing, while annoying, is on a purely superficial level. How many times was Kyle told that he would be greater than his predecessor ever was. It's not something DC started doing in recent years.

I don't even know if this is true or not but the idea of it gives me an erection.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And it's not helping sales.

That is what is turning folks off about the Hal & TGLC book-they don't want to read about HAL or that greatest BS.

Thus you have alienated the other Lanterns fans and one of those fanbases tired of being lectured about being a GL fan. Because that same request for respect was never shown to Kyle, John, Jessica & Simon.
    LOL. If you compare the sales of HJGLC with Hal's former solo, the conclusion can be easily reached as what turns folks off HJGLC book is they don't want to read about the other three redundant lanterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "The other Lantern fans" were going to be alienated regardless if Hal was called the greatest or not. He wasn't called that way when Johns was writing him, it still alienated other fans because DC pushed other Lanterns to the side after his return. As long as Hal was the main guy, some fans were always going to hate it. That goes for any Lantern that's being pushed to the top at the expense of others. The "greatest Lantern" thing, while annoying, is on a purely superficial level. How many times was Kyle told that he would be greater than his predecessor ever was. It's not something DC started doing in recent years.
    Actually, he was called that way under the Guardians, but it was brief. His actions seemed to be louder than words though.

During the Johns' era, there was division, but not to the point where they'll refuse to read/support GL books, because x character is the lead over their guy.

There's more division now it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    LOL. If you compare the sales of HJGLC with Hal's former solo, the conclusion can be easily reached as what turns folks off HJGLC book is they don't want to read about the other three redundant lanterns.
    True, that's how I see it. If Hal Jordan's name is on the cover, DC gives me the impression that they view the other three as being redundant lanterns. That's why I refuse to support the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Actually, he was called that way under the Guardians, but it was brief. His actions seemed to be louder than words though.
    I only remember one scene where the Guardians called him that and his response was something like "You used to call Sinestro that way too, and look how both of us turned out". He clearly didn't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    While I do wish Hal would go back to flying solo, I don't mind stories of him teaming-up with other Lanterns. Robert Venditti is one of the few writers in recent memory that at least tried to treat the characters like equals.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-23-2018 at 05:14 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison himself was guilty of this too, what with having Dream of the Endless (who is kind of a big deal) shill Kyle to the audience by saying he'd surpass Hal because he understood fear and Hal didn't. I trust Morrison not to repeat that this time, but still. It's why I do not have too much sympathy for Kyle fans who didn't like him no longer having the lead spot when Hal came back. he got off light compared to Emerald Twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I don't even know if this is true or not but the idea of it gives me an erection.
    ...Same lol.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Would much rather put him on Shazam (the Marvel Family). I’m no Morrison fan, but his Thunderworld was fantastic. Exactly what I’d want for those characters moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think Shazam's on the same hands-off list that JSA and the Legion are on.
    One should note that Morrison said that Thunderworld contains "everything I wanted to say about those characters"...which, if really and still true, might explain why he's not doing more Capt Marvel/Shazam. Of course Grant doesn't always end up really thinking he's said all he wants to say, Batman proves that pretty well, but still.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-23-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Morrison himself was guilty of this too, what with having Dream of the Endless (who is kind of a big deal) shill Kyle to the audience by saying he'd surpass Hal because he understood fear and Hal didn't. I trust Morrison not to repeat that this time, but still. It's why I do not have too much sympathy for Kyle fans who didn't like him no longer having the lead spot when Hal came back.
    You really don't see a difference between a story about a successor to a legend rising higher than his predecessor and a character constantly being referred to as Duh Best Evah because they decided to make him the face of the franchise again?

he got off light compared to Emerald Twilight.
    Far as I'm aware, Hal's brilliant arc from Emerald Twilight through the Spectre is leagues beyond anything Kyle's gotten since Hal's return. (I haven't read ANY of the Nu52 GL books, but what I've heard was done with Kyle doesn't sound good at all.)

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    You really don't see a difference between a story about a successor to a legend rising higher than his predecessor and a character constantly being referred to as Duh Best Evah because they decided to make him the face of the franchise again?
    In order for the successor to rise above his predecessor, they had to throw the predecessor under the bus. And him being told he will surpass Hal isn't all the different from being told Hal is the best ever (not something that even happened all that much, as Johnny pointed out), especially when they get a Neil Gaiman creation to do it so you know they mean business.

Far as I'm aware, Hal's brilliant arc from Emerald Twilight through the Spectre is leagues beyond anything Kyle's gotten since Hal's return. (I haven't read ANY of the Nu52 GL books, but what I've heard was done with Kyle doesn't sound good at all.)
    Funny, most Hal fans don't believe that arc (certainly not the Emerald Twilight portions of it) is brilliant, and those that do usually have other GLs as their favorite and wouldn't be eager to see them swap places with him.

Even if Kyle fans don't like what's been done with him since, if you float the suggestion out there that something similar to the Parallax saga be done with him, you're not gonna get an enthusiastic response.

BANNED

In order for the successor to rise above his predecessor, they had to throw the predecessor under the bus. And him being told he will surpass Hal isn't all the different from being told Hal is the best ever (not something that even happened all that much, as Johnny pointed out), especially when they get a Neil Gaiman creation to do it so you know they mean business.
    I was mostly referring to the glut of solicits that refer to him that way.

Funny, most Hal fans don't believe that arc (certainly not the Emerald Twilight portions of it) is brilliant, and those that do usually have other GLs as their favorite and wouldn't be eager to see them swap places with him.
    I can't deny that most people who agree with me DO have a different Lantern as their favorite. However, I've encountered more than a few fans who DO have Hal as their favorite and still agree with me. One of them even considers Hal their favorite hero in general and, unlike me, wishes that Zero Hour had been "The End" for him.

Even if Kyle fans don't like what's been done with him since, if you float the suggestion out there that something similar to the Parallax saga be done with him, you're not gonna get an enthusiastic response.
    I hear this kind of thing on Batgirl threads too and what people who say these kind of things don't seem to get is that these characters aren't interchangeable. Much like Barbara Gordon is the only Batgirl who fits as Oracle, Hal is the only GL that would fit the Parallax storyline. Kyle and the rest of the human GLs have large flaws built into their characters that they have to work to overcome. Prior to Emerald Twilight, Hal, while not perfect, was still one of the top paragons of heroism and courage in the DCU. Rather than have him lose his ring or just do a poor imitation of Barry's send-off, they decided to tell a classic story about a man at the top of the world losing everything and becoming corrupted, ultimately finding redemption.

I was mostly referring to the glut of solicits that refer to him that way.
    That's not the same as being referenced that way in-story, and solicits are easy to ignore when you are reading the work itself. Unless they start being printed in the books.

I can't deny that most people who agree with me DO have a different Lantern as their favorite. However, I've encountered more than a few fans who DO have Hal as their favorite and still agree with me. One of them even considers Hal their favorite hero in general and, unlike me, wishes that Zero Hour had been "The End" for him.
    I'm sure there are some, there's bound to be, but I'd wager the majority of Hal fans don't look at Emerald Twilight with that much fondness. There are also some, like me, that came on board the franchise with Johns' run so weren't around to experience all of this, and don't look back on that era as anything other than a curiosity when DC editorial was doing something different than what they are doing now. Some view Hal as a relic from the Silver Age that outlived his usefulness and shouldn't have been brought back, others view the Parallax/Spectre setup and Kyle as the successor as relics from the 90s that we've moved past.

I hear this kind of thing on Batgirl threads too and what people who say these kind of things don't seem to get is that these characters aren't interchangeable. Much like Barbara Gordon is the only Batgirl who fits as Oracle, Hal is the only GL that would fit the Parallax storyline. Kyle and the rest of the human GLs have large flaws built into their characters that they have to work to overcome. Prior to Emerald Twilight, Hal while not perfect, was still one of the top paragons of heroism and courage in the DCU. Rather than have him lose his ring or just do a poor imitation of Barry's send-off, they decided to tell a classic story about a man at the top of the world losing everything and becoming corrupted, ultimately finding redemption.

Fans are conditioned to think he's the only one it could be done to because he's the only one it happened to. And it was done in a transparent way to rush out the old character they didn't have a use for so they could shill the new kid. The fact that some writers may have made some lemonade out of the Emerald Twilight lemons with the Spectre stuff doesn't change the fact that the Parallax story was rushed in, what, like 3 issues to make room for Kyle? Prior to that, most fans wound't have imagined Hal would be used in a storyline like that, but we got what we got. And if they decided something similar (not the exact same story, but similar) could be done with Kyle or another Lantern, they'd do it. And you'd have fans who would go apeshit of their favorite going through that, and other groups who say it's interesting and see the new direction as making sense.

I mean, the entire franchise as we knew it was destroyed to make room for Kyle. When Hal came back, he was merely put in the same spot that he was in prior to ET. Not only the other Lanterns weren't killed off or changed beyond all recognition to accommodate his return, but we even got two more. Well how about that, you wouldn't have Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz around had Geoff Johns never brought Hal back and took over the franchise.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-23-2018 at 12:14 PM.

I mean, the entire franchise as we knew it was destroyed to make room for Kyle. When Hal came back, he was merely put in the same spot that he was in prior to ET. Not only the other Lanterns weren't killed off or changed beyond all recognition to accommodate his return, but we even got two more. Well how about that, you wouldn't have Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz around had Geoff Johns never brought Hal back and took over the franchise.
    Not just Simon and Jessica, but a lot of other stuff got added to the mythos that, at least for a time, was incredibly successful as well.

What, from the Kyle era, has managed to become memorable and stick around?