Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default The funniest Dropped NEW 52 plots.

Back in 2011 , DC decided to try and streamline their years of continuity again by doing New 52. The concept was a more Marvel attempt at doing business and re-imagining properties for the 21st century. Dan Didio had envisioned the idea back in 2005 during Infinite Crisis and wanted to restart things there. But didn't get approval then for it. So he had to wait 6 years later to do it finally and it spun outta Flashpoint.

So lets examine it....

-

PANDORA - DC's newest version of Pariah & Harbringer.

At the end of Flashpoint , this cosmic character named Pandora seemingly appears to Barry Allen and proclaims that he has to combine the 3 time streams into ONE unifying time stream. As pictured you see the Wildstorm , Vertigo and DC Universe. All 3 were supposed to be combined and a whole new single universe was to emerge. Like DC's Post Crisis on Infinite Earth's.

Pandora was supposed to be the last remaining figment who remembered the old DC Universe and how there was a Wildstorm & Vertigo. Like Pariah & Harbringer she was supposed to remember this and she appeared in nearly all the titles in appearances. Those 2 characters had appeared in a few DC post Crisis books before editors decided that they needed to phase them out since the whole idea was...no one is supposed to remember Crisis. But Pandora made these appearances and hinted at something big coming...something "cosmic" it seems.

People wondered what it could be and DC seemingly decided to change their mind on Pandora. Instead of the cosmic character we met in Flashpoint , she now was someone who unleashed the 7 deadly sins on Earth back as a cave woman (how did she know about 3 time streams ?) . Doomed to walk the Earth forever til she recaptured them in the box , it suddenly appeared in a Justice League & Justice League Dark storyline. This led into the Crime Syndicate appearing from Earth 3 and it was a complete clusterf--k that really even now near 5 years later made no darn sense.

DC seemed committed to this new direction of Pandora and launched a new series and tied other characters into this direction. You had Phantom Stranger and The Question. Both characters themselves had their titles called the "Trinity of Sin" (many online coined the term the Trinity of Suck since the new origins and all sucked so bad for all 3 characters). By 2014 , DC seemed to sense that no one was buying Trinity of Sin and cancelled all 3 books. No one speaks much about them and Pandora quietly disappeared til 2016. Where she was turned to dust by Doctor Manhattan realizing everything was a lie , that the whole 7 Deadly Sins deal was not real for her.

Earth 2: Hawkman leads the new Justice Society of America.

Back in 2012 , DC decided to recreate the classic Justice Society and use magic and sorcery as a key situation on this new Earth. The writer they gave this to was James Robinson who had a long track record for solid work at DC. His 1st arc reintroduced a younger Jay Garrick who is gifted speed by a God. Allen Scott who is given a magical ring that gets its power from the Earth's green and more. The idea was that Superman , Wonder Woman and Batman had perished on this Earth and this new group of "Wonders" they were called would take up the mantles.

Robinson clearly had a direction in mind for the series and one rumor was he had wanted to recreate the Justice Society with these characters. One key character he wanted was Hawkman. So in a planned crossover with the New 52 which would happen would have the Earth 2 characters encounter this Earth. Hawkman would meet the Hawkgirl of that world and decide to go to that Earth and become the teams leader.

Before he could do this however Robinson had issues with DC and quit the series after the 15th issue. The next 17 issues was some of the worst grim and gritty pieces of crap work that various writers turned in. Earth 2 became so damaged by the whole World's End arc , DC unwisely geared it around that and destroyed the concept completely. Earth 2 disappeared a couple years ago after Convergence and new title that didn't last. As people have said , this was a concept that would have worked but DC ruined it within a year and half.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Catwoman being Russian

The Daemonite invasion, it was teased in many DC titles including freaking Superman and wasn't as big as they were promising (apparently the whole thing was resolved in the Grifter ongoing).

Also wasn't Vertigo part of DC before Flashpoint, i'm pretty sure that Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Constantine were part of DC already.

Astonishing Member

Some of the ones I was thinking of

1) The dropped point of who the Trinity of Sin Question was. Especially as it would've been perfect for him to be revealed to be Rorschach. All we knew about him was he was a red haired man whose actions led his world/time to be on the brink of destruction but his clothing made it clear he wasn't from the past like Judas and Pandora were.

2) The previous Titans teams existing which wasn't canon anymore but Red Robin and Flamebird both talked about the existence of prior teams.

3) Red Hood and the Outlaws mentioned a Titan who was never addressed again that was named Dustin.

4) The Teen Titans comic opened with a scene showing Miss Martian and she never appeared since then again until her recent announcement in returning in Titans.

5) Legion of Super-Heroes and Legion Lost were both clearly meant to have been the Pre-Flashpoint Legion. LOSH's first issue even explicitly mentioning the changes of the past and the Flashpoint barrier protected them from being altered. The last issue however suddenly said they were apparently the Legion of the Earth-2 book making that first issues statement nonsense.

6) Earth 2' Channel 2 backup showed a version of the Ma Hunkel Red Tornado around the same time Robinson left and nearly the same time RedTornado (Lois) was formally introduced. Making a mess that was never addressed as the Hunkel version was never seen again.

7) Earth 2 also showed in Future's End that the Terry Sloane of E-2 was NOT from E-2. I like to think he was actually Ozymandias as he fits him to a T in almost every respect.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Also wasn't Vertigo part of DC before Flashpoint, i'm pretty sure that Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Constantine were part of DC already.
    They were but it was more a meta reference to the way Vertigo related characters are generally separate from the normal DCU. And they were more integrated after the 52 started.

The cover of Justice League International #1 initially showed a woman with long black hair in a black outfit, in the advertising.

It’s was speculation of being Donna Troy, Gypsy, Huntress ... or some Greek woman from Flashpoint.

By the time the comic came out ... it was blonde Godiva.

That comic was all kinds of a mess. Didn’t know if JLI had ever existed or not previously or not. I don’t think the writers even knew.

That was the third volume of JLI. And yeah, plans definitely changed. First there was the black clad woman you mention, who I agree does resemble Donna. Then she was removed, and then Godiva was added.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Pandora and JLI 'missing woman' were the first two signs of trouble with New52.
    And then there was the Teen Titans history.
    And the missing Leaguers.
    And Liefeld.

IIRC, Pandora was drawn into the first issues on a whim. One person did it, and then they thought 'oooh' and added her into a background scene of all the first issues as a way of connecting New52 with Flashpoint.
    Then they didn't know what to do with her.

JLI obviously was supposed to have been a post-Brightest Day series spinning out of Generation Lost. And it was changed at the last minute to become a New52 launch title, removing the woman that was previously on the cover after it was solicited.
    Swamp Thing was another obvious post-Brightest Day series that was repurposed for New52.

The Teen Titans history was still being figured out and a few comments by characters about past events made there way into the first issues, only to be edited out of the trade paperbacks once they decided that there hadn't been a prior Titans team.

There was a promo image of the League that included Firestorm, Element Woman and another woman (Lady Luck, or something like that, IIRC) and plans changed.

Of course, there's also the whole work of Rob Liefeld, which included appearances by Lobo and the Omega Men, that was quickly scuttled when a new Lobo and a new Omega Men were brought out.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-22-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Man, I wish I knew some of the shenanigans happening during the transition, but of course, new readers won't know about what happened before the first issue actually came out.

I stopped reading one by one when I realized some plot points don't match though. The first one was when the Justice League said they don't know each other's lives outside of the League even after working together for five years, even though Nightwing filled in for Batman during that time frame, while Action Comics had Batman and Superman revealed each other secret identities and personal life to the League in the same publication month. That was the second story arc.

I don't have dropped story arc I find funny, because all of them are annoying. I was really interested in Trinity of Sin concept coz it sounds cool at first.

Johns had no idea where he was going with the Trinity of Sin or Pandora. Not the first time he's just randomly thrown a concept out there with no pre planned endgame.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What's the first time?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The Daemonite invasion, it was teased in many DC titles including freaking Superman and wasn't as big as they were promising (apparently the whole thing was resolved in the Grifter ongoing).
    Yeah, this was something that was pushed more than once during the New52 Superman run only to fizzle out completely. I seem to recall that Blackfire was even teased during one issue.

I highly doubt that we've missed out on one of DC's 'greatest ever events' though by this not occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Yeah, this was something that was pushed more than once during the New52 Superman run only to fizzle out completely. I seem to recall that Blackfire was even teased during one issue.

I highly doubt that we've missed out on one of DC's 'greatest ever events' though by this not occurring.
    I'm sure that it would been an OWAW kind of event, i wasn't exactly dying to see what Hellspont would bring with him, i just think that it make all the Wildstorm kind of pointless in the wider DCU, i'm not their fan, but it just felt like a dick move to those who are.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I'm sure that it would been an OWAW kind of event, i wasn't exactly dying to see what Hellspont would bring with him, i just think that it make all the Wildstorm kind of pointless in the wider DCU, i'm not their fan, but it just felt like a dick move to those who are.
    Yeah, it did seem odd to combine the three realities the way they did, do so much groundwork in setting up a potential Daemonite invasion, and then abandon it completely.

Then there was the oddity below. This panel from the same, Scott Lobdell penned era of New52 Superman. Remember this page?:

A strange, crystalline door hanging in orbital space, detected by Shay Veritas and investigated by Superman also. What the hell was all that about?