Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Well, she does also have blond hair and looking at the history of India why not have her be mixed?
    There are people in East India and Pakistan, with dark red hair, who are not mixed race. Since Etta is no longer a redhead, maybe, an Indian-looking Mala could be a redhead.

I'm like the Golden Age look for Mala just fine, though.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-22-2018 at 09:37 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    There are people in East India and Pakistan, with dark red hair, who are not mixed race. Since Etta is no longer a redhead, maybe, an Indian-looking Mala could be a redhead.

This did happen a lot of parents would just name their children the same name. Maybe Mala is Mala jr but that would be silly

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post

Agreed. There are also other opportunities to introduce more ethnic variety among the supporting cast, preferably as new characters. Regardless of what Mala's ethnic appearance might be, I think she should always be a blonde to contrast with Diana and the other (mostly brunette) Amazons. Similarly to how in the Post-Crisis era Phillipus and Artemis provide a visual contrast with their distinct looks.

Mala makes Diana and Etta better characters, as I understand it. Mala, as an intellectual and an optimist, brings things to the cast that challenge Diana and Etta, balancing the dynamic between them. Mala, just being decidedly unlike Diana or Etta, confronts their positions, forcing them to respond to her, ..and that would be interesting.

For my money, this comic needs another female voice, who isn't Hippolyta.

When Diana is thoroughly disgusted by mankind's warmongering, selfishness and apathy, I think Diana needs a woman in her life, who understands her sense of Amazon duty enough to tell her, "Stop moping, put on the uniform and do the job, or I will!" Hippolyta can't do that, because she is telling Diana to come home and be a fairytale princess, again, and resisting the maternal, slightly over-protective temptation of Hippolyta is a very, VERY important part of Diana's on-going narrative. The comic also needs a character, who will is optimistic enough to remind Diana that she can be compassionate, when she and Etta are ready to go full-Xena on the Termite Queen! For my money, Mala is the woman for this job.

Think of Mala as the anti-Artemis, ..with Diana somewhere in between them. In a comic age that sees Wonder Woman punching and stabbing her way through every problem, Mala brings intelligence and Amazon idealism that affirms a very time-honored, important part of who Wonder Woman should always be. Mala brings light and fun to the WW comic, when everything around it is getting senselessly darker and more violent. She's fresh air, and I think she could be...

Right on time.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

This is why I like the idea that Transformation Island can go anywhere. That unlike Paradise Island anyone can step on the Island.

Putting aside that golden age Wonder Woman did establish that other Amazons were molding children from clay, Mala would bring alot to the modern day if she returned. Her big deals were
    1. That she was supposed to be the mightiest of the islands Amazons after Diana and Hippolyta
    2. It was implied back in the day that she was in a relationship with Diana
    3. She became the one in charge of Reform/Transformation island and led other Amazons in the effort to rehabilitate criminals and make them functioning members of society.

As far as I know DC doesn't currently have a figure whose effort is reforming criminals that isn't a supervillain.