Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Default If You Wrote Comics: Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Mockingbird

Hello and welcome to another If You Wrote Comics thread. And this time we are not going to talk about one subject we are going to talk about three. Yes just imagine if Marvel gave you full control over Black Widow, Hawkeye (Clint Barton), and Mockingbird. And don't think I did this to form some sort of harem for Clint no I did this because I in all honesty doubted as individuals they could sustain interest in the thread and aside from Hawkeye they lack their own personal supporting characters and enemies. So be free to do anything you want to them whether it's trying to give Black Widow and Mockingbird some supporting characters and enemies to help them hold up their own solo titles and finding new directions for their characters or trying to to see what more could be done to Hawkeye's own supporting cast and enemies as well as find Clint's character a new direction. Or maybe put all three in a special title. And just so we're clear even Kate Bishop due to being one of the few Young Avengers characters with a direct link and relationship to the hero they model themselves after she is included too.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-23-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

A Black Widow/Hawkeye team-up book is the only book I want from Marvel right now! I love their history, and their dynamic so much, and think it would be fun to see them finding ways to work with their moral differences to get the job done. It would have so much potential for comedy, drama, action, and lots of feels.

As for a specific story to start with, it forever haunts me that we never got a follow up from the widow marker plot from Avengers Assemble #12/13. Why does Clint have one? It would be a good set up for why they'd be working alone together in the first place, and maybe they discover something bigger they need to follow up on, or just that they work well together and keep doing so. Could also have a rotating cast of guest stars like Kate, Maria, etc. I would read the hell out of this.

I did develop some interest in Red Widow and i woudl be intersted in trying to try and cultivate a relationship between Natasha and her and I wouldn't mind either have Yelena be a part of it.

Bring back Black Widow and have her continue her relationship with Bucky. Retcon the trash from Cain's Mockingbird run so she isn't a murderous adulteress and have her remarry Clint. Put Clint back in the classic costume and act like the wiseass that he is rather than the loser Fraction and Thompson made him.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Bring back Black Widow and have her continue her relationship with Bucky. Retcon the trash from Cain's Mockingbird run so she isn't a murderous adulteress and have her remarry Clint. Put Clint back in the classic costume and act like the wiseass that he is rather than the loser Fraction and Thompson made him.
    ANd let me guess retcon Kate Bishop out of existence, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    ANd let me guess retcon Kate Bishop out of existence, right?
    Nah. Not necessary. She can exist without constantly upstaging and emasculating Clint as she does now.

Nah. Not necessary. She can exist without constantly upstaging and emasculating Clint as she does now.
    I thought you would considering hwo you don't like most legacy characters. She should just be the Robin to Clint's Batman.

I thought you would considering hwo you don't like most legacy characters. She should just be the Robin to Clint's Batman.
    Eh, she can be her own character without going all "Haha, I'm the REAL Hawkeye" all the time. I want characters like Nadia retconned because their entire existence affects the dynamic of Hank and Janet. While I'm not particularly a fan of Kate, she can adopt her own identity and not be obnoxious and not have Clint's status altered.

Eh, she can be her own character without going all "Haha, I'm the REAL Hawkeye" all the time. I want characters like Nadia retconned because their entire existence affects the dynamic of Hank and Janet. While I'm not particularly a fan of Kate, she can adopt her own identity and not be obnoxious and not have Clint's status altered.
    That's really a problem isn't it? Well what name should Kate even have? Also how does Nadia upset the dynamic between hank and Janet? Everything had gone straight into a trash fire when writer deliberately ignored the fact Hank and Janet were getting along again.

That's really a problem isn't it? Well what name should Kate even have? Also how does Nadia upset the dynamic between hank and Janet? Everything had gone straight into a trash fire when writer deliberately ignored the fact Hank and Janet were getting along again.
    I don't know. She can go by any name she wants I guess. But with Nadia, you give Hank a new Wasp with the same powers of Janet, making the latter redundant. It turns Hank into a father and makes Janet into the stepmother. I am generally very skeptical about suddenly giving children to long established characters because it rarely works and they tend to hog the spotlight. Franklin and Valeria, I would say, are the obvious exceptions because the FF were created as a family and Stan and Jack created Franklin. But having characters randomly get introduced and revealed to be the children of established characters... It's a turn-off and more, it's a shortcut that a lot of these creators use when it comes to legacy characters. Rather than letting a character succeed on merit, you give them a moniker or familial relation to [rp[el their success where your creativity couldn't.

I don't know. She can go by any name she wants I guess. But with Nadia, you give Hank a new Wasp with the same powers of Janet, making the latter redundant. It turns Hank into a father and makes Janet into the stepmother. I am generally very skeptical about suddenly giving children to long established characters because it rarely works and they tend to hog the spotlight. Franklin and Valeria, I would say, are the obvious exceptions because the FF were created as a family and Stan and Jack created Franklin. But having characters randomly get introduced and revealed to be the children of established characters... It's a turn-off and more, it's a shortcut that a lot of these creators use when it comes to legacy characters. Rather than letting a character succeed on merit, you give them a moniker or familial relation to [rp[el their success where your creativity couldn't.
    I can seee your point but who says it's impossible for them to earn anything? There is such a thing as living up to a family reputation which was one fo the things I liked about Sly Cooper. Even though Nadia just turned up out of nowhere likewise it is possible for her to work for it.

I can seee your point but who says it's impossible for them to earn anything? There is such a thing as living up to a family reputation which was one fo the things I liked about Sly Cooper. Even though Nadia just turned up out of nowhere likewise it is possible for her to work for it.
    I suppose, but it also reduces the uniqueness of Janet and changes their roles significantly in making them parents. Plus, I really don't like Nadia's character and get annoyed that characters I think are significantly better are getting the shaft for her.

I suppose, but it also reduces the uniqueness of Janet and changes their roles significantly in making them parents. Plus, I really don't like Nadia's character and get annoyed that characters I think are significantly better are getting the shaft for her.
    Well sometimes that's the point of characters having kid it can be done to try and deliver something new it might not work for everyone though honestly. How does Nadia change anything about Janet though?

Well sometimes that's the point of characters having kid it can be done to try and deliver something new it might not work for everyone though honestly. How does Nadia change anything about Janet though?
    It takes away her uniqueness. She's not the only Wasp anymore. If/when Hank returns, no doubt she'd get the shaft in favor of Nadia more often than not. Plus, it turns both her and Hank into parental figures and saddles them with a supporting character that ages them and can never be ignored in future stories.