Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    CLZ is a database app for comi sorting/collecting. One of the more useful and helpful ones. I've used it for years to keep track of my collection.

I got both, but if I had to choose I'd go with the variant. That variant is gorgeous. Yasmin Putri has the variant for #2, but they haven't shown it yet. I've loved her recent covers for the Bat titles.

So far the buzz I've seen on the first issue is great. Saw a post on Twitter saying it was the best first issue of the year. And Rucka just tapes an interview with Word Ballon that's supposed to drop in next week and Sunitres teased a bunch of Lois talk. So definitely going to give that a listen.
    I just finished listening to the WB podcast Rucka did right at the start of his Rebirth run. Wonder if he’ll talk about his WW Rebirth run at all? There’s a ton of behind the scenes stuff I’m curious about. Looking forward to hearing more about his upcoming Lois work for sure.

Incredible Member

CLZ is a database app for comi sorting/collecting. One of the more useful and helpful ones. I've used it for years to keep track of my collection.

I got both, but if I had to choose I'd go with the variant. That variant is gorgeous. Yasmin Putri has the variant for #2, but they haven't shown it yet. I've loved her recent covers for the Bat titles.

So far the buzz I've seen on the first issue is great. Saw a post on Twitter saying it was the best first issue of the year. And Rucka just tapes an interview with Word Ballon that's supposed to drop in next week and Sunitres teased a bunch of Lois talk. So definitely going to give that a listen.

i don't want to get my expectation too high but this is Rucka's wring for Lois. match made in comic heaven. i know it's going to be badazzzz.
    Lois and Clark, Clark and Lois..no matter what, when or where it's always you two. Even in fractured quantum space-time you manage to find each other..but if those tinkering busybodies couldn't keep you apart, why should I waste my time?- Mr Mxyzptlk, Superman #19

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I just finished listening to the WB podcast Rucka did right at the start of his Rebirth run. Wonder if he’ll talk about his WW Rebirth run at all? There’s a ton of behind the scenes stuff I’m curious about. Looking forward to hearing more about his upcoming Lois work for sure.
    Their talks are pretty expansive, so I wouldn't be surprised if its touched on. The tweet Siuntres posted to promote it tagged Lois Lane, Lazarus, and Stumptown, but those two are old buddies and like the talks with Bendis tends to hit on tons of topics.

I got both, but if I had to choose I'd go with the variant. That variant is gorgeous.

What's this now? How'd you already get both? Isn't LOIS LANE #1 still being released the week of July 3rd???

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    What's this now? How'd you already get both? Isn't LOIS LANE #1 still being released the week of July 3rd???
    Pre-ordered both I should say. I don't have early access, though there are apparently prerelease copies being given to people.

So, LOIS LANE #1 will be "fully returnable".

Is this mostly a good thing, mostly a bad thing, or evenly both?

Why go this particular route?

I don't know why it'd be considered a bad thing. It's very good for retailers. Essentially shows DC wants them to order as many copies as possible. In the present market it allows retailers to actually try new books. Shows DC has some.faith in it and thinks it's going to be good and sell, but they want to take some of the perceived risk from the retailers. I haven't seen good faith arguments that it's a bad thing from anyone.

Most retailers want full returnable on every book.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think DC's nervous about new series right now given some of the backlash to some of their latest stuff. Batman Damned, for instance. They're getting raked over the coals for HIC. Superman: Year One is getting polite reviews at best. But it's Rucka and the art looks fantastic so I don't think they have anything to worry about here.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think DC's nervous about new series right now given some of the backlash to some of their latest stuff. Batman Damned, for instance. They're getting raked over the coals for HIC. Superman: Year One is getting polite reviews at best. But it's Rucka and the art looks fantastic so I don't think they have anything to worry about here.
    Yeah, I think part of it is that it's not a straight superhero cape book. It sounds like it's going to be more of almost a political thriller with the potential for some controversy given the political nature of the book. That can translate into a lot of demand. You know there are certain outlets that are going to run that angle like crazy, possibly even major mainstream media ones. So they want to prepare retailers to stock for that potential. Retailers hate when books get hot like that but they can't sell them. Similarly, they likely wouldn't order a spin off book with a non-cape character heavily, this allows them to do so and do it risk free.

Yeah, I think part of it is that it's not a straight superhero cape book. It sounds like it's going to be more of almost a political thriller with the potential for some controversy given the political nature of the book. That can translate into a lot of demand. You know there are certain outlets that are going to run that angle like crazy, possibly even major mainstream media ones. So they want to prepare retailers to stock for that potential. Retailers hate when books get hot like that but they can't sell them. Similarly, they likely wouldn't order a spin off book with a non-cape character heavily, this allows them to do so and do it risk free.

Now this makes a lot of sense.

On the down side, that means there is a lack of confidence from DC that this LOIS LANE title will be profitable just on its own. On the up side, that also means that DC very much wants this LOIS LANE title to succeed, which really outweighs any of the down side.

So, does this practice become the industry norm soon or is it simply not needed for the top sellers?

Now this makes a lot of sense.

On the down side, that means there is a lack of confidence from DC that this LOIS LANE title will be profitable just on its own. On the up side, that also means that DC very much wants this LOIS LANE title to succeed, which really outweighs any of the down side.

So, does this practice become the industry norm soon or is it simply not needed for the top sellers?
    I don't think it's indicative of a lack of confidence so much as a realistic outlook on the market. It does say they think it's a book that retailers should order a lot of I think. I see it as confidence in the quality of the book and it's potential if anything. They want retailers to order it and DC is saying they are willing to take on some of the risk by making it returnable.

I know a lot of retailers would love for every book to be 100% returnable. Itd make them more.willing to give books outside of events and huge cape books a chance to sell.

I don't think it's indicative of a lack of confidence so much as a realistic outlook on the market. It does say they think it's a book that retailers should order a lot of I think. I see it as confidence in the quality of the book and it's potential if anything. They want retailers to order it and DC is saying they are willing to take on some of the risk by making it returnable.

I know a lot of retailers would love for every book to be 100% returnable. Itd make them more.willing to give books outside of events and huge cape books a chance to sell.

So why wouldn't every comic book be fully returnable if there is no down side in general? Why isn't that the standard industry practice if it would benefit both the retailer and the publisher?

There HAS to be a practical down side to "fully returnable" comics. I would presume that any publisher would likely lose a lot of potential profit if all their comics were fully returnable.

But, in Lois Lane's particular case, as has been said, "fully returnable" is the safest of safe bets to help her title to succeed, and hopefully get a volume 2 sooner than later.

So why wouldn't every comic book be fully returnable if there is no down side in general? Why isn't that the standard industry practice if it would benefit both the retailer and the publisher?

There HAS to be a practical down side to "fully returnable" comics. I would presume that any publisher would likely lose a lot of potential profit if all their comics were fully returnable.

But, in Lois Lane's particular case, as has been said, "fully returnable" is the safest of safe bets to help her title to succeed, and hopefully get a volume 2 sooner than later.
    Oh, non-returnability definitely benefits publishers at the expense of retailers. It passes all the risk onto the retailer. Like I said, retailers would love full returnability on every book. Then they could order and sell what they could and not have any risk with buying 1000 copies of a book that bombs. I think there should be some sort of middle ground between the two. Offering it on titles that are a bit of an unknown quantity or outside the usual box is a good start.

Astonishing Member

Back in the old days before comic book stores existed (i.e., when I was a kid), comics were sold along with weekly and monthly magazines primarily at retail outlets such as grocery stores, drug stores, convenience stores, etc. All comics, as well as all magazines, were fully returnable. Of course, that was back in the day when the leading titles were selling hundreds of thousands of copies monthly, so naturally it wasn't much of a loss for the publishers to operate under that business model. Now, however...

Astonishing Member

Bendis has mentioned on Twitter that the Question, as some guessed, is going to be a part of this book. Which is excellent news for this Question fan, but sounds like good news for Lois, too - as Vic Sage is a character with almost no established history with Superman, making him part of Lois' world is quite a cool way to build her up separately.