Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

When this was just rumored, I was actually hoping for a limited series or prestige format book like Black Label versus an ongoing.

One, like has been said, this removes a lot of the uncertainty around the story. We know Rucka has a 12 issue tale to tell and will tell it.

Two, I'm protective of Lois and don't think there are that many people how will actually do her justice. I don't want this book to go from Greg Rucka to like James Robinson and be run into the ground like Wonder Woman was. And while I love Lois, any book she headlines is going to be a little off the main "superhero" road and be more niche. Look at what happened with Iron Fist and Hawkeye over at Marvel, critically acclaimed first runs (by Fraction, Bruebaker, and Aja and Fraction & Aja) similar in tone and kind off beat to what we can expect from Rucka, that floundered once the first creative team left. And Rucka has way to much going on with TV and his creator owned projects to be on this book long term.

I am totally ok if this turns out as good as I hope that it's a solid 12 issue run they can collect and sell as TPB and Rucka or some other team that is really special for the character comes back and does a Vol. 2 in a year or so when they have a solid story to tell. The monthly floppy comics market is just not set up to sustain these type of titles long term. I'd rather a Mister Miracle than a book that inevitably runs into the ground because they had to throw some fill in team on it.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    When this was just rumored, I was actually hoping for a limited series or prestige format book like Black Label versus an ongoing.

One, like has been said, this removes a lot of the uncertainty around the story. We know Rucka has a 12 issue tale to tell and will tell it.

Two, I'm protective of Lois and don't think there are that many people how will actually do her justice. I don't want this book to go from Greg Rucka to like James Robinson and be run into the ground like Wonder Woman was. And while I love Lois, any book she headlines is going to be a little off the main "superhero" road and be more niche. Look at what happened with Iron Fist and Hawkeye over at Marvel, critically acclaimed first runs (by Fraction, Bruebaker, and Aja and Fraction & Aja) similar in tone and kind off beat to what we can expect from Rucka, that floundered once the first creative team left. And Rucka has way to much going on with TV and his creator owned projects to be on this book long term.

I am totally ok if this turns out as good as I hope that it's a solid 12 issue run they can collect and sell as TPB and Rucka or some other team that is really special for the character comes back and does a Vol. 2 in a year or so when they have a solid story to tell. The monthly floppy comics market is just not set up to sustain these type of titles long term. I'd rather a Mister Miracle than a book that inevitably runs into the ground because they had to throw some fill in team on it.
    Well said. I hadn't even thought of creator shifts (because Rucka seems like a name you wouldn't really replace unless he couldn't do it anymore...though that does tend to happen sometimes, with Wonder Woman, Cyclops, even Batwoman). I hope that 12-issue runtime will also mean art teams are schedulled so it's all one thing. I like that approach a lot more.

It's interesting how Omega Men, despite not selling at all well, has spawned so many interesting experiments going forward - sort of Vision, Bane Conquest, Martian Manhunter, Mister Miracle, Raven: Daughter of Darkness, and now Lois and Jimmy. I hope that it continues to give smaller characters more chances to have significant stories without the uncertainty of an ongoing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Absolutely. A lot of the pressure is taken off when the story is written with a definitive end. And I do agree, this format will serve Lois better, especially when there's a story to be told as opposed to spinning their wheels because they don't know what to do with the character because she's not a run of the mill superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well said. I hadn't even thought of creator shifts (because Rucka seems like a name you wouldn't really replace unless he couldn't do it anymore...though that does tend to happen sometimes, with Wonder Woman, Cyclops, even Batwoman). I hope that 12-issue runtime will also mean art teams are schedulled so it's all one thing. I like that approach a lot more.

It's interesting how Omega Men, despite not selling at all well, has spawned so many interesting experiments going forward - sort of Vision, Bane Conquest, Martian Manhunter, Mister Miracle, Raven: Daughter of Darkness, and now Lois and Jimmy. I hope that it continues to give smaller characters more chances to have significant stories without the uncertainty of an ongoing.
    Rucka left Wonder Woman because of his commitment to his creator owned projects and the TV projects he has in development. He's not like Bendis who will have 15 books going at once. He said the grind for those 24 issues of Wonder Woman were really tough, and he had commitments with Lazarus and Black Magik that he needed to fulfil along with I think a Lazarus series on Amazon and now an Old Guard Netflix series. So this 12 issues is probably what he would have maxed out on it.

Perkins in that recent podcast said he can do 12 issues in a year, so I don't anticipate they'll have fill in artists or anything. Which is a really great thing when it's eventually collected.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Omega Men, Vision, Martian Manhunter, etc. model. DC's publishing shift this year will mean more of these limited runs that they want to collect and market at the TPB level as a complete and stand alone book, more evergreen than a "Vol. 6 of whatever" ongoing series. A Lois Lane book, one that has some tangential ties to Superman but isn't completely dependant on knowing what Superman's continuity was in October of 2018 is something they could keep on bookstore shelves for a while. While it sounds at first blush that it might require that, with the photograph of her kissing him being a plot point. That is vague enough that it fits with the general background noise of Lois and Clark Kent's status quo that you really won't need to have read Bendis' run to get the background. So I hope really that this isn't tied to or dependent upon knowing Leviathan's role or what not.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Rucka left Wonder Woman because of his commitment to his creator owned projects and the TV projects he has in development. He's not like Bendis who will have 15 books going at once. He said the grind for those 24 issues of Wonder Woman were really tough, and he had commitments with Lazarus and Black Magik that he needed to fulfil along with I think a Lazarus series on Amazon and now an Old Guard Netflix series. So this 12 issues is probably what he would have maxed out on it.

Perkins in that recent podcast said he can do 12 issues in a year, so I don't anticipate they'll have fill in artists or anything. Which is a really great thing when it's eventually collected.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Omega Men, Vision, Martian Manhunter, etc. model. DC's publishing shift this year will mean more of these limited runs that they want to collect and market at the TPB level as a complete and stand alone book, more evergreen than a "Vol. 6 of whatever" ongoing series. A Lois Lane book, one that has some tangential ties to Superman but isn't completely dependant on knowing what Superman's continuity was in October of 2018 is something they could keep on bookstore shelves for a while. While it sounds at first blush that it might require that, with the photograph of her kissing him being a plot point. That is vague enough that it fits with the general background noise of Lois and Clark Kent's status quo that you really won't need to have read Bendis' run to get the background. So I hope really that this isn't tied to or dependent upon knowing Leviathan's role or what not.
    I mean, I know why Rucka left almost all of his projects (at least, what he's said about leaving them). I believe he has said he would have continued on Wonder Woman if they'd dropped it to monthly, but DC isn't willing to do that, sadly.

I really, really hope that Perkins and editorial have it schedulled out well. Because even though the fill-in art issue for Omega Men is fine, I still wish Bagenda had been able to do all of it. Conversely, I hope we don't run into a Mister Miracle situation, where they just keep delaying the whole thing for health and life reasons.

I'm pretty sure that they'll be smart about it - using editor's notes to explain and point readers in the right direction, but also being its own story. That's how the Cyclops series went when Rucka was on it, at least (which also, amusingly, tied into a Bendis storyline )
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

12 issues isn't bad at all.

Not even two issues in for BOTH titles before Bat saturation seeps in as they both head to Gotham City. Its beyond irritating.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Not even two issues in for BOTH titles before Bat saturation seeps in as they both head to Gotham City. Its beyond irritating.
    At least with respect to Lois' book I think it's Renee Montoya, not Batman, that's the "new ally". They've hinted she's going to show up.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Rucka does love Gotham.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    An American, nay, GLOBAL Icon is turning 80 this year.

Someone who broke ground with their debut back in 1938's ACTION COMICS #1 vol 1. Someone who has been reinvented several times over the last 8 decades, with plenty of highs and plenty of lows along the way. Someone who is an inspiration to many, and has an army of loyal fans.

OK, that set-up was more than a bit obvious: I'm talking about Lois Lane, the Greatest Supporting Character in Fiction*.

And given that she has been in the Superverse since Day One, Year One, it is high time she got her own solo ongoing title ... again.

Yes, again.

Say what you will about the old SUPERMAN'S GIRLFRIEND LOIS LANE title and the indignities foisted upon Lois time and again there, but at least she was the focal point of an ongoing series at a time when there were very few major comic books with a woman as its lead.

She's had a forgotten miniseries in the 1980s:

And an attempt at a one-shot in the New 52:

Despite that often-rocky track record, I so think the time is right for a new solo Lois Lane title.

With SUPERWOMAN and SUPERGIRL both ending, there is a female-shaped void in the Superverse corner of the DCU. A void that a new LOIS LANE title could nicely fill (though I firmly expect SUPERGIRL will get yet another title of her own, what with the TV show and all).

Lois offers potentially something new.

Like Catwoman, she is attached to a much larger (in pop culture) male super-hero and while not a super-hero herself, has her own career.

Unlike her new bestie Selina Kyle (See BATMAN's "Super Friends" for the hilarious double-date two-parter), Lois Lane doesn't wear a costume nor have a secret identity nor break the law as a job requirement ... but she is also a mother to an aspiring super-hero in Jon Kent. She is the world's greatest reporter*, with journalistic skills and accomplishments and recognition that dwarfs Clark's own in the same field. There's a lot you could do with a Lois Lane title in the right hands.

I would read (and buy) a solo LOIS LANE ongoing title with almost no questions asked.

All that said ...

Has anyone actually heard or read anything that something like this might happen anytime soon?

My best guess is that before 2018 ends on New Year's Eve, we will see a solo Lois-related something released to celebrate HER 80th anniversary.

A solo ongoing? Maybe. A solo miniseries? Maybe. A solo one-shot or graphic novel? Maybe.

All three? Probably not, but nice to think about.

Who do you want writing and drawing such a title? What would be your preferred angle?

Presume that it will be under the Superverse Editorial Offices, but other than that, any favorite writer/penciller/inker/cover artist team you want for a LOIS LANE ongoing series?

I'm not sure who or what I'd want yet.

* - IMHO
    I didn't know about that middle one! Did it take place in the pre- or post-Crisis timeline?
    Assassinate Putin!

At least with respect to Lois' book I think it's Renee Montoya, not Batman, that's the "new ally". They've hinted she's going to show up.
    Yeah, I assumed it was Montoya as well.

It was either going to be her or Batwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I didn't know about that middle one! Did it take place in the pre- or post-Crisis timeline?
    It's set in Pre-Crisis. Really dark story actually dealing with kidnapping and child sex abuse.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I was underwhelmed by Rucka's most recent Wonder Woman run, but I am very much looking forward to what he's able to do with Lois Lane. There's so much potential there just waiting to be explored.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Renee and/or Batwoman would make the Bat-connection in the Lois book more bearable and it makes sense considering the author, but it being in Jimmy too is pretty obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Renee and/or Batwoman would make the Bat-connection in the Lois book more bearable and it makes sense considering the author, but it being in Jimmy too is pretty obnoxious.
    Probably have to blame it on the company-wide "Year-of-the-Forever-Underworld-Unleashed-Evil-Villain" nonsense at DC.