Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I don't think mythology reflects what we think is the real world is. I think mythology hints at what the world really is. As a student of mythology, I think the lesson we learn through mythology has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with the nature of personhood. And I am convinced personhood is something shared by our political opponents.
    Superman was created by two Jews during a time when Jewish people were being systemically wiped out. Was that a political movement that respected shared Personhood? Lois was modeled after journalist Nellie Bly and physically modeled after a woman who was also the daughter of immigrants. Women had only recently only been granted the right to vote.

This mythology is political at its heart and always has been. It’s not a myth that’s ever been hidden from real life horrors. Why should it be now?
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 07-02-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Is there a non-preachy or non-dogmatic way to oppose fascism and crimes against humanity? (...) I firmly believe it's okay to be preachy about opposing fascism and crimes against humanity.
    I agree with you. When fascism is discovered we must take strong and swift action against it. In the past, we've even had to go to war to literally murder people we discovered were fascists. That's why I think accusations of fascism should not be taken lightly. We should take such an accusation with the deepest seriousness we can muster. One should be thoroughly educated on all of the facts. Especially a journalist, should be deeply, deeply familiar with the nuance of things before accusing a fellow person of the most evil acts imaginable. I would say that it is evil and cruel to accuse someone of a sin they may not have committed. We have to take each other's potential innocence seriously.

I see a lot of people in the American political landscape lobbing accusations at each other and as a citizen of a neighbouring country, it really worries me to see how loose some people are about this. It happens in the media as well. Accusations of fascism are not something to take lightly. Because discovering a fascist may literally mean we have to murder this person. This is what has happened in the past. We discovered fascists and we literally had to go kill them. This is not something to take lightly.

I would hope that Lois is portrayed as a hard facts kind of reporter instead of as a vindictive and perhaps a rash one blinded by angry passion. A a reader, I would want to be convinced Lois' perspective is correct by her making a strong argument instead of her cussing angrily at her computer screen. I want to see an intelligent, rational and incontrovertibly convincing Lois Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Superman was created by two Jews during a time when Jewish people were being systemically wiped out. Was that a political movement that respected shared Personhood? Lois was modeled after journalist Nellie Bly and physically modeled after a woman who was also the daughter of immigrants. Women had only recently only been granted the right to vote.

This mythology is political at its heart and always has been. It’s not a myth that’s ever been hidden from real life horrors. Why should it be now?

Show me where I said that myth should be segregated from real-life horrors. I'm happy to have you argue my perspective but first I need to see that you actually know what my perspective is. I've kind of been piled on in this thread (i'm not complaining) but I'm noticing no one is getting any closer to understanding my point of view. The opposite seems to be happening.

I would hope that Lois is portrayed as a hard facts kind of reporter instead of as a vindictive and perhaps a rash one blinded by angry passion. A a reader, I would want to be convinced Lois' perspective is correct by her making a strong argument instead of her cussing angrily at her computer screen. I want to see an intelligent, rational and incontrovertibly convincing Lois Lane.
    Lois Lane has never been this kind of person or journalist, at least when written by good writers. Rucka is a good writer. Your concerns seem like a straw man.

Your concerns seem like a straw man.
    You may be right. That's why I will be trying the book out. The preview I read is just 3 pages long and there's only so much one can know from a 3 page preview.

Really, my concern comes from the fact that I really really like The Question and the character means a whole lot to me personally. I would be really bummed out if he was portrayed in a manner that betrays all I love about him. I'm just a bit anxious I guess.

All-New Member

Lois is outspoken about her beliefs. Rucka is writing her true to character.

Can the overreacting stop when the comic isn't even out yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Parker View Post

I wouldn't characterize any part of this discussion as over-reacting. We're excited about comics and are discussing this one. I'm enjoying this. The title of the thread requested that I share my hopes and fears.

Thanks for sharing that image. Looks like Lois and I share some political inclinations.

Its not an overreaction, its just a discussion. The book may not be for some people. Don't see how voicing that and explaining it when queried as to why is at all exaggerating behavior. I'm certainly not looking for Lois to suddenly turn into a conservative overnight. She's a liberal. Always has been and always will be. And this is more than fine, that is her character absolutely. That she's not generally a liberal character isn't being challenged.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-02-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not an overreaction, its a discussion. Ulysses is being perfectly composed and detailing his thoughts fully without getting even the slighetest bit heated up. The book may not be for some people. Expressing that is not exaggerating or going crazy with rage.
    It is when people have been talking politics for five pages and the comic isn't even out.

No it isn't, there is a preview out to discuss. And while its been acknowledged that its only a preview, not the whole book, there is still content there to discuss nontheless, and it is indeed being discussed. Not seeing what's wrong with a discussion going on a while if the parties are civil.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

While I agree with your general point, the comic book you shared isn't the best example of Lois in character. In attitude, yes, because she's an opinionated and passionate person, but not in political ideology. That comic wrongly presents Lois as more of a conservative, which is unlikely given the vast majority of her characterization in most other comics.

While I agree with your general point, the comic book you shared isn't the best example of Lois in character. In attitude, yes, because she's an opinionated and passionate person, but not in political ideology. That comic wrongly presents Lois as more of a conservative, which is unlikely given the vast majority of her characterization in most other comics.
    This got me thinking which characters have explicitly stated their political inclinations...

Mighty Member

New preview (though we've seen the first two pages before):

https://www.cbr.com/lois-lane-1-preview/

This much more encouraging. Lois feels very Lois and the focus is on her work rather than the Jon and Jor-El stuff or weird marriage stuff.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I will never understand people that have problem with a book having a political themes, especially one tied to a journalist, when they are being attacked near-daily by some of the highest people in office. Is that even a political opinion anymore when "they" are literally shouting fake news to even non-biased reports? If Rucka remains focused on telling the story of a journalist trying to persist even with all the hate being thrown her way, that's a great take.
    I'd love to have more books with political themes handled in a way that isn't strawmanning. The problem, especially with comics, is that thematic depth can only really be gotten through action, and thus the positions and nuance tend to be very limited in a lot of ways. Thus, this book presents a tiny slice of the issues regarding journalism, power, and immigration, and Lois becomes a fairly flat avatar of one "side", which frustrates me.

The other problem is that there's no one at the big two presenting anything that's really critical of this "side". It'd be one thing if they hired a Chuck Dixon or Bill Willingham and they did political themes, and Rucka and Tom King and...well, literally every other writer they have did their own political themes. But that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Fascists exploit and often kill innocents. Fascism has led to the literal genocide of millions of people throughout history. Both Lois and Clark have historically been portrayed as extremely anti-fascism and for good reason.

So please explain to me how a sticker on her computer that makes a tongue in cheek joke to her words bringing down leadership that seeks to corrupt, exploit and, many times, literally kill people is not a good use of her journalism.

Should Superman be pro fascism? Should he and Lois remain “neutral” about fascism? Please explain.
    I agree that Superman, Lois, and all people of good will should oppose fascists (and all tyrannical people and systems).

But my question is: if I'm a conservative person, who refused to vote for Trump, but I happen to think that the 60 million people who did vote for Trump are not all fascists - am I a fascist? Does Lois (or Rucka through Lois) want to destroy me? Or is he willing to have a dialogue with me about the complicated issues facing us as individuals, as humans, and as Americans?

The other issue I take with "this machine destroys fascists" on her computer is that it's really immature. It's similar as if Lois had a MAGA sticker on her car. It's pure signalling on a very low level, instead of something hinting at nuance.

I'm confused. What kind of "strong case" can be made for the "perspective" of fascism or crimes against humanity?
    To which I ask again: would you consider all 60 million people who voted for Trump to be fascists because of that action? If the answer is yes, that's exactly why I have a problem with that sticker.

Nowhere did I say one ought to be neutral about fascism. But rather I think we should be objective about who is fascist. Simply labeling one's political opponents as fascist does not make them fascist. An argument, a strong case must be made. I suppose we don't know who Lois is taking a stand against until we've read the whole story. My suspicion is that Rucka will heavily imply that the current POTUS and all his supporters are fascist and that the political opponents of POTUS and his supporters are anti-fascist without making a strong case either way.

As I've mentioned, we'll see.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    Rucka is talented but I’m not up for him lionising mainstream journalists as a force for good leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    While I'm not a fan of lionizing journalists in many stories, I think that it would be silly for Lois not be be a heroic journalist. I just think that what she does at the end of this comic is not at all heroic.

Well, I am a reviewer, so I've read the whole thing, and I firmly believe that the part hinted at in the preview is unsubtle, lazy, and connecting Lois with some of the least admirable political actors on the left. However, besides those 3 pages, and the laptop sticker, I really loved most of the comic, even though I know it's from a political perspective dimetrically opposed to mine.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

Well, I am a reviewer, so I've read the whole thing,
    Did Vic appear in the issue?