Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What should Mala's design look like?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-25-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What should Mala's design look like?
    Mala's a tall, athletic, Nordic blonde, who probably looks good in just about ANY-thing. When she's not on the battlefield, with Diana, Etta, Steve and Ferdinand, I imagine her in front of a computer, at Diana's townhouse, ..in modern, Western clothes. Don't really see her in a uniform, that much.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

One thing I wonder if she is on transformation island should there be other people
    In there besides Diane rogue gallery?

That's been done several times. It seems like something best done as part of a story arc. Like when Circe got temporarily imprisoned there.

I have always been curious we have never seen Mala's mother or moms. I know it probably shouldn't matter but what role should Mala's mom do on Paradise Island.

What category of Amazon is Mala? Is she a human blessed by the gods? Daughter of a human "blessed" by Ares?

She was in Golden Age so she was a daughter or Aphrodite

Mala is growing on me based on some of Mel's arguments for Diana having an Amazon companion in Patriarch's World.

I find the Amazons interesting in that Diana (in my mind anyway) was the only child of the Amazons. So, she was brought up and benefited by tons of mother and auntie figures while a child and teen, which turns into sisterhood as she grew older and matured into an adult. Also, the idea of her being royalty and Hippolyta's daughter also adds a little intrigue, depending on how the Amazons consider their monarchy and ruler(s). There's a lot of interesting stuff to dig into there character-wise too, with the Amazons who befriended her over time and had a closer relationship with her and her upbringing compared to those who might have been more distant from her. Fun dynamics to play with.

Anyway, back to Mala... I've been thinking of her as someone who's been close to Diana all her life as a royal attendant, which grew into friendship over time. Now that/when Diana and the Amazons make contact with Patriarch's World, Mala is an Amazon sent along with Diana as part of royal protocol. Something Diana thinks may be unnecessary for a variety of reasons, but Hippolyta insists upon it, making for a little bit of friendly tension in their relationship.

Of course, we need the Amazons to be engaging Man's World again for this to work, but it's what I've been considering for Mala lately as I build out Diana's world and supporting characters.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 06-19-2018 at 12:16 PM.

I always thought the way Diana was born should be special but some amazons did have children it's just not many do have children. Much like Donna couldn't Mala be adopted too? I think it's important that Diana has at least one other child in her childhood. But I do like how most writers have handled Diana being the only child

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I always thought the way Diana was born should be special but some amazons did have children it's just not many do have children. Much like Donna couldn't Mala be adopted too? I think it's important that Diana has at least one other child in her childhood. But I do like how most writers have handled Diana being the only child
    Yeah, I've seen you mention this often and that you'd enjoy the idea of the children of the Amazons.

For me, I like how being the only kid makes her different from and unique to her sisters in significant way. (And part of the reason I find Jason "messy" as retcon even though he wasn't raised on the island.) To me, it's a bit like her version of being an orphan (Batman) or the last of his kind (Superman.) She has a unique POV. I really like how Rucka handled it in his first run, where she was delighted and intrigued by children because she was never around any growing up and kind of had no concept of "childhood." I thought his thinking through all of that about her was an interesting wrinkle in her character, especially since some writers write her interactions with everyone as being similar.

What thematically or story-wise or symbolically do you like or want to portray with the Amazons having more children than just Diana? I'm curious to know your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think Wonder Woman needs someone in the Man's World cast, who connects her to the Amazons and Paradise Island. I think Mala, being her best friend and an Amazon, is this character.
    In the Golden Age, that would have been Paula. Marston had Paula move to Paradise Island, rehabilitate, join the Amazon sisterhood, and run a hidden lab in Man's World so that she could help Diana from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I definitely think we need a host of named Amazons to have characterization and get built up over time. Whether on Themyscira or following Diana to Patriarch's World. Alongside Phillipus, Mala is as good as any other Amazon to me. (I never read the stories where she appeared, so I have no take on her character.)

This was something Perez and Jimenez tried to accomplish (and Simone to a degree, but The Circle were more adversaries than allies) and it would certainly add some life to paradise, as it were.
    Agreed. We need more named Amazons with their own personalities. So many are introduced and never heard of again. We should know them as well as Thor fans know residents of Asgard.

The last time I remember Mala appearing was in the first Artemis storyline. I'd like to see more of her.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Yeah, I've seen you mention this often and that you'd enjoy the idea of the children of the Amazons.

For me, I like how being the only kid makes her different from and unique to her sisters in significant way. (And part of the reason I find Jason "messy" as retcon even though he wasn't raised on the island.) To me, it's a bit like her version of being an orphan (Batman) or the last of his kind (Superman.) She has a unique POV. I really like how Rucka handled it in his first run, where she was delighted and intrigued by children because she was never around any growing up and kind of had no concept of "childhood." I thought his thinking through all of that about her was an interesting wrinkle in her character, especially since some writers write her interactions with everyone as being similar.

What thematically or story-wise or symbolically do you like or want to portray with the Amazons having more children than just Diana? I'm curious to know your thoughts.

I hope I haven't been annoying you. Well for me the Amazons having children symbolizes them starting over. That these children aren't made from clay rather Artemis returning the souls of their dead children to them. Hippolyta however, is the last one to get Diana. Which she sculpts from clay. I know, I know I have been repeating myself but the sex pirates and the Banas for me would work better together. That before Diana was born the Banas didn't part ways but rather lived on the Island and steal any sons form being born and simply part them on a near by Island where choosen Amazons would give birth to them and raised them to obey them.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-19-2018 at 02:05 PM.

I think of Mala as Diana's best friend on Paradise island. She could accompany Diana to the outside world. She could be Diana'confident and vice-versa.

If she did go with Diana let’s make her the head of transformation island. That somewhere close to where Diana is living they made transformation island