Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hitman.

Breach (mid-00's, started as a Captain Atom relaunch, turned into its own weird Half-Life meets superheroes thing)

Manhunter (mid-00's)

Damage (early 90's)

The Ray (early 90's. First series Priest did after changing his name, I believe).

Steel (at least the first twenty-some issues, then the last few with....was it Priest again?)

Young Justice (that doesn't make a lot of top lists, right?)

Black Canary (DCYOU. I thought it was good, sue me)

Space Ghost (mid 00's. Art by Copiel or someone. Fun adaptation)

Green Lantern Mosaic.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Steel was good, I like it too. I actually like Reign of the Supermen. It gets overshadowed by Death and Funeral, and a lot of shade gets thrown at the whole thing, but I thought Reign overall was fun.

BANNED

Hitman: Who Dares, Wins
    Hitman: Night at the Gotham Aquarium
    Legends Of The Dark Knight: Blades
    Wonder Woman: The Hikateia
    Lucifer: The House of Windowless Rooms
    Sandman: A Game Of You (it's always the big ones like Dollhouse and Season Of Mists that get credit)
    Batwoman: Elegy
    Birds of Prey: Dead of Winter
    JSA: Black Reign
    Wildcats Version 3.0
    Sleeper

This thread has become filled with so many great reading suggestions. Thanks to all for participating. Hoping to get more and more great recommendations from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    My ten:
    First Issue Special #9 (Archie Goodwin & Walt Simonson on Dr. Fate)
    Secret Origins #10 (four takes on the Phantom Stranger's origin)
    Doorway to Nightmare #1-5 (Madame Xanadu and some classic Kaluta covers)
    Adventure Comics 431-440 (Fleischer & Aparo on the Spectre; reprinted in Wrath of the Spectre #1-4)
    Neal Adams on Deadman in Strange Adventures
    Hawkworld by Tim Truman
    Sword of the Atom by Jam Strnad & Gil Kane
    Arak, Son of Thunder #1-50
    Martian Manhunter: American Secrets #1-3
    Guns of the Dragon #1-4 by Tim Truman & co

-M
    A brief historical aside--the First Issue Special 9/Dr. Fate story was written by Martin Pasko.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Simonson View Post
    A brief historical aside--the First Issue Special 9/Dr. Fate story was written by Martin Pasko.
    And probably my favorite Dr. Fate story, being the first solo story of him I ever read... in Blue Ribbon Digest #3 reprint.
    Wish DC would re-release it and the rest of the Pasko Fate tales from Flash digitally.
    Thanks for the great work on it, btw.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Simonson View Post
    My bad, faulty memory and all. I was just discussing the Manhunter run (another favorite of mine) and conflated the two. Mea culpa.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Superman: Peace on Earth
    Batman Confidential
    Superman Confidential
    Flash #0 (by Waid)
    The Trust (Chip Kidd & Alex Ross)
    Justice by Alex Ross

I adore Peace On Earth because it examines Superman's human conundrums solving real-world problems without making Superman himself seem any less of a hopeful mythical figure. Ross and Dini do a fantastic job overall with "The World's Greatest Superheroes" but this one is my favorite.

Batman Confidential has my favorite Joker origin (and I say that without thinking he needs one per se) and maybe my favorite "early Batman" stuff in there too. I never thought "humanizing" Joker would work, but I was wrong; his pre-Joker persona is a great foundation for what comes next. The use of Gotham as a storytelling device is great too. I remember the opening describing the difference between peaceful quiet and tense loud silence. "For the first time in the months I've been working, Gotham is quiet." Several issues later, after the Joker arrives and turns Gotham upside down, Batman declares "Gotham is silent." Just great stuff.

Superman Confidential is one of my favorite Superman coming of age stories; it's charming and he faces his struggles and scares without being made a wimp or miserable kid.

Flash #0 is an incredibly touching story that defines Wally West for me. He travels back in time and arrives at his childhood home and he sees his younger self embarrassed by his overly critical father, something that's easy to relate to in childhood. So young Wally retreats to his room to dream about meeting the Flash, but at the same time doubts his dreams are valid; Wally reassures him that he should keep believing and being himself because everything will turn out alright. It's beautiful and reassuring and important example of guidance. It may be my favorite single issue.

The Trust is a short but sweet look into the respect Batman and Superman have for each other. In one short scene, the intensity of the situation and Batman's internal monologue tell us so much about their friendship. The final line just hits home.

"I often wonder, Clark: Do you now what you are? You are the original myth. The one we'll always believe. What would we ever do without you?"

Justice is just a fantastic Secret Society vs Justice League story. It's full of twists and turns and incredible character moments. It also balances the characters well and has a Silver Age shine while still feeling modern with respect to characterization. I also love how the League's relationship to the world's vulnerable is depicted.

Hawkworld, original mini by Tim Truman....best relaunch ever of a mainstream super hero. The following series written by John Ostrander was also good...but, for once the great John O was just a “notch down” from preceding material.

- Batman / Manhunter - Backup Detective Comics #437-442
    - We are Robin
    - Batman Adventures: Shadows and Masks - Batman Adventures vol.2 #5-9
    - The Loosers by Jack Kirby
    - Gardians of Earth-4 - The Action Heroes Archives vol.1&2
    - Li'l Gotham

This story is amazing

enemyace.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I adore Peace On Earth because it examines Superman's human conundrums solving real-world problems without making Superman himself seem any less of a hopeful mythical figure. Ross and Dini do a fantastic job overall with "The World's Greatest Superheroes" but this one is my favorite.
    I know it's popular, but I found it to be insultingly bad. It was just so massively over-simplified - but Alex Ross can paint elephants.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I know it's popular, but I found it to be insultingly bad. It was just so massively over-simplified - but Alex Ross can paint elephants.
    Insultingly bad? Why? You could explore each of his scenarios more in depth, but then the story would become less about him and get into more difficult questions. Which I wouldn't be against, but it would drag out the parable and complicate the ultimate conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    If you all don't mind too much I'd love it if this could just be a thread for sharing favorites and not debating them. I conceived this to be a 100% positive thread and I hope it can remain that way. IOW, only listing stories YOU loved, not damning stories others did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Insultingly bad? Why? You could explore each of his scenarios more in depth, but then the story would become less about him and get into more difficult questions. Which I wouldn't be against, but it would drag out the parable and complicate the ultimate conclusion.
    I just found that Superman's thought processes in the film were so incredibly simplistic and childlike.

Maybe I'm being too harsh though. I read the book as an adult. I might have liked it as a child, so maybe they're the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    If you all don't mind too much I'd love it if this could just be a thread for sharing favorites and not debating them. I conceived this to be a 100% positive thread and I hope it can remain that way. IOW, only listing stories YOU loved, not damning stories others did.
    I didn't mean to derail the thread. I always prefer threads when they're a full discussion with pros and cons. It keeps it more interesting. That's why I tend to avoid appreciation threads.