Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

For me, her inclusion in BTAS gave us something iconically new, in an industry where it's incredibly difficult to come up with new, sustainable characters, and turned the gangster moll stock character and trope on its ear. Let alone it being incredibly challenging to add something new that resonates to the Batman mythos - one of the largest and developed ongoing dramas in all of speculative fiction.

The only other non-classic character that I can see became as sweepingly big as Harley (before her) is Wolverine.

The BTAS version of the character just works and is a great juxtaposition of the "hero and girlfriend" trope too. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more attempts at developing villains's significant others because of Harley. Not to copy Harley, but to explore that dynamic.

My favorite quote about Harley that sums her up succinctly and just "hums," was by Dini (I think) as she was being developed:

"Q: What's scarier than the Joker?"

"A: The woman who loves him."

So much to unpack in that and play with in terms of themes, gender roles, stereotypes, etc., as well as the Batman character mythos hallmark of mental health challenges.

I donīt know. I leave Harley serie many years ago.

Initially I was happy for see that she was not under Joker control anymore but.. This is not the kind of character that I like.

She is DC deadpool and I hate this character. Fortunatelly, I have no reasons for hate her.

I canīt say she ruins everything, seems that DC is smart using her.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-05-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

For kids it's the DC superhero girls version right now that has the attention. I would say it's because, like rainbow dash from MLP she's a bit of a wild card. She comes off as good but not a goodie two shoes. Or like a wilder version of Pinky pie. Goofy but can be a stand up character.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    For kids it's the DC superhero girls version right now that has the attention. I would say it's because, like rainbow dash from MLP she's a bit of a wild card. She comes off as good but not a goodie two shoes. Or like a wilder version of Pinky pie. Goofy but can be a stand up character.
    Reminds me of when I mapped the Mane Cast of MLP:FiM to the Greek Olympian goddesses[1]. Harley Quinn as Aphrodite makes a certain weird but scary sense. Poison Ivy of course maps to Demeter, especially when one considers her aspect as Persephone[2]. If one continues on with the Batfamily, then Oracle is of course Athena[3]. Catwoman feels as a good fit for Artemis. I don't know the other Bat characters good enough to think of good analogues for Hera and Hestia[4].

If one instead goes towards DC villainesses, then Cheetah is a good fit for Artemis, leaving Catwoman somewhat hanging[5]. The current Veronica Cale seems like a good fit for Hera, but it would need Athena and Hestia analogues.

[1] For those curious: Twilight Sparkle - Athena; Rarity - Hera; Fluttershy - Hestia; Rainbow Dash - Artemis; Pinkie Pie - Aphrodite; Applejack - Demeter.

[2] Indoeuropean fertility gods tend to show up in pairs, who usually tended to be worshipped together, be related, and change their relation and gender around as the religion was adapted to new circumstances. And Persephone was easily regarded as the god the Greeks thought it best to stay on the good side of.

[3] And possibly bringing in the Joker as some sort of Hephaestus-analogue, making my head hurt… no, don't hit it!

[4] Except possibly Alfred.

[5] Don't worry, she'll land on her feet.

Well I talked to some girls today cosplaying as Harley and two answers I got were
    1. I really identify with her craziness.
    2. I admire her ability to do whatever she wants regardless of the consequences.

All-New Member

Harley Quinn is appealing to everyone because she isn't a hero or villain. In the beginning she just fell in love with the Joker (despite people debating whether or not she truly loves the Joker, in my mind there is no doubt). Everyone can relate to falling for someone who isn't good for them. She is a relatable character in more ways than people can think of. She loves animals which again shows how much people can relate. A lot of people consider themselves crazy for things that everyone does and Harley is a perfect example of someone sane doing things that are questionable. Besides the psychological appeal she is portrayed as hot and dangerous. Everyone loves a character that is unpredictable and gorgeous. Harley Quinn is a perfect blend of insane and sane.

BANNED

Its an iconic archtype. And the only reason Harley is popular is that she evolved from what she was in BTAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    Well I talked to some girls today cosplaying as Harley and two answers I got were
    2. I admire her ability to do whatever she wants regardless of the consequences.
    Interesting, especially the second reason. I think more recent interpretations also hint that she is putting on an act of being a "dumb blonde", "child woman" and "brainless crazypants" so that people underestimate her and she in turn can get the better of them. I guess that's how she survives all those Squad missions (besides being granted immunity by the power of popularity of course )

BANNED

Harley is Deadpool with boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Interesting, especially the second reason. I think more recent interpretations also hint that she is putting on an act of being a "dumb blonde", "child woman" and "brainless crazypants" so that people underestimate her and she in turn can get the better of them. I guess that's how she survives all those Squad missions (besides being granted immunity by the power of popularity of course )
    That's another factor too, Im sure. Everyone writes Harley off as a moron....right up until they realize she's been two steps ahead of them the whole time and get a giant mallet in the face. And Harley encourages this mindset because it gives her a distinct advantage.

I dont know how common this sort of thing is, but my wife studies law and happens to be a very short, very attractive woman. No one takes her seriously at first until she drops some major law knowledge on them and proves she knows more than they do. I'd imagine that's fairly common, so there's another reason for Harley's appeal among her female fans.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    That may also be damage control when it comes to her origins as well. It was implied in Mad Love that she didn't get through school with academics. It is probably better now that she is popular to disregard and retcon that instance how she acquired her PHD. It helps puddin' out too as it definitely makes it seem more like Joker is a good con man.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    And in a lot of cases some cosplayers don't really know much of her outside of her cool look, which was depressing.

The first one got to me because it brings up a question of people seeing themselves in her and not getting the help they actually need.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    That may also be damage control when it comes to her origins as well. It was implied in Mad Love that she didn't get through school with academics. It is probably better now that she is popular to disregard and retcon that instance how she acquired her PHD. It helps puddin' out too as it definitely makes it seem more like Joker is a good con man.

shrugs
    I'd think she's very intelligent
    she's a former psychiatrist
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    And in a lot of cases some cosplayers don't really know much of her outside of her cool look, which was depressing.

The first one got to me because it brings up a question of people seeing themselves in her and not getting the help they actually need.
    Everyone is a little eccentric, crazy, weird, etc Harley Quinn is more about freedom and embracing the imperfect aspects of ourselves
    She's crazy and loves a criminal like the Joker
    She is also funny and has some capacity to care for others.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    shrugs
    I'd think she's very intelligent
    she's a former psychiatrist
    Yes, but Mad Love suggested that she is a psychiatrist not because she studied hard for it, but because she was good at finding alternative means to convince teachers to let her pass tests she couldn't make academically.