Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Claw of Justice!

Default What Mignolaverse books are you (re)reading?

This thread is for discussing any past Mignolaverse books that don't have their own threads, whether you're rereading them or reading them for the first time.

I'm slowly rereading the Hellboy Universe, and right now I'm concentrating on Witchfinder. For some reason I recall thinking In the Service of Angels was only OK in the past, but I thought it was fantastic upon reread, perhaps even one of my favorite Mignolaverse stories. I particularly liked the characters Sir Edward becomes allied with. spoilers:
    I wonder if we'll ever see the Captain's friend Mr Bacon again, as he survived.
    end of spoilers

Yesterday I also finished Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism. I love the Baltimore and Joe Golem novels, but somehow I hadn't read this one until now. Baltimore is still my favorite of the 3 novels, but I'd put this on par with Joe Golem. Great story and some awesome Mignola puppet illustrations, what more could I ask for? The hardcover is a beautiful book too, it's well worth getting that edition.
    spoilers:
    I really liked that the true nature of the puppets and the caretaker who made them was never explained.

I kind of wonder if this story fits in the same world as Baltimore and Joe Golem. I'm very curious to see if the WWII era will be explored at all in future Joe Golem stories.
    end of spoilers
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

Just had Messiah arrive in the mail today. Only through the first issue so far, but I like the way it going

Almost any Mignola book I'll pick up again sooner or later, like the best of them.

I mean finding a book to read is nice, but dropping everything because I'm needing to read a specific book again - that's an awesome feeling.

Lately I've re-read the Swamp Thing 5 story "Shaggy God Stories" upon buying the Neil Gaiman Midnight Days Deluxe HC (instead of the Mignola Universe book).

I've also thoroughly enjoyed adding the "Corum Volume 1 HC" by Titan to my bookshelves. Awesome read, but I knew that already.

I'm awaiting the arrival of my Kickstarter Flesk "Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea Studio Edition" at the moment. Which is gonna be something.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I don't quite recall why, but about a week ago I got it in my head to to try to re-read the entire Mignolaverse chronologically, after having not touched the series for maybe 2 years. Since then I've become re-obsessed and have been on a frantic buying spree trying to catch up on everything I've missed, including all the omnibus editions.

My plan for a straight chronological reading kindof fell apart but I've been bouncing between Lobster Johnson and Witchfinder. The fact that two books with such radically different styles and tones - super pulpy action-hero schlock on the one hand and sulky gothic horror on the other - can not only exist in the same world but both be totally amazing and consistent - has made me remember why I'm in love with Mignola and everything he touches.
    Last edited by Waka Hem; 05-07-2018 at 07:48 PM.

I'm currently re-reading B.P.R.D. I was on a Guy Davis kick after re-reading Sandman Mystery Theatre and Marquis so I moved onto plague of Frogs and continued into Hell on Earth. I'm currently about half way through The Return of the Master.

B.P.R.D. is my favourite of the Mignolaverse titles. This is my fifth time through and I'm still picking up new things with each re-read.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Waka Hem View Post
    I don't quite recall why, but about a week ago I got it in my head to to try to re-read the entire Mignolaverse chronologically, after having not touched the series for maybe 2 years. Since then I've become re-obsessed and have been on a frantic buying spree trying to catch up on everything I've missed, including all the omnibus editions.

My plan for a straight chronological reading kindof fell apart but I've been bouncing between Lobster Johnson and Witchfinder. The fact that two books with such radically different styles and tones - super pulpy action-hero schlock on the one hand and sulky gothic horror on the other - can not only exist in the same world but both be totally amazing and consistent - has made me remember why I'm in love with Mignola and everything he touches.
    I've been rereading those two books too, before diving into BPRD and Hellboy. I'm done with Witchfinder now, and just finished Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus. I'd say In the Service of Angels is my favorite of the Witchfinder books, with Lost and Gone Forever a close second. I like Sir Edward best when Mike is writing him, I think he captures Ed's understated demeanor best.
    I wonder if Jason Armstrong, the artist on The Iron Prometheus, will ever return to the Mignolaverse. His style seems perfect for Hellboy and the BPRD or another Lobster story.
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I wonder if Jason Armstrong, the artist on The Iron Prometheus, will ever return to the Mignolaverse. His style seems perfect for Hellboy and the BPRD or another Lobster story.
    I’d hope so. The Iron Prometheus is one of my favourite Lobster books, judging the art alone. I think it’s fairly unlikely though. Doesn’t really look like the guy does a lot in comics anymore, as in it’s not his day job. That’s not to say it’s impossible. His last new comic looks to have been two years ago.

I've been re-reading my issues of Hellboy & The B.P.R.D. 1952/ 1953/ 1954/ 1955, and it's amazing how much connection I didn't realize there was between the events in each year since there were such long breaks between the different issues.
    Will be curious to see where 1956 goes (and how directly it may tie in to the adventures in Mexico that were previously published).

I've been rereading BPRD 1952-55...lots of great story gems in there that connect to things later on, and other things that make you go hmmmmm....

Recently re-read

Lobster Johnson Volume 2: The Burning Hand TPB
    (2012 / collects Lobster Johnson: The Burning Hand #1-5)
    and will probably re-read Lobster Johnson Volume 3: Satan Smells a Rat TPB in the near future.

Last night I was re-reading this one, inspired by my playing Red Dead Redemption part 2.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._QL80_TTD_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    Last night I was re-reading this one, inspired by my playing Red Dead Redemption part 2.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._QL80_TTD_.jpg

I really enjoy the Sir Edward books.

The collected edition:

Yes me too, maybe not on par with BPRD and Lobster Johnson, but jolly good stuff all the same. I love how he has tied into the larger Hellboy mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    Yes me too, maybe not on par with BPRD and Lobster Johnson, but jolly good stuff all the same. I love how he has tied into the larger Hellboy mythos.
    In some ways, I prefer Sir Edward to B.P.R.D.
    The whole "end-of-the-world-apocalypse" thing in B.P.R.D. can get a bit too overwhelming at times for me.

Yes it's epic scale can be quite overwhelming as end of the world stuff tends to be, especially with all the revelations as of lately, every issue is a high octane shocker. I love to follow up an issue of the BPRD world breaking stuff with a simple one off Hellboy tale. I've recently reread a past Christmas special. I definitely want to see more adventures of Sir Edward Grey, especially given his role in other Hellboy books.