Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 201
  1. #121
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Never mind.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-01-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  2. #122
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    I've genuinely enjoyed every preview so far. I'm really enjoying Bendis's work so far, so this tying into that doesn't bother me at all and I also like that it's directly addressing things people were concerned with about how Bendis was writing Lois. From kissing superman in public to the secrets she had in space, there is a lot about Lois that is clouded in mystery right now and I am glad we can explore these things now.

    As for the people mad it's using a lot of current politics as plot points, I respect your opinion but if Lois is one of the best journalists in the DCU right now, it's only they don't ignore the fact that the current WH administration thinks so little of the media and is blatantly lying and calling them fake news. We need a important comics figure like Lois representing the media that does their jobs right even with the scruitinity they face today. I actually really admire Rucka writing her like this instead of going the easy route and doing something like Lois a story writing a novel and having a DCU hero cameo every issue.

  3. #123
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    3,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Itís very well written even if I do not care for the secret angle anymore here than I did when Bendis did it.

    ....Iím kind of bummed about the art. I donít care for it. I do wish Nicola Scott was on this book. But Iím trying not to let it ruin it for me.
    I'm less excited about the art then I was. But it still has a very Gotham Central vibe to it. Which I loved. So who knows. I will give it a shot. If it ties in too closely with the other books then I may drop it. I'm not currently reading them and I don't want to have to read every Super-book just to follow what goes on in one. That was my biggest fear was that it's very continuity heavy and you have to know what's going on in all the other books to know what's going on.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  4. #124
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm less excited about the art then I was. But it still has a very Gotham Central vibe to it. Which I loved. So who knows. I will give it a shot. If it ties in too closely with the other books then I may drop it. I'm not currently reading them and I don't want to have to read every Super-book just to follow what goes on in one. That was my biggest fear was that it's very continuity heavy and you have to know what's going on in all the other books to know what's going on.
    Oh there’s nothing that would stop me from supporting the book. The art style isn’t my favorite and it’s hard distinctly because I do think they should have tried to get a female artist. The book has been criticized for having an all male team and there’s merit to that even though I think Rucka was the correct writer. But the artist could have been a woman and I feel that even harder now after seeing the art. But I still will gladly support the book and hope and pray that this leads to more projects for Lois with female creatives.

  5. #125
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of interesting to think of Rucka writing Vic Sage again when he's more well-known for killing him off and making Renee the Question.
    Well, as someone who loves Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood more than 52 (even though I do love 52, especially Vic and Renee's sections of it), I think it's great to know that Rucka will get another chance to write him again. I hope it'll flesh out the hints that Bendis has been giving in Action. I've missed Vic a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Despite killing him off, Rucka has professed great love for Vic Sage Question and did feature him in some of his work before 52.
    If you listen to the way he talked about Vic in his interviews, it's clear he adores Denny O'Neil's run on the character, and really loves the character himself as well. I'm quite excited.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not the political themes, its how unsubtle it is. Good use of relevant political themes of the day imo are weaved into the fictional plot as opposed to being so on the nose as this. I mean, Rucka literally uses Lois to call Trump an asshole. Its nothing against his views its just not what I'm looking for. I'm not saying its either appropriate nor inappropriate, just not what I see as particularly engaging writing. Again, for me.
    I agree about the lack of subtlety. It feels really lazy, and I've heard that it was done before the Acosta incident, but I can't help seeing Acosta's narcissism and shallowness in Lois in the scene, and that's really frustrating to me.

    And I say this as a really big Rucka fan...but I'm also a big critic of the plotline where Rucka has Sasha Bordeaux shoot Lois, back just before the OMAC/Infinite Crisis event, because it was clearly riffing on the slaughtered embedded journalists, except that it decided to target President Bush's administration (with Lex as a proxy) instead of the people who were actually slaughtering journalists, the terrorists. There's a real blind spot there that really frustrates me, and I am hopeful that this is a more minor part of the overall plotline, and that Rucka will focus less on making "ripped from the headlines" with Lois inserted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Oh there’s nothing that would stop me from supporting the book. The art style isn’t my favorite and it’s hard distinctly because I do think they should have tried to get a female artist. The book has been criticized for having an all male team and there’s merit to that even though I think Rucka was the correct writer. But the artist could have been a woman and I feel that even harder now after seeing the art. But I still will gladly support the book and hope and pray that this leads to more projects for Lois with female creatives.
    It's interesting, because having read what I have, I really love the art. I think it's got the grittiness of Michael Lark and the other Gotham Central artists, but a slightly stronger focus on detail rendering and a certain type of "realism" that I think fleshes the characters out a bit more, especially in acting - the expressions on Clark and Lois's faces are really well done. I love Nicola Scott, but I don't think she'd be right for this book. There are some who I could see, like Emma Rios, but I think Perkins was a really excellent pick, and the colorists are doing a wonderful job as well.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  6. #126
    Fantastic Member Ulysses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    329

    Default

    I have mixed feelings. I'm a big Vic Sage fan. So I'm excited to pick this up! But if the book is going to be Greg Rucka telling me the political opinion I already know he has, then that's going to be an annoying read.

  7. #127
    Benefactor / Malefactor H-E-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Whether you like Bendis or not, the fact is that he knows a lot of talented people and has the connections to get them cool projects. Now, obviously with Rebirth Dc repaired their relationship with Rucka, but I don't think it's an unfair assumption to think a Lois Lane maxiseries wasn't really something DC was going to push for themselves. Same goes for Matt Fraction's Jimmy Olsen. Bendis is something of a talent magnet.

  8. #128
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    I will never understand people that have problem with a book having a political themes, especially one tied to a journalist, when they are being attacked near-daily by some of the highest people in office. Is that even a political opinion anymore when "they" are literally shouting fake news to even non-biased reports? If Rucka remains focused on telling the story of a journalist trying to persist even with all the hate being thrown her way, that's a great take.

    And the gender politics with tha that clark and lois discussion is the real world, not really any politic issues either. While these are uncomfortable talking points perhaps because these characters hold a lot of attachment, I think it' nice we get to see them tackle real issues people face in a suitable way.

  9. #129
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It looks really bad so far, unfortuantely. Heavy handed anti-Trump stuff in both previews. Not at all subtle and thus distracting. I don't understand the geeking out over Rucka.
    That's your opinion, and you only have it because Rucka sunk the SM/WW ship.

  10. #130
    Fantastic Member Ulysses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I will never understand people that have problem with a book having a political themes, .
    Don't know if this is directed at me but I'll respond just in case. It is and it's a good opportunity for me to clarify and perhaps for you to understand why someone may possibly have reservations about books with political themes.

    Personally I don't necessarily dislike books with political themes. But the politics in the book should be that of the characters, not the writer. And the book should contain multiple political perspectives for me to consider it good. Otherwise it comes across as propaganda or preaching. I want the characters to have strong arguments for differing perspectives.

    If the book actually steelman's the political perspectives it contains then that's interesting to me. What I don't like is when I can see the writer's a priori conclusions at the outset of the story.

    I grew up in a fundamental christian household and I've had more than my fair share of interactions with people who think they are absolutely correct and have no interest in thinking that maybe possibly other people's viewpoints have validity. For this reason, I personally seek out literature that is either apolitical or multi-political. I do not like when what I read leans only to one side because that reminds of interacting with my Jehovah's Witness family.

    Maybe the story will surprise me and Rucka will actually take an approach that appeals to me. I hope so, especially considering that The Question is my favorite character. We'll see.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 07-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.

  11. #131
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Parker View Post
    That's your opinion, and you only have it because Rucka sunk the SM/WW ship.
    Don't tell me why my opinion is the way it is, thanks much. If you want to know something about me and feel I haven't already provided an answer, feel free to ask. Had you asked instead of incorrectly assuming, I would have told you I haven't ever been a big Rucka fan, and that's been an opinion I've held for far longer than just three years since his last WW run. It formed a long time ago during his first WW run, which while okay I always felt was overrated. My feeling on his various works since then have been about the same. And I know its my opinion. Everyone's thoughts here are their opinions. We all understand this without having to be told.

    The SM/WW strawman is just old and exhausting at this point, honestly. I don't hate everything anyone who had anything to do with Rebirth does forever just because that went away, I am not nor ever have been that obsessed. Jurgens had just as big a part in tangibly tearing that down when Rebirth started and halfway through his Action Comics run I was getting the title again as I was a fan of a certain concept. Its gone. We move on. End of story. Not every opinion I have on the Superman mythos from that point forward revolves around that. Frankly my opinions on Superman's world revolve around Superman. That much is true and something I'll proudly cop to.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-02-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  12. #132
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Don't know if this is directed at me but I'll respond just in case. It is and it's a good opportunity for me to clarify and perhaps for you to understand why someone may possibly have reservations about books with political themes.

    Personally I don't necessarily dislike books with political themes. But the politics in the book should be that of the characters, not the writer. And the book should contain multiple political perspectives for me to consider it good. Otherwise it comes across as propaganda or preaching. I want the characters to have strong arguments for differing perspectives.

    If the book actually steelman's the political perspectives it contains then that's interesting to me. What I don't like is when I can see the writer's a priori conclusions at the outset of the story.

    I grew up in a fundamental christian household and I've had more than my fair share of interactions with people who think they are absolutely correct and have no interest in thinking that maybe possibly other people's viewpoints have validity. For this reason, I personally seek out literature that is either apolitical or multi-political. I do not like when what I read leans only to one side because that reminds of interacting with my Jehovah's Witness family.

    Maybe the story will surprise me and Rucka will actually take an approach that appeals to me. Especially considering that The Question is my favorite character. We'll see.
    I’ve seen various people with this sort of thinking on here and reddit, so the comment wasn’t wimed anyone in particular. I appreciate your POV, but I do think a writer will always have their set prejudices before writing any story. I agree, there are times when these things can be heavy handed, but from what I am seeing in the previews of this book specifically, nothing being written here is too on the nose, at least in a way that annoyed me.

  13. #133
    Fantastic Member Ulysses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    329

    Default

    I read the preview and Lois has a sticker on her computer that says "this machine kills fascists". That's an activist's computer, not a journalist's. So far, my expectations are low for this book.

  14. #134
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I've genuinely enjoyed every preview so far. I'm really enjoying Bendis's work so far, so this tying into that doesn't bother me at all and I also like that it's directly addressing things people were concerned with about how Bendis was writing Lois. From kissing superman in public to the secrets she had in space, there is a lot about Lois that is clouded in mystery right now and I am glad we can explore these things now.

    As for the people mad it's using a lot of current politics as plot points, I respect your opinion but if Lois is one of the best journalists in the DCU right now, it's only they don't ignore the fact that the current WH administration thinks so little of the media and is blatantly lying and calling them fake news. We need a important comics figure like Lois representing the media that does their jobs right even with the scruitinity they face today. I actually really admire Rucka writing her like this instead of going the easy route and doing something like Lois a story writing a novel and having a DCU hero cameo every issue.
    I'm pro- administration, pro-Trump!! A lot of the things he said about the media is true!!

  15. #135
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I read the preview and Lois has a sticker on her computer that says "this machine kills fascists". That's an activist's computer, not a journalist's. So far, my expectations are low for this book.
    Agreed. Pretty much comes down to what one feels is too heavy-handed or not. I'm with you that this thus far very much is. Only readable part to me was Lois and Clark's walk.

    Its not that I have no interest in politics. What's that saying? You may not be interested in politics but politics are interested in you. Its relevant to our way of life so I feel its my duty to try to be informed, even if I'm admittedly far from the most learned guy in the world when it comes to government. I'm not blase toward it at all. But when it comes to my entertainment and my hobbies? Most of the time yes, I like it checked at the front door outside of subtleties. I don't think that's a bad thing. Just like I don't think its a bad thing for those who love it. There's nothing out of bounds about doing it, but at the same time there's nothing out of bounds not using it so heavily. Sometimes the "I don't like overt political messages in my entertainment" gets translated as "I don't care about politics or the state of the world at all" and that's just not at all where I'm coming from. I care about all these things happening in our country (for us Americans)/world today. It just wasn't the main theme I was hoping for in a Lois Lane centric series is all. To some that might disqualify me from being a fan of Lois Lane and it apparently also makes me a fascist, but, whatever I guess.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-02-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •