Page 1 of 102 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Avengers: Infinity War (spoilers allowed)

This thread is intended for those who wish to discuss the newly released film without having to avoid spoilers.
    If you wish to avoid spoilers, a no spoilers thread has been set up for your convenience.

That being said, please place major plot points/surprises in the provided spoiler tags (spoil) (/spoil) but using square brackets instead.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

I'm shocked spoilers:
    Hugo Weaving/Red Skull is back I thought he hated his time working with Marvel
    end of spoilers .

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I'm shocked spoilers:
    Hugo Weaving/Red Skull is back I thought he hated his time working with Marvel
    end of spoilers .

Different actor. Character is too important to be held hostage by that actor
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

The film was released a tad early in Australia to coincide with a public holiday, so I came out of the release day showing just a couple of hours ago.
    It is a long film, around the two and a half hour mark but it does not feel like it. It is fun and full of energy. The packed cinema laughed and cheered at a number of scenes.

And here come my thoughts mixed with spoilers...

spoilers:

The opening scene sets up Thanos' power nicely with the utter defeat of the Asgardians and apparent death of Loki. I did think Loki was being daft with the stabbing attempt. Even if he did stab Thanos, did he actually think it'd kill him? What about all of Thanos' henchmen standing around? Loki would have had more luck trying to use the Tesseract to fight Thanos.
    Thanos' henchmen have some ... dodgy CGI where their faces look like they're made of plastic. Think 'Avatar' but lower grade.
    The Wanda/Vision romance feels a little rushed, as it has happened off screen but the actors do a fine job communicating the situation.
    Not entirely sure how Cap and friends tracked down Vision and Wanda as they were being attacked. The cinema cheered when Cap first appeared on screen.
    Thor's interactions with the GotG were hilarious, especially Starlord's rampant jealousy.
    The lack of Hawkeye and Antman is hand waved off a bit too easily.
    Every character gets a moment to shine which is great; from Nebula to Groot to Black Widow to Wakandians. No one is made to look useless. There is something is here for everyone, which is the right tactic to use for such a film.
    I did think Tony was being a bit thick when Strange said he saw only one scenario where they won and later said "this was the only way" after he gave up the Time Stone.
    Thor's restarting of the forge was a bit odd. He can apparently take the focused output of a star (albeit a small one) for some minutes and survive. Yet Thanos wiped the floor with him. On the other hand ... Stormbreaker!
    I was surprised that the only 'real' deaths in the film were the Vision (not counting Asgardians) and Gamora. Not that characters died but it was that limited in scope.
    Great to see the Hulkbuster suit again, I am surprised it was Bruce in it though.
    So death by gauntlet ... Falcon, Black Panther, Maria Hill, Nick Fury, Wanda, Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Bucky, Drax, Mantis, Groot, Star Lord...
    I am curious about the Hulk refusing to surface. Is he that whipped after his defeat by Thanos? I was pondering the whole 1/2 the Universe thing and how they seemed to be stressing that Bruce and the Hulk were different beings.
    A great use of Peter Dinklage.
    It was nice to see Hill and Fury again, though it was pretty brief. Nice set up for Captain Marvel as well.

I really enjoyed the film. They crammed a lot in and it somehow worked wonderfully.
    end of spoilers
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Whoever did that role sure sounded like the original actor. I thought it was him, even though the characters face was covered.
    @Matt_of_Geek

That's what I wondered. I wasn't sure if it was him playing the character.

spoilers:
    This was the best movie experience I've ever had in a theater. Before that I'd say it was The Dark Knight in 2008, and then the The Avengers in 2012. This tops both of those easily, and just in terms of pure excitement, it's the best movie I've ever seen. This was everything I wanted, and more. From start to finish. I'm guessing people might have issue with some of the pacing of the movie, but I can't fault it really because this is just a big build up relying on previous films with a huge cast. It has to jump around and juggle screen time for everyone, and it does that very well given the circumstances. Thanos was a much better villain that I thought he would be. Brolin did a terrific job. Even with all that is going on, the movie makes a decent effort to find time to focus on him and his aspirations. I'm still deciding if taking Thano's big motivation factor from the comics away was the right call. Here, it comes off as him really trying to rule the universe in his image, and not trying to do it to impress anyone else. I'm leaning towards it being a good call now that I'm typing this.
    end of spoilers

Of course, now I have questions

spoilers:
    Did Valkyrie perish along with the rest of the Asgardians? She's supposed to be in future films.

Nick Fury tried to message Captain Marvel. Why though? What could she do with what happened regarding Thanos' decision to wipe out half the universe?

I'm guessing Red Skull is just a one time appearance thing?

Wait, Thanos whooped the Hulk? How is that possible?
    end of spoilers

Well all probably know the end won't stickspoilers:
    We all know there will be another GotG and another BP movie at least, so they cannot be dead, can they?
    end of spoilers

There is one thing that surprised me: spoilers:
    No Ant-Man and no Hawkeye? Were they cut out out? I remember there were pics of them on the set and Hawkeye to be in his Ronin costume
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Well all probably know the end won't stickspoilers:
    We all know there will be another GotG and another BP movie at least, so they cannot be dead, can they?
    end of spoilers

No Ant-Man and no Hawkeye? Were they cut out out? I remember there were pics of them on the set and Hawkeye to be in his Ronin costume
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Ant Man and Hawkeye are basically dismissed due to family reasons after Captain freed everyone. That was what they wanted. The next Ant Man movie comes out in two months anyway, so it's not a big deal. So many characters in this movie it's not surprising that two got cut. I expect them to be in Part 4 though.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    No I think the impact of their families dieing from the snap will have more impact at start of A4
    end of spoilers
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

spoilers:
    No I think the impact of their families dieing from the snap will have more impact at start of A4
    end of spoilers
    That's how I'm thinking they get back in the fold too. Seems pretty obvious given the ending.

Oh yeah, after the events of this film I wonder if that is going to effect Marvel TV in anyway.

spoilers:
    Half of the population of Earth is going to cause huge problems for the planet. I don't see how the planet could sustain itself honestly. But would that play out on shows like the next season of Daredevil? Or Agents of Shield (don't watch that anymore). Wondering if this big catastrophe is going to be consistent in all phases of the MCU.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    That's how I'm thinking they get back in the fold too. Seems pretty obvious given the ending.
    Imo it's better not to show Hawkeye. If that part was shown o think marvel would've got serious backlash

Imo it's better not to show Hawkeye. If that part was shown o think marvel would've got serious backlash
    Backlash in what form?

Lol the fight between two major characters in the very beginning reminded me of Debo getting his ass whipped in Friday.