Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default LOIS LANE ongoing solo title? - news, rumors, hopes, fears, and ideas

An American, nay, GLOBAL Icon is turning 80 this year.

Someone who broke ground with their debut back in 1938's ACTION COMICS #1 vol 1. Someone who has been reinvented several times over the last 8 decades, with plenty of highs and plenty of lows along the way. Someone who is an inspiration to many, and has an army of loyal fans.

OK, that set-up was more than a bit obvious: I'm talking about Lois Lane, the Greatest Supporting Character in Fiction*.

And given that she has been in the Superverse since Day One, Year One, it is high time she got her own solo ongoing title ... again.

Yes, again.

Say what you will about the old SUPERMAN'S GIRLFRIEND LOIS LANE title and the indignities foisted upon Lois time and again there, but at least she was the focal point of an ongoing series at a time when there were very few major comic books with a woman as its lead.

She's had a forgotten miniseries in the 1980s:

And an attempt at a one-shot in the New 52:

Despite that often-rocky track record, I so think the time is right for a new solo Lois Lane title.

With SUPERWOMAN and SUPERGIRL both ending, there is a female-shaped void in the Superverse corner of the DCU. A void that a new LOIS LANE title could nicely fill (though I firmly expect SUPERGIRL will get yet another title of her own, what with the TV show and all).

Lois offers potentially something new.

Like Catwoman, she is attached to a much larger (in pop culture) male super-hero and while not a super-hero herself, has her own career.

Unlike her new bestie Selina Kyle (See BATMAN's "Super Friends" for the hilarious double-date two-parter), Lois Lane doesn't wear a costume nor have a secret identity nor break the law as a job requirement ... but she is also a mother to an aspiring super-hero in Jon Kent. She is the world's greatest reporter*, with journalistic skills and accomplishments and recognition that dwarfs Clark's own in the same field. There's a lot you could do with a Lois Lane title in the right hands.

I would read (and buy) a solo LOIS LANE ongoing title with almost no questions asked.

All that said ...

Has anyone actually heard or read anything that something like this might happen anytime soon?

My best guess is that before 2018 ends on New Year's Eve, we will see a solo Lois-related something released to celebrate HER 80th anniversary.

A solo ongoing? Maybe. A solo miniseries? Maybe. A solo one-shot or graphic novel? Maybe.

All three? Probably not, but nice to think about.

Who do you want writing and drawing such a title? What would be your preferred angle?

Presume that it will be under the Superverse Editorial Offices, but other than that, any favorite writer/penciller/inker/cover artist team you want for a LOIS LANE ongoing series?

I'm not sure who or what I'd want yet.

* - IMHO

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Last I think we left off with first-hand accounts was,

Nrama: Does either Joker's Daughter or Lois Lane tie into anything else that's going on in the DCU? Or are they leading into something in an ongoing series?

Bennett: They are standalone books, to the extent of my knowledge. With Lois, however, if there is fan enthusiasm for the concept, and if the sales turnout is strong, Dan DiDio has told fans that a Lois series would be there for them. It’s entirely within the hands of the readers, though. For my part, I hope they love her as much as I do, because I would be overjoyed for fans to see what she can do.
    That was from the New 52 one shot, which I did like better than the 90s one shot even if it isn't the "real" Lois according to the current line.

Sounds like Bendis is well prepared to use her extensively so I hope there is something provided for which he can receive positive feedback.

A solo Lois Lane series won't sell nearly well enough in today's market. Sure Lois can work as a regular supporting character in a Superman comic and get extremely popular as a result.But most fans won't turn up to buy a Lois solo series. I'm not talking about fans on here, I'm talking about most fans in general. Most fans would rather have a Conner Kent/Young Justice series or a Shazam/Captain Marvel than for Lois Lane to have a solo comic. The comic book industry is a business first at the end of the day so at best, Lois gets a one shot or a mini series. A solo is nigh impossible in an industry where a fan favourite Superman run sells at 40K consistently.

Joker daughter... Mention this character always reminds me how horrible was Red Hood&Arsenal..

Superman characters are now in Bendis hands. Unfortunatelly, even Supergirl was suspended.

But maybe one Lois mini can be possible.

Maybe DC INK can do something with Lois in the future.
    Last edited by adrikito; 04-21-2018 at 09:24 AM.

I will get that book. One of my persistent demands is a Lois Lane title. But i think an ongoing looks unlikely. I keep hoping.

so what could a Lois Lane book be about now? she's not single anymore. she's a married mom. Would this be tales from the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    A solo Lois Lane series won't sell nearly well enough in today's market. Sure Lois can work as a regular supporting character in a Superman comic and get extremely popular as a result.But most fans won't turn up to buy a Lois solo series. I'm not talking about fans on here, I'm talking about most fans in general. Most fans would rather have a Conner Kent/Young Justice series or a Shazam/Captain Marvel than for Lois Lane to have a solo comic. The comic book industry is a business first at the end of the day so at best, Lois gets a one shot or a mini series. A solo is nigh impossible in an industry where a fan favourite Superman run sells at 40K consistently.
    I tend to agree. Any book headed by a non-full time superhero, or a superhero at all, in this enivronment simply won't last long.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I can't say about other people, but a Lois Lane ongoing I would be interested is investigative reporting in the veins of Tintin. Just with superheroes, supervillains, the supernatural, and with Jimmy Olsen as a co-star. The variety of guest stars can spice up the series. They should be able to do this even after marriage since Jon will be at school half the time and hanging out with Damian on the other.

I think that the premise for the upcoming Metropolis series would by ideal for a Lois ongoing. Investigating the paranormal, only I would substitute Jimmy for Luthor. If you wanted more of a crime-angle then Bendis, Brubaker or Rucka would probably be the best ones for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I’m afraid you’re right.
    It’ll be canned within a year.

BANNED

OK, that set-up was more than a bit obvious: I'm talking about Lois Lane, the Greatest Supporting Character in Fiction*.
    No, That's wrong. For comic books, that honor can be given to Sir Alfred Pennyworth or J Jonah Jameson.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    No, That's wrong. For comic books, that honor can be given to Sir Alfred Pennyworth or J Jonah Jameson.
    It’s a subjective opinion mate. Lois has been around longer than either of those two.

BANNED

Too bad my idea of a Lois and Jon book won't bear fruit...though I expect the members of the Super family to inevitably make apperances. Hopefully this ongoing gives me a little more of what I wanted from the Catwoman solo but was denied in favour of the same old ****. Let's see how Lois juggles solo adventures with her modern marriage and be able to keep the title interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Lois and Mary Jane.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-23-2019 at 01:44 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Actually, Alfred is in the running for the greatest supporting character in comic books. He is pretty much universally liked. Lois even though great has some detractor who don't care for her.

I saw this before but I never talked about that.. Congratulations for the serie Lois.