Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Avengers: Infinity War (spoilers allowed)

This thread is intended for those who wish to discuss the newly released film without having to avoid spoilers.
    If you wish to avoid spoilers, a no spoilers thread has been set up for your convenience.

That being said, please place major plot points/surprises in the provided spoiler tags (spoil) (/spoil) but using square brackets instead.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

I'm shocked spoilers:
    Hugo Weaving/Red Skull is back I thought he hated his time working with Marvel
    end of spoilers .

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I'm shocked spoilers:
    Hugo Weaving/Red Skull is back I thought he hated his time working with Marvel
    end of spoilers .

Different actor. Character is too important to be held hostage by that actor
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Whoever did that role sure sounded like the original actor. I thought it was him, even though the characters face was covered.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek

spoilers:
    This was the best movie experience I've ever had in a theater. Before that I'd say it was The Dark Knight in 2008, and then the The Avengers in 2012. This tops both of those easily, and just in terms of pure excitement, it's the best movie I've ever seen. This was everything I wanted, and more. From start to finish. I'm guessing people might have issue with some of the pacing of the movie, but I can't fault it really because this is just a big build up relying on previous films with a huge cast. It has to jump around and juggle screen time for everyone, and it does that very well given the circumstances. Thanos was a much better villain that I thought he would be. Brolin did a terrific job. Even with all that is going on, the movie makes a decent effort to find time to focus on him and his aspirations. I'm still deciding if taking Thano's big motivation factor from the comics away was the right call. Here, it comes off as him really trying to rule the universe in his image, and not trying to do it to impress anyone else. I'm leaning towards it being a good call now that I'm typing this.
    end of spoilers

Of course, now I have questions

spoilers:
    Did Valkyrie perish along with the rest of the Asgardians? She's supposed to be in future films.

Nick Fury tried to message Captain Marvel. Why though? What could she do with what happened regarding Thanos' decision to wipe out half the universe?

I'm guessing Red Skull is just a one time appearance thing?

Wait, Thanos whooped the Hulk? How is that possible?
    end of spoilers

Well all probably know the end won't stickspoilers:
    We all know there will be another GotG and another BP movie at least, so they cannot be dead, can they?
    end of spoilers

There is one thing that surprised me: spoilers:
    No Ant-Man and no Hawkeye? Were they cut out out? I remember there were pics of them on the set and Hawkeye to be in his Ronin costume
    end of spoilers

@ PapaShogun

spoilers:
    Did Valkyrie perish along with the rest of the Asgardians? She's supposed to be in future films.

Nick Fury tried to message Captain Marvel. Why though? What could she do with what happened regarding Thanos' decision to wipe out half the universe?

end of spoilers[/QUOTE]

Answers:

spoilers:
    Valkyre: No one knows and I wondered about her fate as well BUT the film mentions only HALF the asgardians were killed by the Black Order so she might very well be alive. That said even if she's dead we've got a sequel to Infinity War. Get the gauntlet, reset reality...

Captain Marvel: Probably Fury's "secret weapon". According to Feige she's supposed to be "the most powerful Marvel hero" topping Thor, the Hulk and Doctor Strange...

Red Skull: not so sure about that. He's some sort of ghost at the moment. He's pure evil. He's Cap's archenemy. May very well come back in play next film. Also consider this. The Soul Stone does "eat" people's souls. Apparently it asked Thanos to "sacrifice" Gamora but may very well "just" have taken her soul (as evidenced in the finale). If the Red Skull is some sort of "soul ghost" he may be important to find a way to defeat Thanos.

Thanos vs the Hulk: Thanos, without the gauntlet, is way more powerful than heralds of Galactus, or Thor AND the Hulk fighting together. This was Thanos WITH the power stone (basically a source of infinite power). The Hulk never stood a chance but no one else did.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Nick had no idea that that's what Thanos had done - all he knew (from Hill) was that something was going down in Wakanda (where the others seemed to have gathered) and Tony was missing. He saw people disintegrating so he called in his biggest gun (or tried to).
    end of spoilers

Sorry, edited to include spoiler tags.

My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    spoilers:
    This was the best movie experience I've ever had in a theater. Before that I'd say it was The Dark Knight in 2008, and then the The Avengers in 2012. This tops both of those easily, and just in terms of pure excitement, it's the best movie I've ever seen. This was everything I wanted, and more. From start to finish. I'm guessing people might have issue with some of the pacing of the movie, but I can't fault it really because this is just a big build up relying on previous films with a huge cast. It has to jump around and juggle screen time for everyone, and it does that very well given the circumstances. Thanos was a much better villain that I thought he would be. Brolin did a terrific job. Even with all that is going on, the movie makes a decent effort to find time to focus on him and his aspirations. I'm still deciding if taking Thano's big motivation factor from the comics away was the right call. Here, it comes off as him really trying to rule the universe in his image, and not trying to do it to impress anyone else. I'm leaning towards it being a good call now that I'm typing this.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    if Thanos jobs to Carol, I'm gonna be pissed. Anyways...yes I think the people that "died" are probably trapped in the Soul stone. That is what I think Strange saw, finding a way to stop Thanos via someone or something inside the soul stone. I think he realized that no one was going to intentionally job for Thanos, so he didn't tell anyone. Remember how Quinn said it was his plan? Anyways just a thought.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    That's what I wondered. I wasn't sure if it was him playing the character.

The film was released a tad early in Australia to coincide with a public holiday, so I came out of the release day showing just a couple of hours ago.
    It is a long film, around the two and a half hour mark but it does not feel like it. It is fun and full of energy. The packed cinema laughed and cheered at a number of scenes.

And here come my thoughts mixed with spoilers...

spoilers:

The opening scene sets up Thanos' power nicely with the utter defeat of the Asgardians and apparent death of Loki. I did think Loki was being daft with the stabbing attempt. Even if he did stab Thanos, did he actually think it'd kill him? What about all of Thanos' henchmen standing around? Loki would have had more luck trying to use the Tesseract to fight Thanos.
    Thanos' henchmen have some ... dodgy CGI where their faces look like they're made of plastic. Think 'Avatar' but lower grade.
    The Wanda/Vision romance feels a little rushed, as it has happened off screen but the actors do a fine job communicating the situation.
    Not entirely sure how Cap and friends tracked down Vision and Wanda as they were being attacked. The cinema cheered when Cap first appeared on screen.
    Thor's interactions with the GotG were hilarious, especially Starlord's rampant jealousy.
    The lack of Hawkeye and Antman is hand waved off a bit too easily.
    Every character gets a moment to shine which is great; from Nebula to Groot to Black Widow to Wakandians. No one is made to look useless. There is something is here for everyone, which is the right tactic to use for such a film.
    I did think Tony was being a bit thick when Strange said he saw only one scenario where they won and later said "this was the only way" after he gave up the Time Stone.
    Thor's restarting of the forge was a bit odd. He can apparently take the focused output of a star (albeit a small one) for some minutes and survive. Yet Thanos wiped the floor with him. On the other hand ... Stormbreaker!
    I was surprised that the only 'real' deaths in the film were the Vision (not counting Asgardians) and Gamora. Not that characters died but it was that limited in scope.
    Great to see the Hulkbuster suit again, I am surprised it was Bruce in it though.
    So death by gauntlet ... Falcon, Black Panther, Maria Hill, Nick Fury, Wanda, Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Bucky, Drax, Mantis, Groot, Star Lord...
    I am curious about the Hulk refusing to surface. Is he that whipped after his defeat by Thanos? I was pondering the whole 1/2 the Universe thing and how they seemed to be stressing that Bruce and the Hulk were different beings.
    A great use of Peter Dinklage.
    It was nice to see Hill and Fury again, though it was pretty brief. Nice set up for Captain Marvel as well.

I really enjoyed the film. They crammed a lot in and it somehow worked wonderfully.
    end of spoilers
    @Matt_of_Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The film was released a tad early in Australia to coincide with a public holiday, so I came out of the release day showing just a couple of hours ago.
    It is a long film, around the two and a half hour mark but it does not feel like it. It is fun and full of energy. The packed cinema laughed and cheered at a number of scenes.

And here come my thoughts mixed with spoilers...

spoilers:

The opening scene sets up Thanos' power nicely with the utter defeat of the Asgardians and apparent death of Loki. I did think Loki was being daft with the stabbing attempt. Even if he did stab Thanos, did he actually think it'd kill him? What about all of Thanos' henchmen standing around? Loki would have had more luck trying to use the Tesseract to fight Thanos.
    Thanos' henchmen have some ... dodgy CGI where their faces look like they're made of plastic. Think 'Avatar' but lower grade.
    The Wanda/Vision romance feels a little rushed, as it has happened off screen but the actors do a fine job communicating the situation.
    Not entirely sure how Cap and friends tracked down Vision and Wanda as they were being attacked. The cinema cheered when Cap first appeared on screen.
    Thor's interactions with the GotG were hilarious, especially Starlord's rampant jealousy.
    The lack of Hawkeye and Antman is hand waved off a bit too easily.
    Every character gets a moment to shine which is great; from Nebula to Groot to Black Widow to Wakandians. No one is made to look useless. There is something is here for everyone, which is the right tactic to use for such a film.
    I did think Tony was being a bit thick when Strange said he saw only one scenario where they won and later said "this was the only way" after he gave up the Time Stone.
    Thor's restarting of the forge was a bit odd. He can apparently take the focused output of a star (albeit a small one) for some minutes and survive. Yet Thanos wiped the floor with him. On the other hand ... Stormbreaker!
    I was surprised that the only 'real' deaths in the film were the Vision (not counting Asgardians) and Gamora. Not that characters died but it was that limited in scope.
    Great to see the Hulkbuster suit again, I am surprised it was Bruce in it though.
    So death by gauntlet ... Falcon, Black Panther, Maria Hill, Nick Fury, Wanda, Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Bucky, Drax, Mantis, Groot, Star Lord...
    I am curious about the Hulk refusing to surface. Is he that whipped after his defeat by Thanos? I was pondering the whole 1/2 the Universe thing and how they seemed to be stressing that Bruce and the Hulk were different beings.
    A great use of Peter Dinklage.
    It was nice to see Hill and Fury again, though it was pretty brief. Nice set up for Captain Marvel as well.

I really enjoyed the film. They crammed a lot in and it somehow worked wonderfully.
    end of spoilers
    I'd agree with all that - it was a great movie!!

spoilers:
    Stormbreaker!!!!!!!!!!!! - I loved how we saw Thor have some real power and he stuck it to Thanos -- he just should have gone for the hand !!!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I honestly thought that that was what he was going to do - use the tesseract to get him and Thor out of there.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The CGI with Banner's and Rhodey's heads and the suits at the end... that was so bad.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    The cinema cheered when Cap first appeared on screen.
    end of spoilers
    Same in ours.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Starlord had put on some weight...
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Ditto.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Different types of trauma.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The trailers had Hulk in the Wakanda charge, didn't they?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Absolutely

Incredible Member

Default The best fight sequence in infinity war (spoilers)

This will certainly be taken down, so see the clip while you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDW-M4fOkX8

It was the scene on Titan where Doctor Strange faced off against Thanos. It's just a cooler looking sequence than all the others, the only other one that comes close is when Thors axe cut into thanos blast to bury itself in his chest.

And of course, an obligatory dig to wolverine... infinitely better and more compelling than any scene ever made, or ever could be made about a wolverine fight sequence.
    Last edited by Sammael; 04-28-2018 at 06:29 AM.

Strange with a shadow clone jutsu! Very cool.