Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1523

Is Kang owned by Fox?

I think Skrulls could work...the threat would be different...but it could work.

I don't know that Marvel needs to build to another 10 year crescendo though....I think we will see a different MCU after the next Avengers movie. I think they will build to something, yes...but I dunno if they need to copy the formula exactly again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say cannon fodder. it just switches gears from an openly aggressive threat to a conspiracy. Whether it would work or not is all in the execution. But Feige has said things will shift tonally after Avengers 4, and that would be a change! You could get a lot of mileage out of debates over who is and isn't a Skrull for the next phase.
    Yeah that's pretty much what I mean when I say it wouldn't work. The storyline of who is and is not a Skrull would drive the plots of all the solo movies out of necessity, rather than allowing them to be largely their own stand-alone stories. I just don't see that working for 10 years. Plus I think ultimately the payoff is really weak compared to what we are experiencing now with Thanos.

Yah I'm with AJ on the Secret Invasion tactic. It would be ok as a standalone story, like Civil War was but not so much as an ongoing thing.

Plus, Marvel movies already have enough trouble with character development. We don't need a bunch of movies that feature Skrulls instead of the real characters to reduce it even more.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yeah that's pretty much what I mean when I say it wouldn't work. The storyline of who is and is not a Skrull would drive the plots of all the solo movies out of necessity, rather than allowing them to be largely their own stand-alone stories. I just don't see that working for 10 years. Plus I think ultimately the payoff is really weak compared to what we are experiencing now with Thanos.
    I disagree.

There is no reason for the plots to be driven by who are the infiltrators. The whole point of infiltration is that you DON'T show your hand until the endgame. So each movie could just roll out as normal, but then - the audience can find out in the post credit scene of each movie who the Skrull is. That could be a good ongoing long term plot line.

And if you are worried about topping Thanos, then don't because you can't. This is about as cosmic as it gets in Marvel, so the best idea would be to go in a new direction.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I disagree.

There is no reason for the plots to be driven by who are the infiltrators. The whole point of infiltration is that you DON'T show your hand until the endgame. So each movie could just roll out as normal, but then - the audience can find out in the post credit scene of each movie who the Skrull is. That could be a good ongoing long term plot line.

And if you are worried about topping Thanos, then don't because you can't. This is about as cosmic as it gets in Marvel, so the best idea would be to go in a new direction.
    Not worried about topping Thanos, just that the threat posed must be worthy of the Avenger. SKrulls are not, despite the secret invasion nonsense. Besides, people left infinity war enraged that their favorite heroes died, despite what seems to many of us the obvious fact that the deaths aren't permanent. Can you imagine the reaction sitting through an entire movie (or several) only to find out your favorite hero was a villain in disguise and it wasn't who you thought it was at all?

This idea just cannot work.

Extraordinary Member

Not worried about topping Thanos, just that the threat posed must be worthy of the Avenger. SKrulls are not, despite the secret invasion nonsense. Besides, people left infinity war enraged that their favorite heroes died, despite what seems to many of us the obvious fact that the deaths aren't permanent. Can you imagine the reaction sitting through an entire movie (or several) only to find out your favorite hero was a villain in disguise and it wasn't who you thought it was at all?

Any idea can work if it is done properly.

Civil War as written in the comic would not have been a good movie because nobody wanted to see MCU Tony Stark as an facist *******. The movie writers reworked the story to amplify the legitimacy of Tony's position and make him a more sympathetic character.

So yeah, Secret Invasion can work. Per your point about people not wanting their faves 'die' there are two obvious solutions.

First, don't choose any of the big characters. You Skrullify your Wong's, your Maria Hill's, your Faclon's etc.

Second, make sure you establish clearly that the original is not actually dead but in stasis.

As for threats - Skrulls are as big a threat as the writer's make them. Again, you don't have to limit yourself by the foibles of the comics.

There is also the fact that Civil War shows that the audience is happy to see hero v hero battles done right. Heroes fighting Skull copies of other heroes could satisfy that agenda nicely.

And finally - it might be a great way to intro the Fantastic Four back into the MCU
    Last edited by brettc1; 05-26-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Any idea can work if it is done properly.

Civil War as written in the comic would not have been a good movie because nobody wanted to see MCU Tony Stark as an facist *******.
    Civil War as written in the comics didn't make a good comic, either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Civil War as written in the comics didn't make a good comic, either.
    True. Civil War is one of those stories where the writers wanted a status quo set up so they made everyone suck and act stupid to get it. Kingdom Come was Civil War done right with characters making senseZ

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    True. Civil War is one of those stories where the writers wanted a status quo set up so they made everyone suck and act stupid to get it. Kingdom Come was Civil War done right with characters making senseZ
    You'll never convince a lot of Wonder Woman fans of that.

Comics are a different beast. Your audience is far more locked in which means whether the story was good or not it still made money. Also, had it lost money it would not have been in the billions of dollars.

But my point stands that the CW story from the comics would not have garnered huge box office on the big screen. Disney is aware parents are leery of taking their kids to a movie where it starts with a schoolyard full of kids getting blown up. And that RDJ's Iron Man is a big box office draw card and it would be crazy to make the audience hate him.

So they changed the story significantly while keeping the core concept - an ideological difference on what it means to be superhero.

In the same way, Secret Invasion can work with the right execution.

BANNED

In the same way, Secret Invasion can work with the right execution.
    It really can't. The core concept is that we don't know which heroes are heroes, and which are evil twins. That cannot work.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 05-26-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Civil War would have been great if they'd done what they'd originally SAID they were going to do, and made both sides reasonable and sympathetic. Unfortunately, the writers reverted to the lowest common denominator and made Tony an evil fascist.

It should but doesn't amaze me how many people seriously believe that the Black Panther, Spider-Man and most of the Guardians are really going to stay dead despite BP having the biggest super hero movie in history and all of them already having sequels to their highly successful movies planned. But most people in the theater really didn't even react that much to the deaths of those characters, seeming to know it wasn't going to stay that way. There was far more reaction when Stark got stabbed because people know Downey may not continue in the role.
    Power with Girl is better.

Civil War would have been great if they'd done what they'd originally SAID they were going to do, and made both sides reasonable and sympathetic. Unfortunately, the writers reverted to the lowest common denominator and made Tony an evil fascist.
    Reed was the one who pissed me off the most in that story. There was some good ideas on the event but yea if u read that story and are team pro registration I think you might be sick. They didnt handle it well at all. Also anyone who read civil war 2 was that handled any better? Or was it one sided again with half the heroes acting like complete idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Reed was the one who pissed me off the most in that story. There was some good ideas on the event but yea if u read that story and are team pro registration I think you might be sick. They didnt handle it well at all. Also anyone who read civil war 2 was that handled any better? Or was it one sided again with half the heroes acting like complete idiots?
    I think that everyone in Civil War 2 was an idiot, and the only one who looked good was Scarlet Witch who refused to fight on either side in Scarlet Witch #9.

Ultimate Member

That, and they constantly refused to define the actual act itself, except in the most evil of terms (say, turning Cloud 9 into a freakin' sniper)