Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mxyzptlk vs. Darkseid

I've always loved Mxy but I haven't read many stories with him to be honest. All I know about the 5th dimension is what Morrison has written.

We can start with him vs. Darkseid but I'd also like to know where he ranks among other heavy hitters like the Anti-Moniter and the Spectre and even the powerful beings of the Marvel universe.

Mxy is more powerful than Spectre let alone DS

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I figured as much. How does he stack up against the others I mentioned?

Astonishing Member

Mxy can warp reality on a whim, defying the laws of physics and magic like they aren't even there. Should the mood take him, he could easily turn Darkseid into an action figure and Apokalips into a bouncy ball. The only thing in his way is if Darkseid or another Apocaliptian tricks him into saying his name backwards. As various media has shown us, it's not just saying it out loud that will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I figured as much. How does he stack up against the others I mentioned?
    Pretty well. He's more powerful than the most powerful version of Anti Monitor as well

....really??

I always assumed Spectre would be the victor. I thought he literally tore open a hole to the 5th Dimension and went hunting an Imp before to exact Justice. And he turned that Genie/Imp dude into a pen that one time in DoV.

Before the reboot, this forum had a pretty long thread between the two where Spectre was given winning odds iirc. Ill admit I didn't really participate in it however, so ill let more knowledgeable minds decide.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Well, there was the confrontation they had in World's Funnest...

It's not really canon though. For one thing, Bat-mite and Mr. Mxyzptlk kinda destroy the entire multiverse...

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Mxy can warp reality on a whim, defying the laws of physics and magic like they aren't even there. Should the mood take him, he could easily turn Darkseid into an action figure and Apokalips into a bouncy ball. The only thing in his way is if Darkseid or another Apocaliptian tricks him into saying his name backwards. As various media has shown us, it's not just saying it out loud that will do the trick.
    Saying his name backwards only works when he allows it. For instance when he is playing a game with Superman. In one comic, Superman says his name backwards and Mxy ignores it and says I'm not playing that game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    ....really??

I always assumed Spectre would be the victor. I thought he literally tore open a hole to the 5th Dimension and went hunting an Imp before to exact Justice. And he turned that Genie/Imp dude into a pen that one time in DoV.

Before the reboot, this forum had a pretty long thread between the two where Spectre was given winning odds iirc. Ill admit I didn't really participate in it however, so ill let more knowledgeable minds decide.
    There was one time when a fifth dimensional villain with the same powers as Mxy had trapped the Spectre by growing an entire world around him. The trick is, if anyone were to bust him out, or if Spectre escaped, he would be dooming the sentient species on that world. IIRC, Alan Scott and Zauriel decided to speed up time on that world so that its people could evolve, grow, civilize, and burn out on their own accord, allowing the world to die naturally (from their perspective, everything would be normal), allowing Spectre to break free.

It shows ingenuity of a fifth dimensional trickster with reality warping powers, but of course, it also takes advantage of Spectre's character and that comics generally prevent killing and bloodlust unlike Rumbles. In a Rumble, such a tactic wouldn't work. Still though, it's a pretty impressive and creative feat for anyone to pull on the Spectre.

Though, Joker with Mxy's powers took over the Spectre's body the same way that Thanos with the IG became Eternity, and he also destroyed and reformed the universe.

Incredible Member

Mxy is on the same order of power as Pre Retcon Beyonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    There was one time when a fifth dimensional villain with the same powers as Mxy had trapped the Spectre by growing an entire world around him. The trick is, if anyone were to bust him out, or if Spectre escaped, he would be dooming the sentient species on that world. IIRC, Alan Scott and Zauriel decided to speed up time on that world so that its people could evolve, grow, civilize, and burn out on their own accord, allowing the world to die naturally (from their perspective, everything would be normal), allowing Spectre to break free.

It shows ingenuity of a fifth dimensional trickster with reality warping powers, but of course, it also takes advantage of Spectre's character and that comics generally prevent killing and bloodlust unlike Rumbles. In a Rumble, such a tactic wouldn't work. Still though, it's a pretty impressive and creative feat for anyone to pull on the Spectre.

Though, Joker with Mxy's powers took over the Spectre's body the same way that Thanos with the IG became Eternity, and he also destroyed and reformed the universe.
    That was the same imp whose more powerful version Spectre effed up royally in Day of Vengeance

That was the same imp whose more powerful version Spectre effed up royally in Day of Vengeance
    Heroes always do better in Round 2. Not denying that part.

But even being able to hang with the Spectre the first time around already means one is obscenely powerful compared to most others.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    ....really??

Spectre didn't tear up the fifth dimension. He released Qwisp (from Morrisons JLA) by hurtling Thunderbolt through the Fifth Dimension. Qwisp was the one who did up the Fifth Dimension (and the sixth and whatnot)

The same story also established not all imps are created equal. And now that Mxys whole career is canon again this includes

- Pre crisis, where he destroyed the Phantom Zone
    - Post crisis, Emperor Joker and the aftermath where Joker created multiple realities with 1% of Mxys power
    - New 52, where Mxy pulled out a universe from a hat

So basically, for all that he has very few appearances and even fewer where he is not used for comedy relief, Mxy tends to operate on a higher level generally than the Spectre

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Heroes always do better in Round 2. Not denying that part.

But even being able to hang with the Spectre the first time around already means one is obscenely powerful compared to most others.
    Ehh they didn't hang with the Spectre the first time. They used a surprise attack to put him in a compromising situation which he couldn't get out of not because be wasn't powerful enough but because of his morality

Ehh they didn't hang with the Spectre the first time. They used a surprise attack to put him in a compromising situation which he couldn't get out of not because be wasn't powerful enough but because of his morality
    ...which is what I said above.

No offense, but I feel like every time I agree with you, you still have to repeat points I've already made in an attempt to argue. C'mon now. This ain't fun.

I feel like I could agree with you that a sandwich tastes good and, somehow, some way, that would trigger you to counter my support of the sandwich, even if we're both enjoying it at the same time.
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-24-2018 at 10:02 AM.