Default [REQ] Our Worlds at War

I missed this when it came out but it's constantly being recommended to me via comixology based on my reading habits there. Is it worthwhile? Can anyone share their thoughts on it to help me know if I should give it a chance?

While we're at it, I'd also love to know if people here recommend War of the Gods by George Perez.

Spending a lot of time lately catching up on DC stories I missed and typically I know which ones were well received. I guess this a thread for those about which I don't know the conventional wisdom.

So far I'm looking for takes on Our Worlds at War, War of the Gods, and as mentioned in other thread I just started Earth 2, any/all of it.

Any help most appreciated.

Big Wonder Woman fan here.

I collected all of WotG when it came out. It was huge and wild but ultimately left a sour taste in my mouth because it didn't DO anything. I tried mapping it out in a revision history and it plays out exactly like a video game script.

OWAW was interesting, but I only caught a few issues. It was big and wild and had significant buildup and followthrough, but as I recall, not many enjoyed it at all. My favorite issue of Wonder Woman ever is actually the second OWAW crossover issue.

BANNED

The thing I remember about it was that Guy Gardner got a ONE-PANEL DEATH! It was probably the only time in comics history that's ever happened.

I've forgotten the rest of it.

Extraordinary Member

I read WotG when it came out but remember very little about it. I do remember Lilith appearing in it momentarily, and it was one of the few times we had seen her since her origin got wiped out in COIE.

OWAW is another where I read some of it but hardly remember anything about it. I was extremely sad that Hippolyta died during it. I was hoping she was going to return to JSA and never dreamed she would die because she was supposed to be immortal. Sorry if that was a spoiler but I doubt any of OWAW is still in the current timeline.

I was disappointed with both of them, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The thing I remember about it was that Guy Gardner got a ONE-PANEL DEATH! It was probably the only time in comics history that's ever happened.

I've forgotten the rest of it.
    If Martian Manhunter got more than one panel when he 'died,' it wasn't by much. I was blown away by how cavalier his death was though his funeral made up for it some.

Thanks to all for your opinions. Keep them coming please, esp. on Worlds at War since I still don't have a sense of whether or not I should give it a chance. I think War of the Gods is probably not for me. And the post from @CRaymond confirmed my fears about it especially being they're apparently a big WW fan as am I.

Still eager for opinions on Our Worlds at War or any other under-the-radar DC story that someone here might love but that is relatively under appreciated or has something to recommend it though it's not a well known story.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I read WotG when it came out but remember very little about it. I do remember Lilith appearing in it momentarily, and it was one of the few times we had seen her since her origin got wiped out in COIE.

OWAW is another where I read some of it but hardly remember anything about it. I was extremely sad that Hippolyta died during it. I was hoping she was going to return to JSA and never dreamed she would die because she was supposed to be immortal. Sorry if that was a spoiler but I doubt any of OWAW is still in the current timeline.

I was disappointed with both of them, I'm afraid.
    Thanks for the reply. This was what I feared might be the case. As in my latest post... Also interested in any other under-the-radar DC story that someone here might love but that is relatively under appreciated or has something to recommend it though it's not a well known story.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I don't want to sound like too much of a miserable git BatmanJones, but I can't really recommend Our Worlds At War either .

It was very long and just didn't do anything for me. You know when we get those 'Worst DC Events' type of threads? I usually nominate both OWAW and Amazons Attack!, which is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I don't want to sound like too much of a miserable git BatmanJones, but I can't really recommend Our Worlds At War either .

It was very long and just didn't do anything for me. You know when we get those 'Worst DC Events' type of threads? I usually nominate both OWAW and Amazons Attack!, which is even worse.
    No disclaimer necessary. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'm not looking for people to talk me into these books; I'm looking for genuine responses to them.

I suspected I would hear bad things about both Our Worlds at War and War of the Gods. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Now I can stop wondering if I should check them out when comixology constantly recommends them to me.

I feel like I've gotten what I was looking for in this thread so thanks to all that posted. We can close it down now unless anyone has underrated stories they'd like to suggest to me.

BANNED

The only real highlight of Our Worlds at War for me were the Young Justice tie-ins. Along with the events of those issues giving birth to my second favorite DC character, they were by far the darkest issues in the entire series. I love the usual tone of the book, but it was a welcome change of pace, especially since the quality remained consistent.