Page 97 of 102 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1523
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Something I haven't heard any commentary on yet.

In the Knowhere sequence, the Collector is clapping as Thanos reveals the planet's destruction.

This begs the question, what is actually 'real' in that sequence? Having a Collector illusion clap seems a bit too whimsical for Thanos. But he's nowhere to be found when Thanos leaves the planet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, that's my issue.

It's not that Stark tried to turn the ship around.

It's that he didn't even bother, thinking that 'bringing the fight to Thanos' was somehow a good idea. Stark had to know he was utterly outgunned
    I think you’re just arguing against a lot of superhero tropes.

Which is fine, but always makes me wonder why one enjoys superheroes.

In a lot of ways, Infinity War is a reversal of Civil War's narrative arc.

In Civil War, the heroes all act poorly (on some level) and yet things mostly work out in the end. Yeah, they're fractured, but Bucky's still alive, Cap frees the prisoners, and Tony comes to a grudging understanding with him.

In Infinity War, the heroes mostly act in good faith but lose everything.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    In a lot of ways, Infinity War is a reversal of Civil War's narrative arc.

In Civil War, the heroes all act poorly (on some level) and yet things mostly work out in the end. Yeah, they're fractured, but Bucky's still alive, Cap frees the prisoners, and Tony comes to a grudging understanding with him.

In Infinity War, the heroes mostly act in good faith but lose everything.
    True. However, in Civil War they're fighting an ex Special Ops agent and in IW they're fighting an intergalactic despot with the greatest power in the universe. That's quite a jump up in weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Studying the ship, to get back to earth and all your resources to better protect the stones. Tony knew that Thanos possessed an army, he fought them in the first Avengers movie. He knew that Thanos already had two gems, thanks to Bruce.

Lets be honest, Starlord was right. His plan sucked.

The only time anyone took the fight to Thanos was when they literally had no other choice. On Knowhere, Starlord tried to get the reality stone first. Thor did everything in his power to get his hammer/axe first before confronting him
    See, I saw Tony not so much choosing to confront Thanos with the forces he had rather than skedaddling back to Earth to consolidate with the other heroes, per se, as recognizing that he didn't have much chance of turning the ship around anyway. So, since he, Strange, and Peter would likely be coming face to face with Thanos shortly anyway, he decided to lean into that situation and turn it into an unexpected attack. Given the circumstances, and the fairly reasonable assumption that if Maw had never failed Thanos before, Thanos would be expecting an unencumbered Time Stone or at worst a captive sorceror, going for the unexpected attack was not the worst tactic to improvise. But I can see where YMMV on that.

One failure, though, was not asking Strange to help with the planning, especially as the only one of them holding an Infinity Stone with (possibly) the ability to counter some of Thanos' abilities; e.g., it was curious to me that they relied on Mantis and her empathic powers, at least alone, rather than attempting to freeze Thanos in time or something. I mean, sure, it's more than possible that the Power Stone or one of the others would have insulated Thanos against such an effect, but until you try... maybe that was one of the 14 million plus failure modes, along with a portal cut to remove the Gauntlet with Thanos' hand still in it.

Something I haven't heard any commentary on yet.

In the Knowhere sequence, the Collector is clapping as Thanos reveals the planet's destruction.

This begs the question, what is actually 'real' in that sequence? Having a Collector illusion clap seems a bit too whimsical for Thanos. But he's nowhere to be found when Thanos leaves the planet.
    I was wondering that too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I was wondering that too.
    I think the clap was more the doing of the reality stone than Thanos. He probably just willed it to create an authentic illusion or whatever it was and the stone took it from there.

Don't think it was an illusion, but rather an alternate reality he was showing, much like how Dr. Strange viewed alternate futures with the time gem. Would be consistent with it being the reality gem and everything

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I think you’re just arguing against a lot of superhero tropes.

Which is fine, but always makes me wonder why one enjoys superheroes.
    Oh spare me the passive aggressive attacks, hmm?

I just want better internal logic, especially coming from someone who's supposed to be a super genius.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I think the clap was more the doing of the reality stone than Thanos. He probably just willed it to create an authentic illusion or whatever it was and the stone took it from there.
    That's an interesting thought. If so, the Reality Stone has a sense of humor, essentially clapping at its own cleverness.

That's an interesting thought. If so, the Reality Stone has a sense of humor, essentially clapping at its own cleverness.
    Or, you know, that's how the Collector acts? Because he does.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Don't think it was an illusion, but rather an alternate reality he was showing, much like how Dr. Strange viewed alternate futures with the time gem. Would be consistent with it being the reality gem and everything
    Alternatively, The Stone is deeply reading its weilder's wants, perhaps even making copy of the weilder's persona inside itself to dictate the details for as long as the rewritten reality lasts.

I saw it as a cheesy way to transition the scene from the fake reality to the true reality. The slow clap of foreboding is practically a cliche at this point.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

So,was Bane more Thanos-like (strength wise) than MCU Thanos?? ������

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVFi6Pb4Guw

Did Hulk manage to squeeze into the batsuit while we weren't looking? Cause if not then no, no he's not.
    (if he did it still wouldn't cause Thanos put the Hulk down faster and more one sidedly that Bane did Batman)