Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How do you feel about Mala?

I wonder why can't Mala have been a somewhat recurring comic in the wonder Woman myths? Is it because then they would have to explain Amazons having children? I think it would be great if Diana had a child her own age.

I thought she'd be a great enemy for WW. Sure Faora has done that role in recent comics, but if they brought Mala into the comics it'd be neat.

Oh wait, this isn't the Kryptonian named Mala. Actually if I had to guess the writers think it's confusing having several characters named that... one of which is a guy. Yeah there's more than one Kryptonian named Mala. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Mala

I didn't know there were other Mala's. All I know is the Mala from Kryptonian and Diana's best friend Mala

I think Wonder Woman needs someone in the Man's World cast, who connects her to the Amazons and Paradise Island. I think Mala, being her best friend and an Amazon, is this character. No matter what's going on in the comic and no matter how much or little we see of Paradise Island, ..Diana would always have another Amazon to interact with. We don't need every issue to be Clash Of The Titans, to keep Diana connected to her Amazon background, and Mala could be useful, in this way. Furthermore, I can only imagine the comedic potential of Mala, the optimistic, peace-loving scientist, interacting with battle-ready wildwoman, Etta Candy; I think they would be great, together.

How important is she? Look at the last THREE runs, with no Paradise Island, and you see how important this kind of character is. Had Mala been there, the WW comic wouldn't have felt so disconnected from the Amazons and her myth-inspired origins.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-22-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The best way is to have Mala connected to the island but still outside of the island. If that makes sense. In golden age she was the head doctor on transformation island. When Diana needs to have some of her more powerful villains she can call Mala and she the Venus girdles. This would stop them from harming anyone .

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The best way is to have Mala connected to the island but still outside of the island. If that makes sense. In golden age she was the head doctor on transformation island. When Diana needs to have some of her more powerful villains she can call Mala and she the Venus girdles. This would stop them from harming anyone .
    In addition to occasionally accompanying Diana on her far-off adventures, Mala could be more. She and Ferdinand could be her sparring partners. She could be Diana's 'Alfred', holding down communications at the Brownstone, when Etta, Steve and Ferdinand are in the field, ..and Diana is tangling with Atomia in the streets of Georgetown.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I definitely think we need a host of named Amazons to have characterization and get built up over time. Whether on Themyscira or following Diana to Patriarch's World. Alongside Phillipus, Mala is as good as any other Amazon to me. (I never read the stories where she appeared, so I have no take on her character.)

This was something Perez and Jimenez tried to accomplish (and Simone to a degree, but The Circle were more adversaries than allies) and it would certainly add some life to paradise, as it were.

I wonder Mala was once one of the many children on the island and grew up with Diana. Would it be wrong to say some amazons did have children ? That even if it’s not have they did have children like in the golden age but maybe a few shipwrecks has the amazons adopting or maybe the Gods gave them these children .

I'm definitely more in favor of Diana being the only child of Themyscira myself. I like the "mythic" quality, uniqueness of her experience on the island, and sense of destiny it adds to her origin. (Well, at least it did when it was the clay origin.)

It gives a little bit of otherness and a compelling Bildungsroman, compared to the other Amazons.

Granted, that said, I'm still a proponent of having Diana save Donna when she's a girl or tween and have her raised on the island as well. So, take my preference with a grain of salt. Haha...

She's the OG Amazon. Revive her and bring her back to the WW mythos #BringMalaBack

I wouldn't say it's wrong to have Diana being one of many (or several) kids on Themyscira, as long as some sensible explanation can be provided, and the social consequences are at least handled or papered over in some way. One way to handle it could be to have several Amazons being pregnant after their slavery, with their daughters being born on Themyscira. Diana could then be formed from clay and given life relatively soon after the birth of the last child on the island.

That would potentially give three main groups of Amazons: the original created ones, the ones born in Man's World, and those born on Themyscira. The gods might also have forbidden the Amazons that arrived at Themyscira from ever leaving the island, meaning that only the youngest and most inexperienced Amazons were allowed to leave the island. In many ways, I think I like that take on the Amazons.

Given that Mala was the very first Amazon introduced in the comics together with Diana, and was the last remaining contestant too, I think her spot in the Wonder Woman mythos ought to be respected. I can see her as Diana's best friend and possibly first lover. I can also see abandoning one lover could be cause issues for Diana's later attempts to form romantic relations.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like her. She is the only Amazon besides Hippolyta and (to a much lesser extent) Althea that stood out and made recurring appearances in the Golden Age. I'm glad Morrison used her in Earth One even if I'm not too wild about her characterization, and hope she softens up in the next few volumes. I'd like her to make an appearance in Rebirth. I kind of wish Rucka had named Sofia (one of the top three Amazons in the Contest, after Diana and Io) Mala instead, as she came in second place in the original stories and it would have been a perfect opportunity to restore her status in the mythos.

A possible course correction they could have taken in the New 52 would have been to introduce her as one of Diana's childhood friends who didn't bully her like Aleka and some of the others. She'd be an obvious choice to bring in and flesh out the Amazons and present more sympathetic ones. Instead, we got Donna...

I wonder what if instead of the Amazons being reborn women why not have the souls be reborn has children? That if an Amazon wants a child she will pray a baby or babies will be put in her womb. Maybe inside the temple an amazon goes to has a crib and the child appears there.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I wouldn't say it's wrong to have Diana being one of many (or several) kids on Themyscira, as long as some sensible explanation can be provided, and the social consequences are at least handled or papered over in some way. One way to handle it could be to have several Amazons being pregnant after their slavery, with their daughters being born on Themyscira. Diana could then be formed from clay and given life relatively soon after the birth of the last child on the island.

That would potentially give three main groups of Amazons: the original created ones, the ones born in Man's World, and those born on Themyscira. The gods might also have forbidden the Amazons that arrived at Themyscira from ever leaving the island, meaning that only the youngest and most inexperienced Amazons were allowed to leave the island. In many ways, I think I like that take on the Amazons.

Given that Mala was the very first Amazon introduced in the comics together with Diana, and was the last remaining contestant too, I think her spot in the Wonder Woman mythos ought to be respected. I can see her as Diana's best friend and possibly first lover. I can also see abandoning one lover could be cause issues for Diana's later attempts to form romantic relations.
    What if using new 52 there were amazons who did do the sex raids? But none of the other amazons knew

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I like her. She is the only Amazon besides Hippolyta and (to a much lesser extent) Althea that stood out and made recurring appearances in the Golden Age. I'm glad Morrison used her in Earth One even if I'm not too wild about her characterization, and hope she softens up in the next few volumes. I'd like her to make an appearance in Rebirth. I kind of wish Rucka had named Sofia (one of the top three Amazons in the Contest, after Diana and Io) Mala instead, as she came in second place in the original stories and it would have been a perfect opportunity to restore her status in the mythos.

A possible course correction they could have taken in the New 52 would have been to introduce her as one of Diana's childhood friends who didn't bully her like Aleka and some of the others. She'd be an obvious choice to bring in and flesh out the Amazons and present more sympathetic ones. Instead, we got Donna...
    Would you ever want to see Aleka and the others? This makes me think to be honest that Aleka much like Artemis should be related to Orana
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-24-2018 at 08:21 AM.

I'm not fond of DC having an Amazon name Artemis because there's a goddess named that in mythology.... then again there's also a goddess Diana, so....

No matter where Diana goes...where she lives, I think the WW comic should have something in the story, besides her, that points back to Paradise Island. As there are plenty of other interesting Amazons - Paula, Nubia, Io, Pythia, Thinka, Etcetera - to be Themyscira's scientist or resident brain, waiting to advise Diana in one direction or the other, ..we don't need Mala for that.

If there was a weekly TV show, which launched Wonder Woman's adevntures from a skyscraper in Gateway City, ..Diana, Etta, Mala, Steve and Ferdinand would be a GREAT cast! Move the story to London, DC or Virginia Shore, there's everything here to represent every aspect of Wonder Woman's mythos and to tell GREAT stories! If you adapted it to a three-panel newspaper cartoon strip or a feature film, it would still be a cast, with which you can tell a wide variety of stories with, ..and I think Mala or a similar sunny, upbeat, terminally optimistic character is the key.

There's another role for her to play. With Diana playing the level-headed leading lady, and Etta playing the brash, wise-cracking, gung-ho sidekick, I think Mala's sunny optimism and scientific skill balances the dramedy factor. This comic, too often, alternately takes itself too seriously or goes too dark, and I think Mala could be the antidote for both.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-25-2018 at 05:58 PM.