Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Although the preview does not mention Trump by name, it inferred it. Lois is a hard hitting, Pulitzer prize winning journalist, I expect nothing less from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I find it kind of weird that you don’t like this but are a fan of Pak’s Action run. Didn’t Superman stand with protestors and punch cops at the height of the real-world BLM movement? I wouldn’t exactly call that “subtle” lol. What are some stories of “politics done right” in your eyes? Because when I think of famous comic book stories, none of them are subtle. The X-Men for example are as subtle as a brick, especially stories like “God Loves, Man Kills”. The O’Neil Green Arrow/Green Lantern run was not subtle at all. The early Golden Age Superman stories were not subtle at all. Grant Morrison’s Action Comics made it pretty clear which side of the political spectrum New 52 Superman was on. Hellblazer was very anti-Thatcher, and Morrison was not subtle at all about his opinions on politics or social issues in Doom Patrol or Animal Man.
    That was all relevant to a superhero story. The inference was clear but it was also Superman fighting slime-possessed cops. There was still that "comic book" element. So it didn't bother me. Superman wasn't wearing a BLM shirt and name-dropping Travyon Martin or anything like that. So yeah, to me that was far more subtle, and an example of political nuance in a story that I don't mind. The particular spectrum a specific character is on is completely irrelevant to me as well. With that said maybe all this does tie into the story. Maybe it IS the story. Lois Lane isn't a superhero per se anyway so maybe this is supposed to be a ripped from the headlines book. And if that's its theme, fair enough. It just probably won't be for me. The fact I'm not that big a Rucka fan already made it a bit of a tough sell for me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-30-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Maybe, they want it to be biased or not having any nuance. I am okay with that as long as it is being honest about it.i mean, lois can be pretty hard headed. So, her perspective will also be.
    As for, name dropping.. Etc. This book might be going for controversy sells angle for marketing. I don't blame them. The book needs to sell.

Astonishing Member

This might be the opening act but something tells me it won't be the entire arc of this book. It's possible they'll shift it to the background after issue #1. I don't think it will even mention Trump by name. Rucka could just be starting the book in this manner to show readers why Lois is feared as a journalist. We already know it but seeing her in action, doing what she does best hasn't been showcased properly in a long time. This book is the perfect place to let her shine (not as an appendage to Superman) and I cannot wait to read it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I haven't read the previews, but are they actually portraying Donald Trump as the sitting President of the USA in her maxi-series? I thought DC Earth no longer used actual presidents.

I guess my question is: is the President explicitly Trump, or implied to be Trump, or not Trump at all (distinct but with similar policies) in this title?
    Aquaman had a stand off with Obama, after he found out the US was trying to knock the king of Atlantis off.

Great story bit.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Show of hands (or the typing equivalent): who here is planning on purchasing the LOIS LANE maxi-series (or at least the first issue)?

Me:

All in.

Going for the variant cover if I can get it, otherwise regular cover is fine.
    I'm at least going to check out the first issue and see how it goes from there. But if I have to buy every other crossover book to follow what's going on then I'm out.
    Assassinate Putin!

Still don't like how Clark is just like "Okay cool" with thhe secret keeping. I know, he kept his secrets too, but hey, you want these two to be married that crap's gotta go. It'd be crap too if Clark did it and Lois was just as cool with it.

But I'm not pinning that on Rucka, this part is Bendis's storyline so the plot-necessary characterization in this regard is more on him. Their dynamic otherwise here in this preview is fine.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I'm so got damn hype about this book. It's about to pop the f#*k off on Wednesday lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Hmmmm...seems a little more tied in with the Bendis stuff than I was hoping.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I think, if I remember correctly, that this is the only Bendis-related storyline to play much of a role here. And one issue will feature Jon telling her he's bolting, but that could amount to basically a cameo. Beyond that I expect the vast majority to be her own thing. The connective tissues will be there is all.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hmmmm...seems a little more tied in with the Bendis stuff than I was hoping.
    I mean, that makes sense given the fact that Bendis has said several times that he developed all of the Lois (and Lois/Clark) stuff with Rucka at his bedside from day one, and that they continue to work very closely together on all things Lois and Metropolis.

I think a lot of people were (and still are) under the impression that Bendis just did whatever he wanted, and now Rucka's gonna have to work within those bound, but in reality it's far more likely that whatever Bendis did was either co imagined or directly signed off by Rucka. So it stands to reason that he'd use what's been set up for his character and her wold.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love Rucka and this actually looks pretty solid.

I'll likely get around to reading it sooner rather than later.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think, if I remember correctly, that this is the only Bendis-related storyline to play much of a role here. And one issue will feature Jon telling her he's bolting, but that could amount to basically a cameo. Beyond that I expect the vast majority to be her own thing. The connective tissues will be there is all.
    Oh, I was ready for the kiss thing. That I was fine with and made sense to me, but the continued emphasis that the Kents aren't a normal family and the idea that Lois has this big secret about why she left Jon with Jor-El (which is tied into the of the weakest element of Bendis's Superman run) make me worry we're also about to get bogged down in a lot of attempts to justify something that can't be justified. And as much as I love Jon, I want this book to be about Lois the reporter, not Lois being a terrible mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I mean, that makes sense given the fact that Bendis has said several times that he developed all of the Lois (and Lois/Clark) stuff with Rucka at his bedside from day one, and that they continue to work very closely together on all things Lois and Metropolis.

I think a lot of people were (and still are) under the impression that Bendis just did whatever he wanted, and now Rucka's gonna have to work within those bound, but in reality it's far more likely that whatever Bendis did was either co imagined or directly signed off by Rucka. So it stands to reason that he'd use what's been set up for his character and her wold.
    No, it goes without saying that Bendis is the one driving the main Superman stories. Just cause he's using Rucka and Fraction as a sounding board doesn't mean that the decisions that happen in his book aren't his. Rucka's not his boss and Rucka's not taking the lead. Fraction and Rucka are working around Bendis, not the other way around.

Irregardless, I don't really see how that matters. Rucka is my favorite comic author, but that doesn't mean he hasn't written things I don't like (Veil) or made decisions with his characters I don't agree with (where the hell did Tara and Tom being a thing come from?). So it doesn't really matter to me who made the poor decisions. I still hope for them to be downplayed, so I can better enjoy what comes next.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

BANNED

It’s very well written even if I do not care for the secret angle anymore here than I did when Bendis did it.

....I’m kind of bummed about the art. I don’t care for it. I do wish Nicola Scott was on this book. But I’m trying not to let it ruin it for me.