Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default The enduring popularity of 1980s cinema (especially among younger fans)

I grew up during the 1980s. Not surprisingly, of course, I enjoyed much of that decade's cinematic output and have a sense of nostalgia in regarding them today.

What surprises me, however, is the popularity of 1980s cinema among the younger generation - viewers who were not yet even born in the 1980s, but know and love the movies of that era as much as (if not more than) anyone of my generation.

I work with many younger people who weren't around in the 80s, and with rare exception, many of them are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about 80s movies. This phenomenon is even reflected in current pop culture, where, for example, the MCU Peter Parker frequently references 1980s movies.

What is it about 1980s cinema that continues to captivate audiences even decades later?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 04-28-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The rise of very good practical effects (thanks, in part, due to Star Wars) helped with the creativity of that era in a few ways. Granted, films like Planet of the Apes and 2001 had been using practical effects (although both films were kind of philsophoical more than adventurous sci-fi) but I think ILM really pushed the envelope of what could be done during that time.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The rise of very good practical effects (thanks, in part, due to Star Wars) helped with the creativity of that era in a few ways. Granted, films like Planet of the Apes and 2001 had been using practical effects (although both films were kind of philsophoical more than adventurous sci-fi) but I think ILM really pushed the envelope of what could be done during that time.
    Even effects-less movies such as the John Hughes teen comedies and music-oriented films such as FOOTLOOSE and DIRTY DANCING have surprising cultural legs beyond their original audience. I never thought that an entirely new generation would like these movies as much as my generation did.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I grew up during the 1980s. Not surprisingly, of course, I enjoyed much of that decade's cinematic output and have a sense of nostalgia in regarding them today.

What surprises me, however, is the popularity of 1980s cinema among the younger generation - viewers who were not yet even born in the 1980s, but know and love the movies of that era as much as (if not more than) anyone of my generation.

I work with many younger people who weren't around in the 80s, and with rare exception, many of them are knowledgeable about and enthusiastic about 80s movies. This phenomenon is even reflected in current pop culture, where, for example, the MCU Peter Parker frequently references 1980s movies.

What is it about 1980s cinema that continues to captivate audiences even decades later?

Lucas and Spielberg

Star Wars is an entertainment brand up there with all of DC, Marvel, James Bond, and Harry Potter. It began and flourished in the late 70s/early 80s.

Steven Spielberg is probably the most commercially successful director ever as well with being critically successful too. During the same time Star Wars was blossoming, Spielberg was in his prime blockbuster mode. He not only directed some of the best blockbuster movies he also produced many other filmmakers like Robert Zemeckis and Joe Dante.

Both men were producing the best popcorn entertainment in Hollywood's history up to that point. Now the generation that grew up on their movies are making their own movies.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Let's face it, 80's movies just had a certain cool factor.

The music, too, is unexpectedly popular with kids today.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Even effects-less movies such as the John Hughes teen comedies and music-oriented films such as FOOTLOOSE and DIRTY DANCING have surprising cultural legs beyond their original audience. I never thought that an entirely new generation would like these movies as much as my generation did.

In the case of the teen comedies by John Hughes, I think they have a certain resonance beyond their era, since almost everyone can relate to being forced to act like someone they really aren't to please their peers or their parents or other authority figures, being bullied and shunned and outcast by their peers, and being treated like crap by authority figures, yet expected to be good little boys and girls and not retaliate despite how poorly they're treated. Hell, with today's social media and attendant issues with cyberbullying and the like, it could be argued that the issues and topics broached by Hughes's films are more resonant than they've ever been.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I wonder if this is something that shifts. The best decade in film used to be considered the 1950s, represented by All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard, The African Queen, A Streetcar Named Desire, High Noon, Singing in the Rain, Shane, On The Waterfront, Rear Window, The Searchers, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Some Like It Hot, and others. When the AFI did a new Top 100 list, the 70s had more films, with The Godfather, Star Wars, Annie Hall, Chinatown, Apocalypse Now, Jaws, Nashville, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, MASH, The Deer Hunter, American Grafitti, Cabaret, A Clockwork Orange, All the President's Men, Taxi Driver, Rocky, Network, The Godfather Part 2, and others.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

There are decent films in the 80s, but every decade has some highlights.

But the favored decade could be something that changes a bit, as new generations have a new standard on films that are old enough to appear classic (something made in 1985 is as distant to a kid born in 2006 as Dr. Strangelove is to someone born in 1985) but that are recent enough to not appear to be as hampered by older conventions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

It seems like ppl who made movies back then were so excited about it. I guess that translates to the audience no matter the age.

I think its because they were so entertaining. I am 26. 80s were before i was born. But that decade had so many solid entertainers that i love the decade. Back To The Future, the Star Wars sequels, Princess Bride, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Indiana Jones etc. My favorite film from that era might be The Shining. When asked in another thread i chose Empire Strikes Back. But i am not so sure. On some days i choose one, on other days i choose something else.

Personally, i think the earlier decades were far better. Earlier, i would have said the 70s were the best. But now i am not sure. 50s, 60s were amazing after i watched more films from that era. That's because i love films with a philosophical bent more. I tend to think its a decade of dumb films. We hear so many complains about superhero films. About how there is nothing original nowadays. That the audience are being 'dumbed down'. While these are not valid complaints in my opinion, i find it funny that while criticizing the same, the roots of such 'problems' can be traced to the 80s and they ignore that.

I think 80s had a lot of great films which can work for just about anyone irrespective of when and where people are living.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-28-2018 at 06:28 PM.

One should never underestimate Swayze's ability to turn in an interesting performance. Even To Wong Fu, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar holds up surprisingly well. Next Of Kin is still pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    It seems like ppl who made movies back then were so excited about it. I guess that translates to the audience no matter the age.
    There's also that you had to actually do things back then.

Escape From New York being a prime example of this.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I always say the 70s were a great decade to be a kid, the 80s were a great decade to be a teenager and the 90s were a great decade to be a young adult. I got lucky the first three decades of my life.

I love a lot of 80s pop culture. I was born in the 90s, but I think it was because of the "bleed". The 80s spilled into the early 90s so I feel like it's part of the DNA. I still haven't seen a lot of the mainstream movies, like goonies, gremlins, etc. But I tend to be entranced by the aesthetic, especially from music video, backgorund characters, psa's.

For example a month ago I fell into a classic youtube rabbit hole. The title of this hole was Kids Incorporated. An 80s kids show that was like kind of like an "All That" for musical performances, I haven't heard of it until recently and found out Fergie and Jennifer Love Hewitt appeared thre as main cast members when they were kids. I watched almost all their opening title sequences because I like watching the growth and evolution of things.

I would have found that show if I was searching for an 80s song, lol.

I was born in the late 80s, grew up in the 90s so the best of both worlds. The 80s was a time of grit and imagination which is why I think it's enduring even to this day. I mean think about it. Back to the Future, ET, GHostbusters, Beetlejuice, Weird Science, Star Wars, BIG,---All, in the words of Gene Wilder...pure imagination.

People love imagination...being transported to a world of crazy and wild adventures. On the other side of that coin is the gritty world of the 80s and some of the movies of the time kinda reflected that.

People also love gritty movies too so hence the movies that reflected that aspect too.
    Grit- Terminator, Blade Runner, Aliens, Die Hard, Platoon...etc

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    There's also that you had to actually do things back then.

Escape From New York being a prime example of this.
    Yeah and actors weren't as generic and interchangeable like they are today. Even a B level guy like Kurt Russell had star power, it got you more invested in the movie imo.