Default Why Superman Still Matters After 80 Years

This was a big week for Superman. I've seen any number of tributes and discussions surrounding his latest milestone with Action Comics #1000. After reading the issue, I admit it put a smile on my face and helped me appreciate Superman's legacy a lot more. It's hard to appreciate anything that endures after 80 years, but Superman is definitely an exception. Who he is, what he stands for, and the way he inspires others is without parallel. Even in an era where heroes have to be complex, compelling, or morally ambiguous, Superman still sets the bar. He establishes the line between right and wrong. He personifies the ideal of a superhero. He also personifies the ideal in terms of exercising immense power. There are so many stories, real and fictional, that talk about power corrupting. Superman stands in stark contrast, showing that it is possible to be powerful and uncorrupted. It's part of the ideal that he establishes and even after 80 years, it's still an inspiration.

In the spirit of that inspiration, I wrote a little tribute piece to Superman on my publishing blog. I hadn't planned to write anything about this momentous event, but true to Superman's nature, I felt inspired to do so after reading Action Comics 1000. If you're interested, here's a link.

Not many heroes have had the same impact as Superman. Chances are we'll never see another hero like him, one who can raise the bar and establish an ideal that lasts for 80 years. That's what makes Superman all the more endearing in this day and age. There are so many characters, real and fictional, who look at the world in a cynical, jaded light. Superman inspires others to hope for better and I hope he keeps doing so for another 80 years.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This was a big week for Superman. I've seen any number of tributes and discussions surrounding his latest milestone with Action Comics #1000. After reading the issue, I admit it put a smile on my face and helped me appreciate Superman's legacy a lot more. It's hard to appreciate anything that endures after 80 years, but Superman is definitely an exception. Who he is, what he stands for, and the way he inspires others is without parallel. Even in an era where heroes have to be complex, compelling, or morally ambiguous, Superman still sets the bar. He establishes the line between right and wrong. He personifies the ideal of a superhero. He also personifies the ideal in terms of exercising immense power. There are so many stories, real and fictional, that talk about power corrupting. Superman stands in stark contrast, showing that it is possible to be powerful and uncorrupted. It's part of the ideal that he establishes and even after 80 years, it's still an inspiration.

In the spirit of that inspiration, I wrote a little tribute piece to Superman on my publishing blog. I hadn't planned to write anything about this momentous event, but true to Superman's nature, I felt inspired to do so after reading Action Comics 1000. If you're interested, here's a link.

Not many heroes have had the same impact as Superman. Chances are we'll never see another hero like him, one who can raise the bar and establish an ideal that lasts for 80 years. That's what makes Superman all the more endearing in this day and age. There are so many characters, real and fictional, who look at the world in a cynical, jaded light. Superman inspires others to hope for better and I hope he keeps doing so for another 80 years.

Very nicely put.

And your linked tribute is an excellent ode to the lasting appeal of Superman.

My hat's off to you

P.S. 2118, huh? Well, I can't even imagine what Superman will be like in another 20 years for his 100th (probably more similar than I expect with one or two major changes) , let alone another 100 years from now.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 04-21-2018 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post

Nice. I loved it! Excellent tribute.

That aspect of doing the right thing just because its the right thing is really attractive about Superman. Glad that you mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Very nicely put.

And your linked tribute is an excellent ode to the lasting appeal of Superman.

My hat's off to you

P.S. 2118, huh? Well, I can't even imagine what Superman will be like in another 20 years for his 100th (probably more similar than I expect with one or two major changes) , let alone another 100 years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Nice. I loved it! Excellent tribute.

That aspect of doing the right thing just because its the right thing is really attractive about Superman. Glad that you mentioned that.
    Thanks a lot for the kind words. I appreciate it.

There are a lot of reasons why Superman continues to endure after 80 years, but I think his capacity to inspire may be the greatest. So long as he keeps doing that, there will always be a place for him in our hearts.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Because whether a person wants to admit it or, not everyone would like to be Superman!