Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I read the reactions and I say it's come to point where we must admit it the MCU can do no wrong.
    I broke free of Disney's spell a long time ago. These movies age like milk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I broke free of Disney's spell a long time ago. These movies age like milk.
    You mean well past the expiration date most unknowing people throw it out, if you keep it cold enough?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Weird, the embargo in South Africa only lifts Wednesday midday. I might post some thoughts about it tomorrow but I will definitely have a spoiler-free review up by Friday.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Critical embargo has been lifted. We have a winner here. Right now it has 89% on Rotten Tomatoes after 63 reviews counted. At Metacritic its 69 after 35 reviews.

Now Rotten Tomatoes will have more then 300 reviews. Last time i checked, The Last Jedi has 371 reviewers. And Metacritic will have upto 50 reviews i think. Those who remember 'The Avengers', the very first one had 69 after finally 43 reviews in Metacritic.

Now i am not reading the revirws. But i will keep my eyes on the score.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Critical embargo has been lifted. We have a winner here. Right now it has 89% on Rotten Tomatoes after 63 reviews counted. At Metacritic its 69 after 35 reviews.

Now Rotten Tomatoes will have more then 300 reviews. Last time i checked, The Last Jedi has 371 reviewers. And Metacritic will have upto 50 reviews i think. Those who remember 'The Avengers', the very first one had 69 after finally 43 reviews in Metacritic.

Interesting that the overriding theme of the reviews is "cliffhanger"

It's like no one remembers this was supposed to be a two part movie not too long ago

A spoiler free review. I know some people would consider even this a spoiler. Oh Thor and Rocket Raccoon are going to interact! It was in the trailers. They were on the same ship. Oh Thanos is the main character! Russos had said that before. I consider a spoiler as such when they give away actual spoilers. So, on that level its spoiler-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post

It's dropping and we all know they front load the initial review batch with sycophants, the top critic review is at 74% too. Not that Rotten Tomatoes matters anymore, The Last Jedi pretty much discredited that site.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It's dropping
    A whopping 2 percent.

Ultimate Member

It's dropping and we all know they front load the initial review batch with sycophants, the top critic review is at 74% too. Not that Rotten Tomatoes matters anymore, The Last Jedi pretty much discredited that site.
    How did TLJ discredit it?

It ONLY made 1.3 billion

Meanwhile Justice League bombed in RT and made a whopping 657 million

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It ONLY made 1.3 billion

Meanwhile Justice League bombed in RT and made a whopping 657 million
    a) What do box office numbers have anything to do with my statement? Its not even a controversial statement on my part to say The Last Jedi is an unpopular movie. Yeah, a lot of people went to see it, but because so many people went to go see it and were dissatisfied is the reason why people don't like it.
    b) Why do Marvel fans bring up the failures of JL or just the DCEU whenever they need to defend their pet franchise? Its really annoying whenever I bring up a criticism of the MCU and the response is "The DCEU sucks!" I wasn't even criticizing the film, just pointing out how RT works.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    A whopping 2 percent.
    Wonder Woman, Thor 3, Homecoming all hovered in the high 90's for weeks before resting at their current spot. Its only going to go down and it already has a lower ceiling than those films.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    How did TLJ discredit it?
    Critics made claims that TLJ was a woke masterpiece where as most normal people thinks its either okay or bad.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Critics made claims that TLJ was a woke masterpiece where as most normal people thinks its either okay or bad.
    And everyone is free to have an opinion. And i don't see how a 90% RT is necessary to be called a masterpiece, if that is what you are implying. If people think so they don't understand how RT works. Its simply the percentage of critics who thought it was good or more then that. But it has become a part of the audiences' cinema going experience. That's because it works. Broadly speaking, critics and audience opinions match more often then not. We only notice it when it doesn't. Especially, when it does not match our own. They have a good time when most critics say its at least good. Critics are also people like us. They simply watch a whole ton of movies more then the general audience.

I hate to bring up DCEU, but that's the most ready made example. Wonder Woman did spectacular at the BO. And BvS wouldn't have earned that much if it did not open so well. 434 million of 873 million worldwide was earned in the first weekend. Everyone was at least curious to watch Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman for the first time.

On the other hand, Suicide Squad did really well. There is no exact science here. It never is when we talk about art.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yes, its interesting. I hope its at least a complete film. If its like a 'To Be Continued' i think we can be really disappointed. Something like Empire Strikes Back or the first two Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter an The Half Blood Prince is okay. They are their own films while the story has not ended. If its literally like a to be continued it can be really unsatisfying. As we would have to wait another year.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-24-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Ultimate Member

a) What do box office numbers have anything to do with my statement? Its not even a controversial statement on my part to say The Last Jedi is an unpopular movie. Yeah, a lot of people went to see it, but because so many people went to go see it and were dissatisfied is the reason why people don't like it.
    b) Why do Marvel fans bring up the failures of JL or just the DCEU whenever they need to defend their pet franchise? Its really annoying whenever I bring up a criticism of the MCU and the response is "The DCEU sucks!" I wasn't even criticizing the film, just pointing out how RT works.

Wonder Woman, Thor 3, Homecoming all hovered in the high 90's for weeks before resting at their current spot. Its only going to go down and it already has a lower ceiling than those films.

That doesn’t discredit RT. It only shows the divide between critics and audiences.

That being said, the reason the DCEU keeps getting brought up is because there does seem to be desperate efforts by anti-Marvel/Disney guys to attack their movies. And some of these guys identity themselves as salty DC fans. Even on these forums, we have folks that pre-emptively criticize every single Marvel movie for “reasons”.

Personally, I think it’s pathetic that people get upset at other people’s success because what they don’t like is successful. I absolutely hate The Last Jedi and what Disney is doing with Star Wars but to go about trolling websites and/or trying to denigrate the movie’s success is pathetic.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-24-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yep or that this feels like a part 1. Wonder if the Russo's were messing with us or just didn't see it the way some of the reviewers did? Once I saw Clifhanger in spoiler free review I decided to stop reading any. Though I'll probably check out he double toasted review before I see it. They are usually really good about spoilers.