Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    With a little under a million views on the Resistance first look trailer, there are 9.7k up votes and 37k down votes. LOL.
    At this point I doubt most of the downvoters even bothered to actually watch the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    At this point I doubt most of the downvoters even bothered to actually watch the trailer.
    I think the majority did. The reaction on the Star Wars Reddit is incredibly negative.

It's not a spot designed to get adult Star Wars fans to like the show - the main character is highly childish and there's an emphasis on humor. I don't think this is a promo cut by Lucasfilm - it's done by Disney aimed at kids. One of the negative YouTube was bashing it for the VO - and it's the VO guy who does all of Disney Channel's promos and sounds appealing to kids.

I don't have any insider knowledge of what's going on with Disney Channel and Star Wars - but I can say from working with Cartoon Network while Clone Wars was in production that the emphasis was always kids. CN didn't think adults needed to be marketed to. It was assumed the fanboys would watch. The issue was trying to get the show to appeal to kids and keep kids' eyes glued to the screen.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 08-21-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

"I wanna be an Ace Pilot!"

I'm guessing this is Rose's Brother

(I take back everything bad I said about the prequels)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm confused as to why the premier is at 10 tonight, I mean from everything we've seen so far the tone seems more aimed at a slightly younger audience than the previous cartoons so why air it after that audience is asleep? 10pm on a Sunday isn't prime time either so it's not as if it's positioned to appeal to the regular audience...it's just a really weird time slot.

iMan 42s

Watching it now so I'll post more about it later. I was actually thinking I couldn't see it cause I was working tonight but yeah, 10 pm...

I mean it's not unheard of for kids to stay up late but it's a little odd that Disney would put the premier so late considering most kids are asleep.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

iMan 42s

B-
    spoilers:

I'm honestly torn on whether the race just wasn't interesting enough, or if it didn't have much to do with Kaz being there. As honestly the race is pretty much the weakest part. Having Kaz get to know what will likely be later cast members is a good idea but the race feels too sudden as the starfighter that blows up of course does. It's one of those things that of course plays out the way you think it will and I can't forget about how it has little to do with any of the spy mission. Kaz could be a racer. But overall he just kind of walks into it out of a game of telephone and nobody buys that he's the "best pilot in the galaxy". As a joke it's kind of funny, but for an alibi and a character moment it just doesn't work. At least not as well as it should.

The more interesting part to me was the character bits and our Red Baron which I find to be an interesting take on the Imperial Flight barons. We do know that they exist in the First Order, but an all red baron is kind of interesting and while on the nose, get's the point across. They really nailed character design here as our soon to be villain is recognizably a pilot but also fairly unique in appearance, and it's helpful he sticks out. That way we can immediately recognize him later. My only critique of him is that I hate they just altered a Tie interceptor. It's a cool design, but I know Filoni's team can do better and maybe even reusing an old EU Tie would be a better choice if only to help our villain stand out. Otherwise it's a good design.

I like Kaz as a character and can definitely see his upcoming arcs
    -standing on his own in a way considering we know he develops a team
    -actually becoming a great pilot even if he isn't the best
    -finding out where he stands as everything was done for him, so what does he want?

I'm interested in seeing where this goes even if the pilot isn't that great *unintentional pun*

I'd also say that the animation is a bit stiff. But on the other hand it's also clearly designed to be a cartoon. So more bombastic and expressive movements are needed to help sell that. It might be a turn off to some but I can accept it if only for it's practicality in making the show look good. I felt Rebels had too much movement and Clone wars didn't have enough so maybe this will be what gets it right.

The voice acting is also fine. Standard Filoni stuff and the cartoon style really does help bring this to life. Not bad.

I'd say give it a watch if it's on but that time-slot is just bizarre. Next episode is again at 10 pm. So who the Hell is up watching this? It's clearly aimed at a younger audience but it's just a weird decision. Maybe 8 at the latest but geez. I guess they are planning on it getting re-runs, but that's kind of an ass-backwards decision for a big premier.
    end of spoilers
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    B-
    spoilers:

I'm honestly torn on whether the race just wasn't interesting enough, or if it didn't have much to do with Kaz being there. As honestly the race is pretty much the weakest part. Having Kaz get to know what will likely be later cast members is a good idea but the race feels too sudden as the starfighter that blows up of course does. It's one of those things that of course plays out the way you think it will and I can't forget about how it has little to do with any of the spy mission. Kaz could be a racer. But overall he just kind of walks into it out of a game of telephone and nobody buys that he's the "best pilot in the galaxy". As a joke it's kind of funny, but for an alibi and a character moment it just doesn't work. At least not as well as it should.

The more interesting part to me was the character bits and our Red Baron which I find to be an interesting take on the Imperial Flight barons. We do know that they exist in the First Order, but an all red baron is kind of interesting and while on the nose, get's the point across. They really nailed character design here as our soon to be villain is recognizably a pilot but also fairly unique in appearance, and it's helpful he sticks out. That way we can immediately recognize him later. My only critique of him is that I hate they just altered a Tie interceptor. It's a cool design, but I know Filoni's team can do better and maybe even reusing an old EU Tie would be a better choice if only to help our villain stand out. Otherwise it's a good design.

I like Kaz as a character and can definitely see his upcoming arcs
    -standing on his own in a way considering we know he develops a team
    -actually becoming a great pilot even if he isn't the best
    -finding out where he stands as everything was done for him, so what does he want?

I'm interested in seeing where this goes even if the pilot isn't that great *unintentional pun*

I'd also say that the animation is a bit stiff. But on the other hand it's also clearly designed to be a cartoon. So more bombastic and expressive movements are needed to help sell that. It might be a turn off to some but I can accept it if only for it's practicality in making the show look good. I felt Rebels had too much movement and Clone wars didn't have enough so maybe this will be what gets it right.

The voice acting is also fine. Standard Filoni stuff and the cartoon style really does help bring this to life. Not bad.

I'd say give it a watch if it's on but that time-slot is just bizarre. Next episode is again at 10 pm. So who the Hell is up watching this? It's clearly aimed at a younger audience but it's just a weird decision. Maybe 8 at the latest but geez. I guess they are planning on it getting re-runs, but that's kind of an ass-backwards decision for a big premier.
    end of spoilers
    I just watched the first three episodes(actually four as the pilot was two) on Disney's streaming site and I feel the same way. There's a lot to like in the characters, and the setting is fun but so far the plots themselves have been a little weak and the lack of a real antagonist presence makes it feel like it's wandering a bit. Hopefully it gets better as it goes.

iMan 42s

Having gotten caught up I have to agree that it's not as tight as it could be.

spoilers:
    I like the second episode but the third is only setting up a rival at the end of the day and we have the entire First Order and its spies. Also the villains could've been thwarted easily. What if Kaz really did die on that bike? Talk about luck he caught him. And that's a problem, I can't remember the rival's name or their crew. Not to mention that the rival also didn't have a particularly memorable outfit or deal. He just wants to be the best their is, but he resorts to theft. At the end of the episode he's basically on Kaz's playing field except he has more experience than him. I get that this is going to be his opponent when not fighting FO, Pirates, or running races, but the rival feels a bit unnecessary when you have 5 OTHER PILOTS.
    end of spoilers

It feels a bit too much but overall I do enjoy the series.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I tried. I really did, but this show is just not for me. For those that liked it I hope it gets a long run, but for me this show is just a nonstarter.

Resistance has lost about half of Star Wars Rebel's audience The first episode had a total audience of about .3 million and was 108 out of 150 shows for the day: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/article...10-7-2018.html. A morning Disney Channel show had a bigger audience.

Disney cares more about certain demos which they would need to release in a press release, but it's telling they haven't bragged about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Resistance has lost about half of Star Wars Rebel's audience The first episode had a total audience of about .3 million and was 108 out of 150 shows for the day: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/article...10-7-2018.html. A morning Disney Channel show had a bigger audience.

Disney cares more about certain demos which they would need to release in a press release, but it's telling they haven't bragged about it yet.
    It's not surprising...it aired at 10pm for some reason, not exactly a time slot kids can see it at. Why they did that I don't know, but because it's such an odd time you can't really compare it to Rebels.

iMan 42s

They seem to be banking on re-runs which is fine for the first batch of episodes but I struggle to see the end game. You want something to be successful, keep the audience engaged. showing a bunch of old episodes out of order is going to frustrate the viewer base assuming they can't stream.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not surprising...it aired at 10pm for some reason, not exactly a time slot kids can see it at. Why they did that I don't know, but because it's such an odd time you can't really compare it to Rebels.
    I finally watched the first episode(streamed), but that late of a time slot is pretty weird. I liked it. I thought it started slow but it grew on me as the episode went on. I thought Kaz was overshadowed for the first stretch of the episode and was in Poe's shadow until he left. That's about where he actually got to show who he was as a character and my interest picked up. I'll keep watching. I kind of felt about the same as I did for the first episode of Rebels to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    They seem to be banking on re-runs which is fine for the first batch of episodes but I struggle to see the end game. You want something to be successful, keep the audience engaged. showing a bunch of old episodes out of order is going to frustrate the viewer base assuming they can't stream.
    Yeah, I can't really wrap my head around the scheduling either. Even on the Disney site the episodes aren't in any order, I had to check wikipedia to get the order right, though to be honest as of right now other than the first episode you really could watch the others in just about any order but that might change down the road.

Maybe they're counting on folks going on a binge when the streaming service launches?