Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Did Vic appear in the issue?
    No. But the solicit for issue 3 is confirmed in issue 1 on that count.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Journalists are opposed to fascists. Fascism is anti-democratic; journalism is critical to a functional democracy. It is exactly the sort of sticker a journalist would and should have on her computer. It's not as if "fair and balanced" journalist would have neutral or unbiased feelings about fascists. All journalists are ethically bound to oppose everything fascism represents.
    100%

Really sad that this stuff needs to be pointed out to people, but hey. Lois Lane has always been anti-fascist. She's a serious journalist, she's married to freaking Superman. She is an ally to the people.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-02-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    You’re clearly not familiar with the British press.

Rucka is talented but I’m not up for him lionising mainstream journalists as a force for good leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    I agree with you completely, but I think we need to assume that within the DCU Lois and Clark are the real deal and not corporate media hacks.

I think making Lois and Clark into big mainstream media pundits is a problem. Lois might be able to skirt by but Clark should be way more off the grid.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-02-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

Just read it. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    100%

Really sad that this stuff needs to be pointed out to people, but hey. Lois Lane has always been anti-fascist. She's a serious journalist, she's married to freaking Superman. She is an ally to the people.
    People aren't arguing that Lois shouldn't be anti-fascist though. At least I haven't. Nor has Ulysses, nor millernumber1. The latter two of course wording their arguments much better than I did, but no one's arguing Lois or Superman wouldn't be anti-fascist. Of course they are. Any decent person is anti-fascist. Be willing to bet dollars to donuts all of us here are too. It would only be an incredibly twisted argument to try to change what they've been clearly articulating and turn it into something as silly as "Lois should not hate fascism".
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-03-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Got my physical copy! (also got my current favorite title )

"We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Looking forward to some reviews to see the general consensus. If its overwhelmingly positive I'll give it a shot at some point.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Looking forward to some reviews to see the general consensus. If its overwhelmingly positive I'll give it a shot at some point.
    Well, I've gone on record saying that the last three pages are not well done, but I still think it's pretty good. I obviously got the first one, and I'm on board for the next one, hoping that it focuses more on the other 17 pages.

You've relayed pretty much all my concerns, so its probably worth a shot for me if its just three pages of badness. I've read more bad pages than that and come away with an overall positive reception to a book before.

You've relayed pretty much all my concerns, so its probably worth a shot for me if its just three pages of badness. I've read more bad pages than that and come away with an overall positive reception to a book before.
    The art is really, really gorgeous, too. And the Clark/Lois stuff is really well done. I also think going in knowing that there's some bad stuff helps.

Cool cool, I'm not grabbing anything this week (would have got TWD but I didn't know the big news), but perhaps I'll add it next.

People aren't arguing that Lois shouldn't be anti-fascist though. At least I haven't. Nor has Ulysses, nor millernumber1. The latter two of course wording their arguments much better than I did, but no one's arguing Lois or Superman wouldn't be anti-fascist. Of course they are. Any decent person is anti-fascist. Be willing to bet dollars to donuts all of us here are too. It would only be an incredibly twisted argument to try to change what they've been clearly articulating and turn it into something as silly as "Lois should not hate fascism".
    It seems to me the argument was that one sticker on her laptop was a portent of bad writing for the comic that would carelessly lump together fascists with anyone right of center on the political spectrum. In other words, I was quite taken aback by the "concern" triggered by that sticker. Because rather than view it for what it was -- an anti-fascist sticker -- it was seen as evidence Rucka was going to write Lois Lane as a biased stand in for mainstream media bogeymen while other beloved characters could be preachy judgmental SJWs who saw no difference between fascists and and conservatives. It's just very odd that a simple statement of anti-fascism could be taken so personally and be the cause of much hand-wringing. You would think, generally speaking, one would be more concerned about fascism and the victims of fascists than the potential for already privileged groups of people maybe, possibly, potentially having their feelings hurt by a comic book that maybe, possibly, potentially could get a little preachy.

I think it was more seen as a concern, not necessarily outright evidence that it would, without a singular doubt, happen. If I came across that way it would of course be due to my bias that I've never been that big a fan of Rucka's DC work. Perhaps that caused me to not even entertain that it could still be a well-crafted story overall. I can own that but don't necessarily think its a damning admission, everyone has their preferred writers and those they're not too crazy about it. There's lots of nuance that can go into a reader jumping to conclusions about a book. At the same time I don't necessarily see a big wrong with that concern and the question of "how will this story portray exactly who are all portrayed as outright fascist?" upon a reading of a preview. Previews are meant to wet the beak and generate a discussion of the contents after all for the prospective reader. As for me not always wanting a lot of heavy political nuance in my comics, that's just the way I've always been. But that doesn't at all relate to the priorities of the real world and suggest any lack of care thereof. I care very much. For those that their entertainment and the allusions to real world issues are more than welcome to being deeply entwined, that's more than fair enough. That's all I've ever come from on the issue.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-03-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    100%

I can't speak for US Journalists (even if I don't think they are Left-leaning enough for my tastes as a rule of thumb).

But here in France, journalists as a corporation propelled and helped put in place our current President, who is an authoritarian, state-destroyer, business and austerity enabler. ANd they have applauded and lauded him for it as long as he didn't turned on them - which he has been doing now for some time.

So I can't help but laugh at the idea that journalists, especially important and well-placed ones like Lois are "allies to the people". They are self-serving at best, servants of the system which forces billions to poverty and kill our planet at worst.

Needless to say, I gave this a shot because I like Bendis' run, but won't be coming back. I still can't stand Rucka's writing and I really don't like Lois Lane, as a character. At all.

So, well, I just hope this book will last as long as possible for those who enjoy it. You guys deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    You are only a fascist enabler if you care more about being called an enabler (even in error) than protesting fascism or voting against actual fascists. If that isn't you, then the label doesn't apply.
    Exactly. Though in America right now, like in Turkey or Hungary, I'd say that the time for and the luxury of neutrality is over. It is no longer possible to be a neutral, just as it wasn't possible to be a neutral in Italy in 1922 or in Germany in 1933.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    But here in France, journalists as a corporation propelled and helped put in place our current President, who is an authoritarian, state-destroyer, business and austerity enabler. ANd they have applauded and lauded him for it as long as he didn't turned on them - which he has been doing now for some time.
    Journalists have always come in several varieties. You have the muckrakers: Lois is clearly positioned as one of them. You have the entertainers, and you have the propagandists. Sadly, the propagandists have come to dominate, especially on the upper echelons of publishing.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])