Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

One hope I have is that it isn't all tied into an event, and future story arcs will be new reader friendly. Also, that at some point it leads to a Lois Lane: Year One.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Hopes?
    That Rucka ignores the "modern family" BS that Bendis shoved into the series.

Fears?
    That Rucka won't be able to ignore it, and will be forced to make it so.
    I'm afraid that's exactly what Rucka will have to work with...it wouldn't have been set up in the first place if they weren't going to do much with it. It means Clark (and/or Jon) doesn't necessarily have to make appearances consistently, but I don't think Rucka is going to ignore how much Lois loves him or Jon and their relationship will still inform a large part of who she is. If anything, I see the title as being what I expected Catwoman to have been had the bat-wedding gone off without a hitch...a leading female character who is juggling her new kind of lifestyle with her marital responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    No, That's wrong. For comic books, that honor can be given to Sir Alfred Pennyworth or J Jonah Jameson.
    False on both counts.

Lois has YODO status (been actively involved since Year One Day One), Alfred doesn't and neither does J.Jonah Jameson if he didn't appear in AMAZING FANTASY #15 (I can't recall seeing him in that story).

Jim Gordon has the MUCH stronger claim for best supporting character in the Batverse.

Mary Jane Watson easily supplants JJJ in the Spiderverse.

But none of the people mentioned top Lois Lane to the Superverse in terms of sheer importance.

Her only true comp in fiction would be Dr. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes franchise, and even then she has him beat in terms of sheer volume of stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    False on both counts.

Lois has YODO status (been actively involved since Year One Day One), Alfred doesn't and neither does J.Jonah Jameson if he didn't appear in AMAZING FANTASY #15 (I can't recall seeing him in that story).

Jim Gordon has the MUCH stronger claim for best supporting character in the Batverse.

Mary Jane Watson easily supplants JJJ in the Spiderverse.

But none of the people mentioned top Lois Lane to the Superverse in terms of sheer importance.

Her only true comp in fiction would be Dr. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes franchise, and even then she has him beat in terms of sheer volume of stories.
    Correct.

Spider-Man will still be without JJJ. And great as Alfred is, he just doesn't generate stories for Bruce quite like Lois Lane does in Superman. The two will never reach the levels of importance that is applies to LL. I think some mistake likability for relevance. Because Lois has some detractors in the fandom does not take away her importance as the female lead of the Superman books.

I'm not huge on Batman lore, but isn't Alfred's importance as a father figure, and like Batman's second in command a pretty recent development spinning out of his portrayal in Batman Begins? Prior to that wasn't he more of just "the Butler"? Could be wrong there.

But yeah, JJJ isn't in Alfred, Gordon, or Lois' league with respect to importance. He's a great addition to the Spider-Man mythos and all. But not on the same level as those three.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm afraid that's exactly what Rucka will have to work with...it wouldn't have been set up in the first place if they weren't going to do much with it.
    I think there's actually a very good chance that Bendis and Rucka worked out this direction for Lois together from the very start.

I recall at least two interviews where Bendis talks about how Rucka was the one who sat at his bedside and spoke to him about Superman, and a how it was Rucka who Bendis would talk about real life reporters who needed to be more like Lois Lane. I'm also just about sure that the book that Lois is writing will be handed in her solo. I think that's something Bendis set up for Rucka to flesh out.

Don't really know how he'll handle appearances by Clark or Jon (they may be off in space at the time?), but I'm not really worried about Rucka not casting the relationship or family in a good light given how passionate he is about Superman (the franchise) needing it to work optimally.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm not really worried about Rucka not casting the relationship or family in a good light given how passionate he is about Superman (the franchise) needing it to work optimally.
    Yeah, I made note of something similar at the end of the post you quoted, that Lois will be the book with a happily married protagonist and we don't have to deal with that kind of drama....lets us get on with other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'm not huge on Batman lore, but isn't Alfred's importance as a father figure, and like Batman's second in command a pretty recent development spinning out of his portrayal in Batman Begins? Prior to that wasn't he more of just "the Butler"? Could be wrong there.

But yeah, JJJ isn't in Alfred, Gordon, or Lois' league with respect to importance. He's a great addition to the Spider-Man mythos and all. But not on the same level as those three.
    Can't speak for the second in command bit, but the father figure thing for Alfred has been going on since at least the Burton movies and Batman: The Animated Series.

Ok, it's now April.

Maybe I missed it, and if so, can someone please point out where the solicits or previews are for LOIS LANE #1?

It's still debuting this June, right?

Is there anything to tease us yet?

It apparently isn’t coming out in June. But they officially announced it and the Jimmy Olsen book at Wonder Con last weekend by Didio and Lee and both Rucka and Bendis have been talking about the storyline. First couple of issues are apparently done as well. Guess we’ll have to see what happens with the July solicits.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm really, really excited about this - I've missed Rucka since he left Wonder Woman in 2017, so this is long overdue.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I figured since it didn't show up last month. Solicits should be Tues or weds next week.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

LOIS LANE #1 (of 12)

A) Cool cover!

B) So, it's a maxiseries instead of a true ongoing series.

I'll take it!

A 12-issue maxiseries is infinitely better than a one-shot, and maintaining a true ongoing series these days is really tough if you aren't already a household name with recent previous success.

Can't wait for July!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 04-13-2019 at 06:37 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    LOIS LANE #1 (of 12)

A) Cool cover!

B) So, it's a maxiseries instead of a true ongoing series.

I'll take it!

A 12-issue maxiseries is infinitely better than a one-shot, and maintaining a true ongoing series these days is really tough if you aren't already a household name with recent previous success.

Can't wait for July!
    Agreed! The cover is dark and beautiful and dramatic! I also think that the maxiseries is a really good idea. Because 12 issues is a nice, long form story, but also enough to develop to an actual ending. Without the fear of being cancelled, I hope that the book will be satisfying, and have a chance to be renewed for a second season, instead of fearing cancellation every issue.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

It's basically a glass half full analogy. We get a limited series without the fear of cancellation, with the possibility of a renewal should it prove successful.