Default Jumping on point?

I’m a lapsed reader and want to get back into the Batbooks. Can anyone give me a good jumping on point for the current Batman ongoing?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Batman Rebirth #1 then issue 1. THe book only started in 2016, it shouldn't take long to binge read.

Same with all the rebirth batman books.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Batman Rebirth #1 then issue 1. THe book only started in 2016, it shouldn't take long to binge read.

Same with all the rebirth batman books.
    Yea, I know. I’m just looking for something more recent. Like the current arc.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Yea, I know. I’m just looking for something more recent. Like the current arc.
    Yeah, that actually has a lot of the build up towards the current arc. Mainly, in that Selina becomes one of the most key members of the Bat Family going from there. Because it builds up to Bruce and Selina's upcoming marriage!

Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth is a great read.

Super Sons (Damian Wayne and Jon Kent) is a fun read, very reminiscent of World's Finest.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nightwing is the one you can jump on right now since they're transitioning to a different team in May, and the two one-shots at the moment are really good, guest starring Damian and Roy.
    Nightwing-42.jpg
    Nightwing-43.jpg

Batgirl will begin a new arc next week, but I think it's also the last one before they change creative team, so I don't know.

In June, Nightwing and Batgirl have a tie-in to the Batman and Catwoman wedding, Batman and Nightwing will also begin their new story in Justice League and Titans respectively, Detective Comics will begin a new story arc and Damian is ending his current team.

In July, the family will begin their post-wedding story arc. Catwoman will have her own book, Dick will be in Batman, Batgirl and Nightwing as he fills in as Batman during the honeymoon, and Damian will begin a new Teen Titans team.

So I think you should get Nightwing and maybe Batgirl if you want to jump in right now, then move on to the rest of the titles during or after the wedding.

Super Sons are being canceled but it's a standalone title you can read anytime. They will be moved to a free continuity title, but I don't know when.

Red Hood and The Outlaws are continuing their previous arc, a long story involving Bizarro, almost as long as BatCat. So that one is up to you. If you do want to follow both, BatCat began in Batman Vol. 2 I am Suicide and Red Hood in Vol. 3 Bizarro Reborn.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-21-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Incredible Member

If you want good stories then stay away from the main Batman book. Tom King has ruined that title. Red Hood and the Outlaws is great and Detective is alright.

Mighty Member

Talon1load your joking right .I heard nothing but great things with Tom King in Batman. I just got started with the current issues I got vol 1-5 .5 just came out and in June I think 6 is coming out

Amazing Member

If you're a single-issue/Wednesday Warrior type, then the 'Batman: Rebirth' stuff under Tom King's pen is where you'll want to start. "I Am Gotham", "I Am Suicide", "I Am Bane", "The Button" (NOTE: this was a crossover with 'The Flash' and follows up on stuff in 'FlashPoint'), "The War Of Jokes & Riddles", and I think some smaller stuff collected next in "Rules Of Engagement".

If you're down with trades, there are three general "jump on" spots.
    A) Grant Morrison... greenlight:"Batman & Son".
    You can look at this as a finale for Batman "post-Crisis/pre-FlashPoint". Pulls together a bunch of stuff. Goes in different directions. Do note that there are other things that'll happen between Morrison's arcs (like "Battle For The Cowl" and the new 52). I guess it just depends on whether you want EVERYTHING or if you can catch onto things easy enough (or if you feel Morrison covers them well enough).

B) Snyder/nu-52... greenlight:"The Court Of Owls"
    This was a series under the "new 52" banner with a soft softy SOFT reboot. It's a new continuity, but I think only "Zero Year" has any actual changes to Bats' timeline. Snyder has a cohesive storyline that runs throughout the whole thing, so if you'd like a variety of foes, it may not be for you. I love it, others loathe it. "Court Of Owls"/the first 12 issues are pretty generally beloved. Things get weird with "Graveyard Shift" tpb as... ok, so "Zero Year" told a throwback story while a TON of other things happened (the end of Morrison's run, a noteable death, and the launch of a weekly 'Batman' series that lasted a full year). Things from the general Bat-world get covered here, but then they hit the gas pedal again in "Endgame". So, if it gets rough, just know that it does get better again. And you can always come here and ask what was going on.

C) Tom King's Batman/"Rebirth"... greenlight: "I Am Gotham"
    Not gonna lie to you here - "I Am Gotham" is kinda rough. King's run improves afterwards, but the first six issues aren't exactly great. That said, the directions King takes are solid.

This is all for the main 'Batman' title. Are there any other particular folks you liked/are interested in?

Honestly, I think you should just run down to your LCS and pick up the latest issue on the shelf. Don't stress looking for the perfect entry point, just dive in and enjoy! You can always buy back issues later if you want.

All-New Member

As being someone new to DC comics in general, I'm loving Red Hood and the Outlaws. It's my favorite book at the moment. When I started reading the main Batman book, I dropped it after the 3rd issue. Then I came back for the War of Jokes and Riddles and was utterly confused, which is probably my fault because I just jumped right in the middle of it. But anyways, it just doesn't hold my attention.

Incredible Member

Just go to a comic store, pick a title, any title, that happens to have some fun characters you'd love to read.

My first pick up, was Detective Comics #837, as it had Harley Quinn and Riddler, written by Paul Dini, and was a delightfully fun read too.