Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Fantastic Member BaneBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I would prefer that they not be GLs. Six Earth Lanterns is just absurd. I don't think they can sell a comic, but if they can, then that's fine.
    What do you think the monthly numbers should be? 60K? 70K? 100K? You say "sell" a lot but never give any indication as to what you actually mean
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

    Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

    Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

    Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

  2. #17
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Is it an objective fact that they can sell a comic? Maybe it is and I missed something.

    There are no certain predictions as to what will sell. But you can look at what has sold and has not sold, and you can then make some pretty good predictions.

    I can tell you that Batman will probably sell his solo title, and that Blue Beetle will probably not sell a solo title. Those are not certainties, but they're pretty safe bets.

    It's about tendencies and histories, not "objective facts."
    Is it an objective fact that, if given a new solo book, it would sell well? Not at all and we wouldn't have an answer until such a time occurred.

    But that's not what you said. You said you don't think that they "can" sell a comic when that's what they've been doing for the past two years. GLs will be one of only about a dozen or so Rebirth titles to hit 50 issues, currently at #45 it's still well above the danger zone and above plenty of other titles, including Green Arrow and Aquaman, and even if their book ends in August with #53 as part of a shake-up to the GL books, they'll still be tied with Steel in second place for the longest POC lead solo book at DC.
    Last edited by Assam; 04-20-2018 at 02:21 PM.

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaneBreaker View Post
    What do you think the monthly numbers should be? 60K? 70K? 100K? You say "sell" a lot but never give any indication as to what you actually mean
    To keep it in print, that's all. In the icv2 listings, DC's usual cancellation level is about 17K. However, they kept printing Blue Beetle until it had dropped all the way to 8K! Green Lanterns is currently listed at 24K, but I suspect that's inflated by about 5K by DC's offering the comics shops free returns on unsold copies. They also pushed Baz and Cruz by putting them in Justice League. As with Blue Beetle, DC REALLY wants Green Lanterns to succeed.

  4. #19
    Fantastic Member BaneBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Okay, so earlier you said they couldn't sell, now, sell means "keep in print", Green Lanterns is still in print, ergo, its selling. So who is artificially inflating the numbers? Diamond? That's where the order numbers come from each month when this stuff gets discussed
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

    Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

    Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

    Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    At the start of the DC You period we got a brand new GLC series called Lost Army. It was written by Cullen Bunn and dealt with the entire Green Lantern Corps somehow being relocated back into Relic's universe. Two Lanterns escaped that fate. Hal Jordan, who was operating as a 'renegade' at the time and using Krona's Gauntlet, and Soranik Natu, who had her ring removed forcibly by Sinestro just before it disappeared too. Quite how Sinestro knew how to spare Soranik from the same fate was never explained. Sinestro seemed to be as in the dark as to the reasons for the Corps' disappearance as everyone else. He did, however, take advantage of this by using Natu as a front to replace the Green Lanterns as protectors with his own Sinestro Corps.

    Anyway, Lost Army ended up only running for six issues, a fact that plainly took Bunn rather by surprise as he'd obviously been trying to establish a much longer saga than the one we got. The series saw the Corps unite with both a younger Relic, trying to halt the light-based entropy that was threatening the end of his reality, and Krona also. Why Krona was there, and what his ultimate role in the story was destined to be, was never explained. After six months the series was cancelled and replaced with another run called Edge Of Oblivion written by Tom Taylor. Taylor had previously inherited the Earth-2 series and immediately abandoned plotlines in that title that he didn't like or fancy. This was quite jarring for readers at the time.

    On Edge Of Oblivion, Taylor did the same trick. The series ostensibly picked up the story months later, with the Corps still stuck in this doomed universe, but headed into a completely different plot and antagonists. Both Relic and Krona were gone completely and not even mentioned. It wasn't a bad read but left so many unanswered questions. What happened in the months between Lost Army and Edge Of Oblivion is something that I'd immediately clear up.
    Yep pretty much.

    Ethan Van Sciver did say readers should look at Edge of Oblivion as a complete separate story that's not connected to Lost Army. Not having any connections to Lost Army (other than being in a universe that's not theirs) was intended.

    Editorials really screwed up on this one.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 04-20-2018 at 02:22 PM.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yep pretty much.

    Ethan Van Sciver did say readers should look at Edge of Oblivion as a complete separate story that's not connected to Lost Army. Not having any connections to Lost Army (other than being in a universe that's not theirs) was intended.

    Editorials really screwed up on this one.
    Yeah, I remember reading those comments from EVS. That's the way that I approached Edge Of Oblivion when it debuted.

    Although Lost Army was hardly a sales smash there were definitely titles out there that performed a lot worse. The stellar Omega Men series was allowed to last the full 12 months, which I'm eternally grateful for. I still maintain that the GL franchise would have benefitted from Lost Army being given the same leeway. Maybe something happened with Bunn behind the scenes. Who knows?

  7. #22
    Fantastic Member BaneBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Maybe the reason I didn't like Lost Army because I was under the impression it was a brief series, 6 or so, and the story just felt like it was going nowhere. It read like a long series story not a short one. It wasn't until after the fact, I learned it was supposed to be longer but got cut
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

    Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

    Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

    Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

  8. #23
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaneBreaker View Post
    Okay, so earlier you said they couldn't sell, now, sell means "keep in print", Green Lanterns is still in print, ergo, its selling. So who is artificially inflating the numbers? Diamond? That's where the order numbers come from each month when this stuff gets discussed
    The Diamond numbers are not for actual sales but of the orders that the comics shops place. If a shop knows it can return unsold copies of a title for free, it'll probably order more of them than it otherwise would. DC did this with The New Guardians. I don't know why they were so hot to sell that one.

    I say leave Baz and Cruz alone and see what happens. I think I know, but maybe I'll get a surprise.

  9. #24
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I would have one main book with Hal, Guy and Kyle as the main characters. They would be Honor Guard Lanterns that don't patrol a space sector. instead, they go out on important missions and deal with the biggest threats. I would also re-introduce the Blue Lanterns as a small group of 3 that join the Honor Guard. I would use space-fairing Green Lantern villains, the other Corps in the Emotional Spectrum and other space-faring villains like Brainiac and Cyborg Superman. I would also not make the characters go to Earth (a series about space police officers spending most of their time on Earth is dumb in my opinion).
    What about Jessica, Simon and John

  10. #25
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    What about Jessica, Simon and John
    I went into this assuming I would have control over the Green Lantern Franchise and the rest of the DCU would go on without my influence. And if that was the case, John would be on Earth with the Justice League and Jessica would be in space somewhere with the roster of the Justice League Odyssey book. I would have added Simon, but I don't think he is experienced enough yet to be an honour guard Lantern, he would probably be the Lantern of the space sector where the earth is.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  11. #26
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaneBreaker View Post
    Okay, so earlier you said they couldn't sell, now, sell means "keep in print", Green Lanterns is still in print, ergo, its selling. So who is artificially inflating the numbers? Diamond? That's where the order numbers come from each month when this stuff gets discussed
    Stores who have no issue ordering x number of copies even if that number doesn't sell out. Because they HOPE the back issues would sell at higher prices later on.

    Which makes the backlash to Marvel a JOKE because the store chose to over order books instead of ordering enough to sell out at the cover price versus a higher one later on. Which does not work because EBAY, trades and used book store shave no trouble selling back issues at lower prices.

    So let say your store ordered 15 copies of Green Lantern and 10 of Doom Patrol. Doom Patrol sells out and Lantern leaves 10 copies. Who did their job? Doom Patrol.

    Diamond does not care about that. They want to get rid of books and that is why you see second and third printings of books. They sell out and those other printings are made. HOWEVER you can still go to many stores and get the first printing. Unless it's a Supergirl Artem variant.

    So that 24k is questionable because it does not say how many copies did someone BUY.

    Then you get into trade sales. Which vary and the only source that can give you sort of an idea is Amazon but that changes everyday.

    So if I was to judge both Lantern book by Amazon-it's a WASH as both tend to out do each other at times.

    Now if I was to compare them to other books. The New Age books whose trades will not be out until October have higher interest than both Lantern books-especially Terrifics. However both beat Cyborg.

    The number says there is room for both. What Trey is saying what can be done to make them higher despite his hate for Jessica & Simon.

    The reality is there isn't much you can do. You already lost John fans why add Jessica & Simon to that pile.

    A lot of folks do NOT want to read about Hal Jordan. You have to figure out how to get those who don't want to read about him to invest in the franchise with the others.

    That is where this Hal is alpha, omega and supreme lantern mess STOPS. As long as that lingers-you won't get fans. When DC treats Lantern like a group franchise like GOTG at Marvel-you will see improvement.

    YOu got 6 Earth lanterns-you got enough material for a bigger franchise and NO you do not need monthly books for all. Rotate the leads in that GLC book and let Hal have his own journey in his own book. A mini or one shot or 12 part mini with the rest will not hurt.

  12. #27
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    I would take a page from Warren Ellis' Moon Knight and have one standalone arc for each issue. Every issue would be a new adventure. John would be the main lantern and he would be a bit of a nomad/wanderer. Going from planet to planet helping out in anyway he could.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I canít relate.

    DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

    Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

    Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

  13. #28
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Maybe do a little trimming of the Green Lantern line. Move John and Jessica off to the League teams and have Simon be forced out of the Lantern role for a life or death decision (as cops go through these days) and Hal, emotionally troubled due to vouching for Baz attempts to retire. Leaving Guy and Kyle as a buddy cop procedural title. Of course, something will come up where Guy and Kyle need Hal's assistance and he's pulled out of retirement as an advisor of sorts.

    The villains will be space versions of common crook types with maybe the Darkstars acting as a rival precinct and occasional trips to Earth. Wait a year if possible to bring in the other colored Corps.

  14. #29
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Also I'm in favour of YouTuber Englentine's idea that apart from the inhabitants of New Genesis the Green Lantern Corp should be a chief enemy of Darkseid. Why doesn't Darkseid invade every single plannet everyday of the week or try to conquer Earth. The Green Lantern Corp.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Also I'm in favour of YouTuber Englentine's idea that apart from the inhabitants of New Genesis the Green Lantern Corp should be a chief enemy of Darkseid. Why doesn't Darkseid invade every single plannet everyday of the week or try to conquer Earth. The Green Lantern Corp.
    Isn't Darkseid a Superman villain? Rogue's gallery transplants rarely happen, even if it would be logical.

    A GL mystery detective series would be how I'd want to do it. Since Baz and Cruz are my favorites, I'd want to use them, but I think the mystery premise would work with just about any GL character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •