Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1523
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I agree with that. There are fans who long for the "good old days" when there were only a dozen titles to follow under a handful of creators. But even in the sixties where Stan was editing the entire line and scripting every comic (with help from his brother Larry Leiber) there were still inconsistencies. Stan got both Spider-Man and the Hulk's names wrong in print. Captain America was retconned as being frozen since WWII, even though Stan wrote post war Captain America in the past decade. And the powers changed constantly. Anyone remember when Namor could expand like a blowfish? Or when he could conduct electricity like an eel?

People like Roy Thomas, Mark Gruenwald, Steve Englehart, and others worked overtime to make the MU consistent, explain away any continuity errors, and use the past stories to form the current and future stories. Creators like Claremont, Byrne, and Stern worked closely together to flesh out character backstory and worldbuilding.

But the results could vary. There was a Silver Surfer story about a duplicate Surfer that was only written so Steve Englehart could explain why the Silver Surfer had a cameo during the Death Of Captain Marvel GN set on Titan when the Surfer was still exiled on Earth. It seemed like a lot of effort to correct a mistake no one noticed or even cared about. At times, it seemed some creators were valuing consistency more than story quality.
    In those days it was still assumed that comics were read almost exclusively by young boys, and that they would stop reading when they got old enough to be interested in cars and girls. They figured that a person's comics-reading life was, at most, 5 years (and their attention span shorter than that), so continuity was only worried about in the short term. They felt free to retcon anything they wanted and even recycle entire stories almost scene-for-scene.

The obsession with canon and continuity didn't begin until geek culture started going mainstream in the 70's and 80's.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    ...And the powers changed constantly. Anyone remember when Namor could expand like a blowfish? Or when he could conduct electricity like an eel?
    Or how Spider-Man could make glider wings out of his webbing, or Thor could whip up hurricanes with either his breath or his cape?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Or how Spider-Man could make glider wings out of his webbing, or Thor could whip up hurricanes with either his breath or his cape?
    In fairness to Spidey, that's a technological power -- he can still do that on the fly or build it into his suit whenever he wants to, like Iron Man and any of his upgrades. It's not like he grew them out of the skin of his armpits.

60s/70s Thor seemed to have the same guiding principles as Silver Age Superman, for good or for bad.

But secondary mutations in the 2000s, I think, are closer to Rincewind's point.

Which actors do you think benefited their careers the most by being in Infinity War?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Which actors do you think benefited their careers the most by being in Infinity War?
    It's not like Brolin needs the work per se, but the fact that he's both in Infinity War and Deadpool 2 (along with his upcoming Sicario sequel) means he's having one hell of a great summer right now.

Plus, it really helps him in particular out that Infinity War was essentially Thanos: The Movie, guest-starring eleventy-thousand characters all revolving around him.

Honestly I think all the standouts have big careers as it is. NOw the MCU has made or revived a bunch of careers but infinity war I dont think is gonna launch anyone into a higher level of stardom. Brolin is the standout along with RDJ and they both work as much as they want to.

Brolin's the one who won me over. I wasn't as excited about Cumberbatch and RDj encountering one another, after it happened. but, from scene one, I was interested in what Thanos was going to be doing. Hemsworth has really upped his game, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Honestly I think all the standouts have big careers as it is. NOw the MCU has made or revived a bunch of careers but infinity war I dont think is gonna launch anyone into a higher level of stardom. Brolin is the standout along with RDJ and they both work as much as they want to.
    That's probably it. All the big names in the movie already had big movies and a ton of success under their belt, and it's not like the movie could devote much time to a lot of dramatic standout scenes anyway. But the younger supporting actors though, like Shuri, Ned, M'Baku, and even Red Skull, at least have a huge (or at least another huge) mega blockbuster to add to their resumes -- if you're Brolin or RDJ or Hemsworth, you can now take that for granted, but if you're fresh out of acting school and did only a few bits of TV here and there, this is a dream come true.

Letizia Wright has been popping up more and more since Black Panther, though, so her career is probably in a great trajectory thanks to Marvel 2018, and maybe arguably the best trajectory of the Infinity War cast. Most of the other heroes are already prominent A- and B- list actors in their own right and don't really need the work.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think that's true for IW.

Ragnarok seemed to elevate Hemsworth, at least in the amount of buzz I'm seeing about him as a personality. 12 Strong didn't do much, so maybe not as a box office driver. And obviously BP got several people noticed/elevated, so it's tough to credit IW.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I think that's true for IW.

Ragnarok seemed to elevate Hemsworth, at least in the amount of buzz I'm seeing about him as a personality. 12 Strong didn't do much, so maybe not as a box office driver. And obviously BP got several people noticed/elevated, so it's tough to credit IW.
    I really love how it elevated Taika Waititi's global profile. The man is an online treasure.

BANNED

Who put the Infinity Stones in containers, and why?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Asgardians did, probably. The space gem and reality gem, to make them safer to handle. They seem to have been the only people to recognize the danger of the gems combined

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Didn't the elders of the univers use them to stop the celestials or some ****? If so maybe they did after they stopped the Celestials... who knows more likely it's just they didnt plan the cosmic cube to be the space stone. And then had to explain why the stone was in a cube

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Avengers : Infinity War became the 1st Marvel film to crack the $2 billion worldwide box office mark. Also in the last of the top #10 top grossing films of all-time...Disney has 4 comic book films that have earned over $1.3 billion worldwide . They have a total of 5 films in that top #10. If they buy Fox , they will get a 6th film and that is Avatar .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I think Elizabeth Olsen and to a lesser degree Paul Bettany. Wanda had some really good moments and I don't know that Bettany has really been doing much for awhile. (FWIW I think they should just bring back Bettany's wife Jennifer Connelly as Betty Ross - I keep wanting one good scene with Ruffalo and Thunderbolt Ross))