Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Mighty Thor #706 (spoilers)

As someone who likes Jane Foster Thor, I thought the ending was anti-climactic. The right ending for this story was for Jane to die - never mind that someone would have resurrected her at some point.

I disagree, there has been too much death and tragedy in Thor and having the Odinson, a repentant Odin himself and even the God Storm unite to bring her back was awesome in my eyes. Plus i didn't want her story to end, i don't care whether she was Thor or not i just wanted her to live after going through so much suffering. Besides who says her days as a hero are truly over? Beta Ray Bill was brought back, Storm has her hammer so who says she will not wiled the thunder once more?

Amazing Member

I tend to agree, this ending takes all the emotion out of the whole arc, Jane should of died even if they brought her back in a few years. In bringing her back the very next issue her sacrifice lost all it's potency.

Incredible Member

What an ass pull. Build up terminal cancer and handwave it with magic, the thing she explicitly said she wouldn't be doing.

Haha

She still has cancer, they only revived her.

Incredible Member

Magic defibrillator. Mar-Vell really missed out.

Incredible Member

I can’t imagine reading this as a trade with the instant resurrection, it just felt empty now she earned Valhalla, she deserves. I’d rather have her come back later escaping Valhalla to be a hero once more instead of sucking the emotion out of a story. I’ve enjoyed her run but this ending fell flat for me.

It was a very interesting way to square the circle. Most of us assumed either she would end up healed or dead, and that being healed would be a problem. To have her retire from the stage and focus upon her therapy is an option we didn’t expect, but one that contains hope. Jane had become such a strong symbol of the personal battle against cancer if feels only right that she get the opportunity to continue her fight, and if that battle contains a realistic portrayal of remission it could be very interesting to read.

The insistence that Mjölnir has actually been destroyed is perhaps the most fascinating. I was hoping we would see the end of the Tempest and indeed it has been used and discarded to interesting effect. I am a little disappointed that they dropped the seed about it potentially being a villain and or antagonist. That was presumably an option for Aaron at one point, as he laid some of the groundwork for that. Plans do change of course, and I do get the impression from the end notes that Aaron found this story writing itself a little.

I am now wondering if we will end up with a time paradox where the future Mjölnir will be sent back in time, or if the solicitation for #1 was a lie in the style of Spencer when he wrote fake solicitations for Cap. Maybe Thor will be searching for the fragments of Mjölnir. We may have a hint that the multiple hammer motif of the cover is actually him testing out different weapons for suitability, and that would also match the sneak peek.

The art was amazing as always. My favourite panel being the moment Odin reflects. That is drawn with such sensitivity I found myself pausing to study it. Over the course of this story Dauterman’s star has risen dramatically, but his talent has risen to match. It is wonderful to see someone develop a style over time, and one that will no doubt serve him in the years to come. His flowing lines are the most obvious stand out but his cartooning, especially his faces, as well as his design work, are all so impressive.

P.S. Aaron can always develop the Tempest as antagonist idea in Avengers flashbacks.

P.P.S If Mjölnir does come back from the future it may not be paradoxical. When Thor wielded both hammers maybe he accidentally swapped them. So this really is the end of Mjölnir but the hammer has gone around in a wild loop into the future, back to a point soon to be, then forward in real time until it gets swapped again and goes on to be destroyed in Sol.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-26-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Magic defibrillator. Mar-Vell really missed out.
    Mar-Vell had zero prognosis. If he had been resuscitated he would still have died later. In this story the seed of hope was sown in Jane’s “I could have beaten you” as she studied her notes. Also the medical fight against cancer in the intervening years holds out more hope for an increasing number of diagnoses.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Mar-Vell had zero prognosis. If he had been resuscitated he would still have died later. In this story the seed of hope was sown in Jane’s “I could have beaten you” as she studied her notes. Also the medical fight against cancer in the intervening years holds out more hope for an increasing number of diagnoses.
    Sliding timescale. By this point Marvel didn't really die in the 80's. What Jason Aaron just missed is a poetic chance to have an emotional scene of Jane rejecting Valhalla to be with her son and accepting her own mortality as a human and not a taking the route of vikings and gods. Which Jason Aaron still hasn't explained what made Jane more special than Thor himself.

Which Jason Aaron still hasn't explained what made Jane more special than Thor himself.
    Did you get to read the entire issue?

Sliding timescale. By this point Marvel didn't really die in the 80's. What Jason Aaron just missed is a poetic chance to have an emotional scene of Jane rejecting Valhalla to be with her son and accepting her own mortality as a human and not a taking the route of vikings and gods. Which Jason Aaron still hasn't explained what made Jane more special than Thor himself.
    I am talking real world dude! Sliding timescales are a device not real.

This son issue just needs go away. As I said in the appreciation thread Jane wants to live not die. She never wanted to die, that’s why her gesture was a sacrifice. It was an acceptance of death for a higher cause not for personal gain. That was the whole point of the controversial flashback issue. It was about faith in the face of death.

This story is not about a dying woman that wants to see her loved ones again. If you want to read that story go write it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Mar-Vell's alien physiology could've been an issue too. Isn't part of his powerset the ability to absorb radiation? That would mean radiotherapy wouldn't work on Mar-Vell. He's resistant to poison too, which means chemo wouldn't work. At this point, they could explain that Mar-Vell was untreatable, unlike Jane, due to his powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jane was ass pulled back to life.

Mjölnir really got destroyed in the Sun.

Odin turns 180 - 360 in a few panels... OK.

Jane is the best God in Asgard... OK.

Aaron made me despise Odin, Thor and Mjölnir - 3 most iconic things in mythology.

he achieved the impossible.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-26-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Jane was ass pulled back to life.

Mjölnir really got destroy in the Sun.

Odin turns 180 - 360 in a few panels... OK.

Jane is the best God in Asgard... OK.

Aaron made me despise Odin, Thor and Mjölnir - 3 most iconic things in mythology.

he achieved the impossible.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like everything you wanted from the issue came true. Of course true in this sense seems to a somewhat subjective term. I certainly don't recognise your summary as at-all related to the issue I read.