Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

DD2- What more could you ask for? DD fighting Red Ninjas on the rooftops of New York city at night in the pouring rain. Don't get more Frank Miller than that.
    LC2
    DD1
    The Punisher
    Jessica Jones
    JJ2
    Luke Cage- I wanted to love it, instead of liking it. But Cage's self righteous respectability politics was fucking grating. Diamond back was a decent villain, he just wasn't as good as cottonmouth.
    The Defenders-IMHO The Defenders screwed up The Hand. As far as i'm concern the REAL Hand went down in season 2 of DD.
    Iron Fist-I didn't hate it, it just wasn't interesting. HOWEVER i did like how it played on people's expectations of villains.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Much like everyone else I didn't like the Elektra and Hand plot of the season. It was boring, it kept dancing around the mysticism than embracing it, too much easier left vague and unanswered. Punisher plot is what makes that season. It's just as good as season 1.
    Like i said above, What more could you ask for? DD fighting Red Ninjas on the rooftops of New York city at night in the pouring rain. Don't get more Frank Miller than that. I loved DDS2 a lot, all the way throughout. I think the second half is underrated.

Fantastic Member

First of daredevil season 2should at least put it in top 2 of netflix. One thing great about daredevil, his powers and fighting style come across great. Iron fist and luke cage still need some work in that department

Wow that was...intense. I loved how the last episode was basically setup for Season 3.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    This season was sooooo good, but i feel that it might be a little too culturally dense for some people. There's also a lot of crime history packed in too. Like The Yardies, and The Showa Posse are REAL gangs. there's also TONS of social commentary about black folks, in terms of intercultural rivalries, being immigrants, being un-unified like the other ethnic crime organizations, there was also a lot of commentary on colorism, and of course good ole fashion racism. there's a whole BUNCH of **** to unpack this season, Cheo Hadari Coker did his research...plus this season was fuckin BRUTAL!! way to go Edge Lord Marvel lol
    Yeah, the writing on this season was way more layered and insightful than the rest of these shows have been, and the cultural issues dealt with explicitly made this more of a serious drama than any of the others. I thought it was really quality stuff, and each subplot had enough depth to keep me invested. Some people who are complaining about "filler" I think just weren't interested in the stories that were being told, or missed some of the complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    As for the season...loved Bushmaster and was rooting for him on some levels. Woodard deserves whatever accolades she can get because, ****, she was good in season one, but the story, the acting, the transformations of Mariah throughout season two all the way to her end, that was some next level ****.
    Alfre Woodard was absolutely the MVP. Her character arc from aspiring politician/philanthropist to straight-up monster this season was both unpredictable and totally believable, and she plays everything really true to her character, with this kind of traumatized vulnerability that motivates her.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    One scene in the series that has bothered me, and I can't stop thinking about is when Luke and Claire have that argument, and she ends up leaving. Claire just came off as ridiculous to me at that moment. She kept pestering him about his father over, and over again. Luke had finally had enough, and punched a wall basically telling her to shut up about something he had already clearly explained that he didn't feel comfortable talking about or dealing with. Something personal to him. But oh, when the big black man punches a wall, she gets scared and feels victimized. Because he punched a wall. She claims that kind of behavior was apart of her childhood growing up, and she never wanted to deal with that kind of behavior again. What? Punching a wall!? People can't get angry when you pester them and throw something? Her expectations for a partner are completely ridiculous. Luke wasn't going to smack her, and it wasn't even going to get anywhere near that.

Luke should just kick her butt to her curb and holla at Tilda or something.
    Yeah, speaking of trauma, it was pretty clearly implied that Claire has PTSD from being around domestic violence (as many people do) and you really shouldn't expect everyone to react to things the exact same way that you would or to be able to simply shrug off or ignore explosive acts of violence, even if it is just punching a wall. It can re-trigger that trauma, those memories, those feelings of insecurity and fear. People FEEL victimized because they've BEEN victimized, so how can you blame her or question her for feeling that way? I thought the show did an effective and not so subtle job of having her really physically withdraw in that moment for safety. You gotta be sensitive to people's experiences and thoughtful about the way you interact with them, if you care about their feelings. Basic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Writing the review without reading the rest of the thread, so it comes out unbiased, so forgive me if I’m just repeating talking points.

Really liked this season, definitely the best Marvel Netflix season 2, and probably the only one better than season 1. While Season 1 started great, it faded toward the end after Cottonmouth died. This is also the only Netflix Marvel series where I’m excited for a season 3.

What makes it work is Bushmaster just being a great villain and Mariah seriously upping her game and turning into a genuine monster.
    Coupled with Luke being Luke, quality Misty development, Shades continuing to be his affably evil self and the cast just works.
    They even got the best ever Iron Fist appearance (seriously if that episode was a pilot to Power Man and Iron Fist I’d be down for it.).
    Give it a solid B/B+ rank it just after Daredevil 1 and Jessica Jones 1, and runs just ahead of season 1 imo.
    I agree entirely with everything stated in this great review, except that JJ 1 is below LC 2 for me.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Some people who are complaining about "filler" I think just weren't interested in the stories that were being told, or missed some of the complexity.

EXACTLY!!!....that's what i said about IGN's review of the show. The guy reviewing it just wasn't interested in the stories they was telling. And a lot of the stuff seems to be over his head, or he just wasn't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Yeah, speaking of trauma, it was pretty clearly implied that Claire has PTSD from being around domestic violence (as many people do) and you really shouldn't expect everyone to react to things the exact same way that you would or to be able to simply shrug off or ignore explosive acts of violence, even if it is just punching a wall. It can re-trigger that trauma, those memories, those feelings of insecurity and fear. People FEEL victimized because they've BEEN victimized, so how can you blame her or question her for feeling that way? I thought the show did an effective and not so subtle job of having her really physically withdraw in that moment for safety. You gotta be sensitive to people's experiences and thoughtful about the way you interact with them, if you care about their feelings. Basic stuff.
    Agreed, though I find it ironic you apply all this, accurately IMO, to Claire, and none of it to Luke Cage. No he shouldn't have hit that wall, agreed. That is an incorrect response to him telling her stop trying to make him talk about his dad. But if that's the kind of relationship they have, she won't respect boundaries and he won't stop flying off the handle like that, they need to call it quits. "You gotta be sensitive to people's experiences and thoughtful about the way you interact with them, if you care about their feelings. Basic stuff." Probably should go both ways, especially since this was AFTER she personally talked to his dad who told her the same thing so apparently she wasn't "sensitive to people's experiences and thoughtful about the way you interact with them" either.

Logically they shouldn't be together. On her end she can't trust Cage won't ever lose his cool and hit more walls, cause in the back of her mind, there's always a chance, no matter how infinitesimal, he'll turn that anger directly on her. And he can't trust she'll give him space and understand he'll talk about things in his time, and when he's ready. He doesn't need a mother/big sister as a girlfriend like Danny (oops). Fair enough, clean break. So when she came BACK I was like wtf. Luke made the right call telling Sugar to tell her to go home. And...he needs to get a few cups of coffee with Tilda got DAMN she's fine.

I agree entirely with everything stated in this great review, except that JJ 1 is below LC 2 for me.
    I...really disliked JJ1 except for Luke's scenes. She's a really unlikable character and Killgrave was a really obnoxious villain so finishing it was a chore for me. JJ2 was worlds better, not sure how I'd rank it, but I'd sooner watch it before JJ1 ever again.

It does make me wonder if JJ2 set a tone of sorts. She had to deal with spoilers:
    her mother
    end of spoilers, Cage his dad, Danny probablyspoilers:
    his sister
    end of spoilers, Matt probablyspoilers:
    his mother
    end of spoilers, wonder what that leaves Frank to deal with for his followup season.

Maybe Frank's grandparents or in-laws might pop up? (half-serious)

I'm hoping they do explore Luke's cop past in a future season.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Maybe Frank's grandparents or in-laws might pop up? (half-serious)

I'm hoping they do explore Luke's cop past in a future season.
    Think the in laws woulda shown up at the court hearing when he got arrested if they were gonna show up.

This was a very well done season. I was interested from start to finish and I could not have predicted that ending, even though I thought the way Tilda killed Mariah was very cliche. I feel like I’ve seen that same scene (poisoned lipstick) several times in other shows and movies.

But pluses:

I loved the Shades/Mariah relationship and storyline, and Mariah’s development from someone who wants to go legit and help the community, and leave the Stokes name behind, to someone who was a total irredeemable monster was great to watch. I couldn’t even feel salty when Shades and Mariah split, even though I liked them a lot as a couple, because the way it happened just made so much sense.

Bushmaster was great. Sometimes monstrous, and sometimes I couldn’t help but root for him once his past was revealed. He was a compelling character and well acted. I genuinely felt bad for him and his family when Mariah killed his uncle in such a terrible way.

The villains, which can often be the weak points of these shows (example: Diamondback was inadequate) really shined this season and were very well done.

Also, the supporting cast. LOVED Misty’s arc, her friendship with Colleen, and pretty much everything going on with her. Also loved the Danny Rand team up with Luke. This is how Danny should be written all of the time. Also loved Luke’s dynamic with his father. Very bittersweet that we won’t get to see that continue.

However I am not a fan of the Luke/Claire relationship. I don’t think they’re well suited to each other. Claire is cool, but I think I actually preferred her as a romantic interest for Matt (even moreso than Karen Page). Claire just tried to mother Luke too much, and Luke’s “I’m a man” act when she tried got old. I think Claire was right to bounce when Luke punched that wall, as by that point he’d been getting increasingly unapologetically violent in his vigilante work, and apparently couldn’t have a conversation about his father without reacting violently. Coupled with Claire’s abusive childhood, those were red flags to her that showed her she needed to go. Of course she was in the wrong Too for pushing too much, but Luke’s reaction wasn’t appropriate. In any case, I hope they’re done. I much preferred seeing Luke with Jessica. Though I wouldn’t entirely be opposed to a love triangle storyline later on, lol.

I did not like season 1 so I was skeptical going in, but LC S2 really knocked it out of the park.

My ranking:

DD S2
    JJ S1
    LC S2
    Defenders
    DD S1
    Punisher
    JJ S2
    LC S1
    Iron Fist

Random thoughts having just finished S2:
    -- So glad they didn't make the mistake of ditching the most interesting villain halfway through this time. (regardless of the actor's request to not be tied down, it's still what turned the first season from a potential 10 to a 3)
    -- I for one ultimately loved what they did with Mariah. She wasn't the typical "cold, bad-ass villain" that is easier to love, but she had deep motivations and contradictions, and Woodard acted the crap out of that role. She'd definitely be up for an award if it weren't a genre show. (though I still wouldn't rule it out) She was as atypical as D'Onofrio was as Fisk. One of my big criticisms of the first season was that neither Diamondback nor Mariah were adequate replacements for Cottonmouth, but I see now she had more a two-season arc. She didn't really become full-on evil until this season. (not that it helps the first season)
    -- As many have said, Bushmaster was a great villain - believable threat to Cage, good actor, great fight scenes and sympathetic. I wouldn't mind seeing him again, but with so many characters on this show, I'm not sure what role he'd have - his story seems kinda done.
    -- Misty was one of the big highlights for me this season. I didn't totally buy that she went that far into framing Cockroach, but otherwise, I thought she carried a lot of the heart of this season.
    -- As many have said, the Power Man and Iron Fist team-up was awesome and the most "fun" episode this season.
    -- As long as this story took for some things to happen, things seemed to happen really fast the last couple episodes with all the other crime families and Cage stepping up to be the "King of Harlem." I'm not even sure what he did that was so bad and it wasn't the best written scene to have Cage just muscle his way into the Mafia lady's home then suddenly they have a deal?? And with all the name-drops and guest appearances from other Netflix shows, I'm surprised there wasn't any mention (unless I missed it) of all the crime empires all falling under Fisk not that long ago - or the shift that happened after the Punisher cleaned house. It just would have been nice to see some of that inter-connectivity there.

A couple things I Didn't mention it in my initial review, but I really loved the Shades/Comanche interplay. I honestly didn't think they'd go that way, but once the did it added a fresh layer to Shades' character.

Separately, in the last episode seeing serious Cage against normal people is scary. No more baps to the head, just casually breaking limbs. That display makes it clear why it's better to work with Cage than against him.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

After watching Ant-Man and the Wasp how is Cage roaming free? Pym and Hope have been living on the run because their tech violates the accords while Cage has actual powers being a local celebrity who actively fights crime. Why ain't the feds knocking down his door?

After watching Ant-Man and the Wasp how is Cage roaming free? Pym and Hope have been living on the run because their tech violates the accords while Cage has actual powers being a local celebrity who actively fights crime. Why ain't the feds knocking down his door?
    Its possible that they did offscreen and they were able to work something out with him which would have been a cool season arc in of itself. It's more something they don't want to deal with so they are going to ignore it which is a shame.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Probably because it isn't worth the effort to do so.

Odds are they simply lack the firepower necessary to really do anything about him and even if they did have someone/thing that could hurt him, it would mean turning Harlem into a warzone to bring him in.

Than again, the accords were created as guidelines for the use of superpowered individuals in combat situations so its also possible that they simply might not apply to him or any of the other Netflix/non AoS tv shows