Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Sexy Cass, been a long time.
    Liking what they are doing with the general, he is going full Ulysses from the Robin run. Guess we will get Tim battling against turning into an OMAC, wasnt even aware you could fight that, but its an interesting development.

Is it just me or does the RedRobin logo look a bit dopey in the preview. Maybe I just never noticed it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I didn't know the Tim Drake character before Tynion's 'Tec run, but I absolutely loathe the character now.
    He's been jacked up since New 52. I can suggest Tim's 183 issue series, it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Is it just me or does the RedRobin logo look a bit dopey in the preview. Maybe I just never noticed it before.
    They always make it sloppy. Tim's R symbol should be sharp and angled.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    He's been jacked up since New 52. I can suggest Tim's 183 issue series, it was great.

They always make it sloppy. Tim's R symbol should be sharp and angled.
    They should really go back to his old costume and logo. His old logo was so much better, the current one is a bit ugly. (No offence to anyone who likes it of course Two R's dont really do it for me)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    They should really go back to his old costume and logo. His old logo was so much better, the current one is a bit ugly. (No offence to anyone who likes it of course Two R's dont really do it for me)
    The RR looks silly. They should really go back to his logo, it was slick, had personality and could even become iconic in time.

red_robin_logo_by_mr_droy-d5opu3s.png
    Last edited by Mataza; 04-24-2018 at 06:07 PM.

So the Kane manor is clearly called "ruins" here. That means last issue it wasn't done just as an artistic choice. What happened? I guess "The Fall of the House of Kane" is literal (incidentally, spoilers:
    I'm noticing some parallels between Tim's story here and Kate's in her solo, particularly the motif of "become what you're meant to be" used for villainous ends).

I kinda liked how completely relentless the nanobots comprising the OMACs are. Mind control can be fought and beaten back, same for drugs. Nanobots completely engulfing your body? Yeah, you're not willpowering your way out of that.

At first it seems odd to have Kate so baldly state "There has to be a better way" when the topic of killing comes up (in this case, the host bodies). But that's completely in line with her new standards for the Colony. Killing the hosts isn't necessarily going to stop the bots, and anyway there are lots of unexplored avenues for how to fix this without bloodshed. It seems contradictory, but really isn't.

Steph's back! We knew that already, but it's nice to see her again. I have no idea what she and Cass are going to do to help here, but it's intriguing. Try to get in touch with Tim's humanity is the obvious thing, but if nanos can't be willpowered away, I dunno.
    end of spoilers
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

The Good:
    - Luke did something for once!...just a shame he's spent the last few issues making me hate him.
    - Good end of second act set-up for the third act.
    - Some creative visuals inside Tim's mind.
    - The Cass vs Tim stuff was fun to see.
    - Steph's appearance here is the most I've liked her in awhile.

The Bad:

- I still could not care less about what's going on with Tim. As that's the main focus here, that's a big problem.
    - Ulysses isn't the series' WORST villain, that remains the Victim Syndicate, but he isn't fun or charismatic enough to make up for his lack of depth.
    - "There has to be a better way" Go to Hell, Kate. (I'm sorry Caivu! Tynion just keeps making her awful! )

The Cass:

- I liked that she's been checking on Steph on this whole time.
    - We REALLY didn't get a parallel between Tim's situation and Basil's? Such an obvious thing to do to get some depth out of this story? Okay...

Two issues to go and unless they disappoint me more than they bring me the joy I'm hoping for, it's safe to say at this point that I think isn't the worst arc of the book. Far from it. Painfully average and dull at times? Oh yeah. And there are still things which have been frustrating me. But compared to the previous two arcs, this is B+ material.
    Last edited by Assam; 04-25-2018 at 06:11 AM.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Just read the issue.A bit predictable.
    Pax Batmana...ok, I'm ready for Tynion to be done now.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    So the Kane manor is clearly called "ruins" here. That means last issue it wasn't done just as an artistic choice. What happened? I guess "The Fall of the House of Kane" is literal (incidentally, spoilers:
    I'm noticing some parallels between Tim's story here and Kate's in her solo, particularly the motif of "become what you're meant to be" used for villainous ends).

I kinda liked how completely relentless the nanobots comprising the OMACs are. Mind control can be fought and beaten back, same for drugs. Nanobots completely engulfing your body? Yeah, you're not willpowering your way out of that.

At first it seems odd to have Kate so baldly state "There has to be a better way" when the topic of killing comes up (in this case, the host bodies). But that's completely in line with her new standards for the Colony. Killing the hosts isn't necessarily going to stop the bots, and anyway there are lots of unexplored avenues for how to fix this without bloodshed. It seems contradictory, but really isn't.

Steph's back! We knew that already, but it's nice to see her again. I have no idea what she and Cass are going to do to help here, but it's intriguing. Try to get in touch with Tim's humanity is the obvious thing, but if nanos can't be willpowered away, I dunno.
    end of spoilers
    I'm also a bit puzzled about what Steph can do. We know that Tynion Steph has pretty comparable technical skills to Tim, so maybe there's an element of that. But since Tim is still an unwilling tool of the General, I don't know that Tim's love for Steph would be an effective counter - it's not like he doesn't love Bruce and Cass, and he was fighting for them in this issue.

But I'm NOT complaining that Steph is back. Drinking grape soda pop! The purple, it is strong with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    - I liked that she's been checking on Steph on this whole time.
    - We REALLY didn't get a parallel between Tim's situation and Basil's? Such an obvious thing to do to get some depth out of this story? Okay...

Two issues to go and unless they disappoint me more than they bring me the joy I'm hoping for, it's safe to say at this point that I think isn't the worst arc of the book. Far from it. Painfully average and dull at times? Oh yeah. And there are still things which have been frustrating me. But compared to the previous two arcs, this is B+ material.
    I liked that note that Cass is checking up on Steph, too. I do hope that Steph isn't this cranky the whole time (and that she's in 981 as well as 980).

I'm surprised about the lack of parallel, too. I'm still hoping, though.

Next issue is both my most anticipated, and most dreaded. Artists really make a difference with Tynion, and Scot Eaton did large chunks of the pencils for the final issue of Batman and Robin Eternal, with pretty disappointing results. I just don't like his faces, layouts, or figure work. It's not BAD - there's definitely worse - but he's not even as good as Briones. Why couldn't they have gotten Carnero or Carlini?

I really hope that the promise of Barrows for the final issue is real, though. That would be really nice, to have Barrows doing first and last issues of this run.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

- "There has to be a better way" Go to Hell, Kate. (I'm sorry Caivu! Tynion just keeps making her awful! )
    Nah, you just just decided not to like her for whatever reason.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Nah, you just just decided not to like her for whatever reason.
    You really don't see ANY hypocrisy in that line?

You really don't see ANY hypocrisy in that line?
    No. She clarified in #976 that she (and by extension, the Colony under her leadership) would only be using lethal force as a last resort. So far, they haven't actually stopped any of the drones for good, so there could be any number of ways to take them out safely.

This had me cracking up in my shop. He could hear it in his voice how much he needed him. LoL Ya, sure...

I think this issue is better if your a massive fan of Tim. Cause I dont really mind what happens to him - I dont find the issue or this arc as exciting as I have for other issues or arcs which focused on other characters. Still got my fingers crossed for a Cass adoption before Tynion leaves, heck Bruce could adopt Steph too - that would be a weird twist. Might not go down well with people who know the characters alot more than me though . Hopefully next issue I will like more! I have faith in my man Tynion!

This run started out good, but fell flat around Shiva arc, and was mediocre eversince. Good riddance.