Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I see that we have several "Tales of Mystery" comics "hosted" by Boris Karloff. This had to be around the time he was hosting the suspense/horror anthology series "Thriller". I wonder if any of those stories got adapted in the comic books. The show did adapt Robert E. Howard's short story "The Pidgeons from Hell" ...classic episode. Another favorite was "Parasite Mansion"
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-25-2018 at 02:22 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    His Poe films were good. Corman really knew how to economize with the budgets he got. My favorites are the Masque of the Red Death, the comical The Raven with Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre and the Pit and the Pendulum, which is the only Roger Corman film Barbara Steele ever did.
    The Raven is my favorite, but The Pit and the Pendulum might be my pick for the best of the serious Poe adaptations.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Anyone remember Lassie (also a TV show of course)?

Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-25-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Great topic!

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 04-25-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: oops!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The Raven is my favorite, but The Pit and the Pendulum might be my pick for the best of the serious Poe adaptations.
    I believe The Masque of the Red Death is generally considered his best. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The Man with the X-Ray eyes was a bit cheesy at times but it was a bit thought provoking too when you figure what would you do if you did have that power. And it's taken to a sort of Biblical conclusion. If thine eyes offend thee....

His Poe films were good. Corman really knew how to economize with the budgets he got. My favorites are the Masque of the Red Death, the comical The Raven with Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre and the Pit and the Pendulum, which is the only Roger Corman film Barbara Steele ever did.
    I'm ashamed : I've never seen any Roger Corman movie (still have to finish watching his FF - you know the one featuring a well known masked doctor). And there is a comical adaptation of The Raven with *Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre : omg, that hits so many of the good spots...

So thanks for making me aware of what I was posting!

Digging a little bit further, the Gold Key cover by George Wilson used many elements from the movie poster by Reynold Brown.

More confessions : I've never seen any Avengers with Cathy Gale (never or very rarely screened on French TV... I should buy the DVDs I know...).

First time also I hear the names of Jesse Santos (last contest) or Richard Powers - even if my eyes know some of their works.

So thanks for this great theme, which expands the boundaries of my knowledge of the wonderful world of illustrations.

I'll add my small part: most of the Marvel comics from my childhood had painted cover by Jean Frisano. You can Google his name or just enjoy his reworking of Kirby for the FF here https://m.bedetheque.com/serie-3381-...nture-des.html . It's not perfect but according to his French Wikipedia page, he was the first to do painted covers of Marvel comics.

BTW I saw a lot of Lassie! And I highly suggest to have a look at the half hilarious half a bit sad covers of the Dell Barbie and Ken series (photographic covers and not painted I think).
    Last edited by Abe; 04-26-2018 at 06:45 AM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I see that we have several "Tales of Mystery" comics "hosted" by Boris Karloff. This had to be around the time he was hosting the suspense/horror anthology series "Thriller". I wonder if any of those stories got adapted in the comic books. The show did adapt Robert E. Howard's short story "The Pidgeons from Hell" ...classic episode. Another favorite was "Parasite Mansion"
    The book started in 1962, when Thriller was on the air. Interestingly, it ran until 1980; more than a decade after Karloff's death.

I am currently working on assembling a complete run of the title.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Of course, I loved Lassie as a kid (I fondly remember the Greensleeves theme music to the tv show) and that's a beautiful cover by Morris Gollub. I have a partial spot for animals, hence this cover and Nicholas Firfires beautiful painting of Buck Jones #2 posted by Iron Maiden are amongst my favourites.

Btw, great contest Greg. Some truly beautiful covers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Kaiju Lassie? Those houses don't seem to be that far in the distance.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Tarzan goes WAAAAAAAAAAAAY underground!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    The book started in 1962, when Thriller was on the air. Interestingly, it ran until 1980; more than a decade after Karloff's death.
    Did anyone think mere death would stop Karloff?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    It was fairly popular in rerun form on TV back in the '70s. In fact, one of the nice things about a hospital stay I had for a week 45 years ago was being able to watch the show late at night.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?