Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Heh. Wikipedia had a whole story recap up on their site this morning; it's been taken down and replaced with the generic plot summary they had before.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Backlash in what form?
    Showing his kids die.

On other forums there are people saying they won't see it a second time because of the deaths and are upset at Disney for false advertising with this being a darker film

The backlash will also be incredible from people who are only black panther fans also
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Fantastic Member

thoughts....
    spoilers:
    all i could think off is .. what difference can one character make to stop thanos ? you know the one that was summoned in the credits. maybe that person has a whole team that can help as well ? cough*ultimates*cough
    also the whole half universe dead thing just doesn't pack quite a punch knowing that they would be eventually back anyway given they all have sequels announced. question is ,would the ones that died before snap also be eventually be revived ?
    im amazed on how they kept the red skull a secret. the was the biggest shocker for me. i hope we see him again in the future.
    i know this is Thanos' movie but damn did the black order go out too easy. especially voldemort.

just wondering as well.. would this mean dormamu is free to go to earth, should he realize he doesnt have to hold his end of the bargain given strange doesnt have the time stone anymore?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by daisetsu100; 04-25-2018 at 01:17 PM.

spoilers:
    Seen this a couple of hours ago. Put simply, the best Marvel film to date, imo.

The pros:

-The plot flows organically and manges to juggle a plethora of different characters giving everyone their moment.
    -Thanos makes everyone understand why he's the big bad evil guy of the Avengers MCU frachise. He matches his intellect againsty Loki and wins. He phisically overpowers the Hulk (ok Thanos with the Power Stone does but still). He decimates Knowere. Tricks Gamora. Defeats all the heroes. And on top of this you get a clear picture of where he comes from ideologically. Why he doers what he does and why he sacrifices who he sacrifices. Well done with the main bad gut this time, Marvel.
    -Thor teaming up with Rocket. Thor in full thunder god mode. Thor singlehandedly turning the invasion of Wakanda from a rout to a victory.
    -Gamora and Thanos. Gamora and Nebula.
    -Vision and Wanda.
    -Iron Man & Doctor Strange.
    -Hulk NOT wanting to come out and Banner dealing with the situation his own way!
    -The red skull being unable to claim the soul stone because he doesn't love anyone so he can't make the required sacrifice.
    -The comedic aspects. Good without being overbearing.
    -The finale shifting the tone and changhing the game. By the end of the film you know Thanos has won. The silence inside the screening room was very satisfying when casual spectators realized the film had ended with such a finale. They never expected it and were shocked!

Cons:

-The Black order fodderized too soon and generally failing to impress (Ebony Maw aside).
    -Drax. As in GotG he was played as comedic relief and nothing more. He's Drax the destroyer and this was a Thanos story. Feels like he did not get what he deserved.
    -Starlord ruining everything and then dying. No chance for immediate redemption.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The film was released a tad early in Australia to coincide with a public holiday, so I came out of the release day showing just a couple of hours ago.
    It is a long film, around the two and a half hour mark but it does not feel like it. It is fun and full of energy. The packed cinema laughed and cheered at a number of scenes.

And here come my thoughts mixed with spoilers...

spoilers:

The opening scene sets up Thanos' power nicely with the utter defeat of the Asgardians and apparent death of Loki. I did think Loki was being daft with the stabbing attempt. Even if he did stab Thanos, did he actually think it'd kill him? What about all of Thanos' henchmen standing around? Loki would have had more luck trying to use the Tesseract to fight Thanos.
    Thanos' henchmen have some ... dodgy CGI where their faces look like they're made of plastic. Think 'Avatar' but lower grade.
    The Wanda/Vision romance feels a little rushed, as it has happened off screen but the actors do a fine job communicating the situation.
    Not entirely sure how Cap and friends tracked down Vision and Wanda as they were being attacked. The cinema cheered when Cap first appeared on screen.
    Thor's interactions with the GotG were hilarious, especially Starlord's rampant jealousy.
    The lack of Hawkeye and Antman is hand waved off a bit too easily.
    Every character gets a moment to shine which is great; from Nebula to Groot to Black Widow to Wakandians. No one is made to look useless. There is something is here for everyone, which is the right tactic to use for such a film.
    I did think Tony was being a bit thick when Strange said he saw only one scenario where they won and later said "this was the only way" after he gave up the Time Stone.
    Thor's restarting of the forge was a bit odd. He can apparently take the focused output of a star (albeit a small one) for some minutes and survive. Yet Thanos wiped the floor with him. On the other hand ... Stormbreaker!
    I was surprised that the only 'real' deaths in the film were the Vision (not counting Asgardians) and Gamora. Not that characters died but it was that limited in scope.
    Great to see the Hulkbuster suit again, I am surprised it was Bruce in it though.
    So death by gauntlet ... Falcon, Black Panther, Maria Hill, Nick Fury, Wanda, Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Bucky, Drax, Mantis, Groot, Star Lord...
    I am curious about the Hulk refusing to surface. Is he that whipped after his defeat by Thanos? I was pondering the whole 1/2 the Universe thing and how they seemed to be stressing that Bruce and the Hulk were different beings.
    A great use of Peter Dinklage.
    It was nice to see Hill and Fury again, though it was pretty brief. Nice set up for Captain Marvel as well.

I really enjoyed the film. They crammed a lot in and it somehow worked wonderfully.
    end of spoilers
    I'd agree with all that - it was a great movie!!

spoilers:
    Stormbreaker!!!!!!!!!!!! - I loved how we saw Thor have some real power and he stuck it to Thanos -- he just should have gone for the hand !!!
    end of spoilers

@ PapaShogun

spoilers:
    Did Valkyrie perish along with the rest of the Asgardians? She's supposed to be in future films.

Nick Fury tried to message Captain Marvel. Why though? What could she do with what happened regarding Thanos' decision to wipe out half the universe?

I'm guessing Red Skull is just a one time appearance thing?

Wait, Thanos whooped the Hulk? How is that possible?
    end of spoilers[/QUOTE]

Answers:

spoilers:
    Valkyre: No one knows and I wondered about her fate as well BUT the film mentions only HALF the asgardians were killed by the Black Order so she might very well be alive. That said even if she's dead we've got a sequel to Infinity War. Get the gauntlet, reset reality...

Captain Marvel: Probably Fury's "secret weapon". According to Feige she's supposed to be "the most powerful Marvel hero" topping Thor, the Hulk and Doctor Strange...

Red Skull: not so sure about that. He's some sort of ghost at the moment. He's pure evil. He's Cap's archenemy. May very well come back in play next film. Also consider this. The Soul Stone does "eat" people's souls. Apparently it asked Thanos to "sacrifice" Gamora but may very well "just" have taken her soul (as evidenced in the finale). If the Red Skull is some sort of "soul ghost" he may be important to find a way to defeat Thanos.

Thanos vs the Hulk: Thanos, without the gauntlet, is way more powerful than heralds of Galactus, or Thor AND the Hulk fighting together. This was Thanos WITH the power stone (basically a source of infinite power). The Hulk never stood a chance but no one else did.
    end of spoilers

That other villain cameo was unexpected.

All-New Member

Great movie, though I expect there will be plenty of people taken in by it who think
    spoilers:
    that the half of the universe's population that Thanos disintegrated with a snap of his fingers are gone for good and don't realise that they can (and will) all be brought back in Avengers 4
    end of spoilers.

However, those characters that
    spoilers:
    died BEFORE Thaos snapped his fingers, such as Loki, Heimdall, Vision...
    end of spoilers are pretty much gone for good.

It had a great Empire Strikes Back feel, but
    spoilers:
    the escape hatch is obvious. Strange looked through more than 14 million possible alternate futures, and there was only ONE in which the Avengers won. This future must have involved, among other things, Tony Stark staying alive, and Thanos snapping his fingers in the fully-powered Infinity Gauntlet, which is why Strange traded the Time Stone for Stark's life. Strange's final line before disintegrating made it clear that he was doing his best to set events on that one single possible path to victory he had seen. He had no choice. It had to be this way. It was the only way.
    end of spoilers

Now, as for who's going to survive Avengers 4, that really IS up in the air!

spoilers:

I was a little disappointed that Thor was able to deliver the 'killing blow' with Stormbreaker. I mean Thanos had most/all the Infinity Gems then gets taken out in a rather straightforward way. Similarly, the Scarlet Witch was able to hold Thanos back? Granted, Thanos walking all over the heroes doesn't make for a good movie but building up the power of the gems throughout all the movies... the power the collective gems give seems arbitrary; or even less than a single gem.

This movie is basically the MCU version of Thanos quest plus Infinity Gauntlet 1-3. The battle on Titan was great when the heroes were working as a unit against Thanos. The moment when Mantis had a momentary hold over Thanos then Ironman and Spiderman were attempting to wrest the gauntlet away. You had to hope against hope they could do it, though the story demands that they fail to do so; it had the feeling of the heroes vs Thanos in IG issue 3. Tony went through the wringer in that battle. And you had to feel for Spiderman, who's basically a street level hero, trying to hold his own during the fight.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by k von doom; 04-25-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Heh. Wikipedia had a whole story recap up on their site this morning; it's been taken down and replaced with the generic plot summary they had before.
    Rats! I just missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Showing his kids die.

On other forums there are people saying they won't see it a second time because of the deaths and are upset at Disney for false advertising with this being a darker film

The backlash will also be incredible from people who are only black panther fans also
    spoilers:
    Ok I guess I can maybe understand seeing Clint's family vanishing being too dark, but why would Black Panther fans be ticked? Because of T'Challa not being around anymore? That's stupid. Anyone who is pissed about that needs to cool it.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 04-25-2018 at 04:33 PM.

All-New Member

spoilers:
    Ok I guess I can maybe understand seeing Clint's family vanishing being too dark, but why would Black Panther fans be ticked? Because of T'Challa not being around anymore? That's stupid. Anyone who is pissed about that needs to cool it.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Only Black Panther fans who were fooled into thinking the fingersnap disintegrations are permanent might be angry.
    end of spoilers

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Just wait till Friday it's gonna be hilarious imo

Alot of black panther fans never saw a marvel movie and are only seeing infinity war for Wakanda. It's gonna be a loooooong year ahead of us
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

I feel bad for Agents of Shield of course there will be Shenanigans to undo some done in this film but unlike the Netflix shows which just get to dump and run AoS will be hearing week after week after week questions to why doesn't AIF fallout affect them. I guess if this is AoS last season it won't matter but if not this will be a headache for them.

if anyone wants to feel free and message me spoilers about how strong or weak Proxima Mignight is, because I really want to know based on the brief clip they released of her fighting Black Widow
    The J-man