Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I read the preview and Lois has a sticker on her computer that says "this machine kills fascists". That's an activist's computer, not a journalist's. So far, my expectations are low for this book.
    Lois Lane has been portrayed for 80 years as someone who speaks truth to power and has no tolerance for power that corrupts. One of her most famous lines in Superman: The Movie is a comment about how Superman’s promise to fight for truth and justice means he will be confronting half the politicians in the city.

On “Lois and Clark” both Lois and Clark literally fight and expose actual Nazis. On Smallville, Lois was in an ongoing battle with the city DA who was notoriously corrupt. She also fought against Zod when he enslaved people.

Fascists exploit and often kill innocents. Fascism has led to the literal genocide of millions of people throughout history. Both Lois and Clark have historically been portrayed as extremely anti-fascism and for good reason.

So please explain to me how a sticker on her computer that makes a tongue in cheek joke to her words bringing down leadership that seeks to corrupt, exploit and, many times, literally kill people is not a good use of her journalism.

Should Superman be pro fascism? Should he and Lois remain “neutral” about fascism? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    but I do think a writer will always have their set prejudices before writing any story.
    Yes, and good writers are willing to make a strong case for perspectives that oppose theirs. Those unwilling to do so are weak writers in my opinion.

I read the preview and Lois has a sticker on her computer that says "this machine kills fascists". That's an activist's computer, not a journalist's. So far, my expectations are low for this book.
    Journalists are opposed to fascists. Fascism is anti-democratic; journalism is critical to a functional democracy. It is exactly the sort of sticker a journalist would and should have on her computer. It's not as if "fair and balanced" journalist would have neutral or unbiased feelings about fascists. All journalists are ethically bound to oppose everything fascism represents.
    Last edited by misslane; 07-02-2019 at 11:28 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I feel where you're coming from SK.

I've always been kind of super gun shy when it comes to how real world issues are addressed in comics. Normally I think my go-to is to rather go with allegory. But there are a handful of characters and situations that leave me pretty good with getting a bit more direct, and I didn't know this about myself till I read here, but Lois doing her thing is 100% one of those situations. So I personally dug it.

That said, I'd ultimately like to see the issues Lois tackles in this book be issues more unique to the DCU so more can be done with and about them. But I'm pretty cool with the real world call out here as it is.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yes, and good writers are willing to make a strong case for perspectives that oppose theirs. Those unwilling to do so are weak writers in my opinion.
    I'm confused. What kind of "strong case" can be made for the "perspective" of fascism or crimes against humanity?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I feel where you're coming from SK.

I've always been kind of super gun shy when it comes to how real world issues are addressed in comics. Normally I think my go-to is to rather go with allegory. But there are a handful of characters and situations that leave me pretty good with getting a bit more direct, and I didn't know this about myself till I read here, but Lois doing her thing is 100% one of those situations. So I personally dug it.

That said, I'd ultimately like to see the issues Lois tackles in this book be issues more unique to the DCU so more can be done with and about them. But I'm pretty cool with the real world call out here as it is.
    Lois Lane is definitely one of if not the go-to character to tackle this stuff with, I definitely agree with that. It may not be my strong cup of tea but if we're talking supporting characters in the DC Universe, I'm hard pressed to think of one more appropriate for political storylines than her. I still don't think Rucka is writing it that well regardless for already expressed reasons in these previews, but all in all she's a prime character for it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-02-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Why should Greg Rucka write Lois Lane as being neutral towards fascism? Why would Lois Lane, mother of a Kryptonian child, wife of a literal refugee and investigative journalist be “neutral” on migrants being detained at the border?

Let’s just put aside Greg for a minute. You don’t share his politics. Ok. That’s fair. But why wouldn’t he write LOIS LANE, a notoriously assertive female character who has exhibited an 80 year zero tolerance policy for fascism and literally gave birth to a child who would 100% be considered “other” should his true parentage be exposed—why wouldn’t he write HER this way?

I do not understand who you think Lois Lane is. She has never been neutral when she feels injustices are taking place. Investigative journalists are not just writing book reports. Their job is to expose the truth and to seek the truth even if it makes people mad or uncomfortable. What about this behavior doesn’t fit with Lois Lane?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Journalists are opposed to fascists. Fascism is anti-democratic; journalism is critical to a functional democracy. It is exactly the sort of sticker a journalist would and should have on her computer. It's not as if "fair and balanced" journalist would have neutral or unbiased feelings about fascists. All journalists are ethically bound to oppose everything fascism represents.

Thank you. This.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I'm confused. What kind of "strong case" can be made for the "perspective" of fascism or crimes against humanity?

Yes. I had this question as well. Why should Lois Lane and Superman make a case for those who would oppress and exploit vulnerable people?

All-New Member

Some characters are going to have opinions you don't. Don't read it if that bothers you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Yes. I had this question as well. Why should Lois Lane and Superman make a case for those who would oppress and exploit vulnerable people?
    Even if Rucka kept Lois and Superman in character as pro-immigrant and anti-fascist, I'm struggling to picture a scenario in which the opposing point of view would be made by anyone other than characters who are set against them as either straight up villains or nuisance antagonists. I don't know how you have any element of a story challenge the political point of view of heroic characters who stand for truth, justice, and compassion and have that point of view appear valid.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

And when a good writer is writing primarily from the perspective of a specific character, then their job is to express that character's views as completely as possible. If Rucka were writing a Nazi as the main character, and we were to see the world through their eyes, then I'd expect him to give me that perspective. It's literally just the concept of writing from a POV, and if it just so happens that Lois' views historically line up with Rucka's then lucky him.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-02-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post

So please explain to me how a sticker on her computer that makes a tongue in cheek joke to her words bringing down leadership that seeks to corrupt, exploit and, many times, literally kill people is not a good use of her journalism.

Should Superman be pro fascism? Should he and Lois remain “neutral” about fascism? Please explain.
    Nowhere did I say one ought to be neutral about fascism. But rather I think we should be objective about who is fascist. Simply labeling one's political opponents as fascist does not make them fascist. An argument, a strong case must be made. I suppose we don't know who Lois is taking a stand against until we've read the whole story. My suspicion is that Rucka will heavily imply that the current POTUS and all his supporters are fascist and that the political opponents of POTUS and his supporters are anti-fascist without making a strong case either way.

As I've mentioned, we'll see.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 07-02-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: a word

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And when a good writer is writing primarily from the perspective of a specific character, then their job is to express that character's views as completely as possible.
    And I think that job would best be performed if that character had to make a case for their perspective against someone with an equally strong perspective. The characters we love should run the risk of being wrong.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 07-02-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Parker View Post
    Some characters are going to have opinions you don't. Don't read it if that bothers you so much.
    Here's hoping my favourite character, The Question is portrayed as a person who questions. It's in the name. It's why I like him.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 07-02-2019 at 11:58 AM.