Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    After watching Ant-Man and the Wasp how is Cage roaming free? Pym and Hope have been living on the run because their tech violates the accords while Cage has actual powers being a local celebrity who actively fights crime. Why ain't the feds knocking down his door?
    They're on the run not because they're tech violates the accords, it's because their tech aided and abetted Scott Lang who blatantly violated the accords back in Civil War. Wong explains it in that opening 'simple' explanation to Cassie. It's also why Hank and Hope are so pissed at Scott. Luke Cage keeps it street level to the point where even despite Sportscenter coverage, not everyone is even convinced he's bulletproof.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 07-08-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

The Sokovia Accords specifically applies to Avengers, not merely anyone super powered. It is not the Superhero Registration Act. The show is going to take cues from the movies, and since it was explicitly stated as such in Civil War, the Accords do not apply to the Netflix heroes. Until they join the Avengers, they are citizens who happen to be powered.

A refresher:

Ross: For the past 4 years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution.

The Sokovia Accords.

Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations Panel, only when and if that Panel deems it necessary.

Note: If the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show has subverted this a bit...again, the Netflix shows takes cues from the movies, not another show that is also taking cues from the movies. Though researching it a bit, even they expanded the definition to mean anyone enhanced working for a government agency such as S.H.I.E.L.D., not merely anyone enhanced. Again...its not the Superhero Registration Act.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I...really disliked JJ1 except for Luke's scenes. She's a really unlikable character and Killgrave was a really obnoxious villain so finishing it was a chore for me. JJ2 was worlds better, not sure how I'd rank it, but I'd sooner watch it before JJ1 ever again.

It does make me wonder if JJ2 set a tone of sorts. She had to deal with spoilers:
    her mother
    end of spoilers, Cage his dad, Danny probablyspoilers:
    his sister
    end of spoilers, Matt probablyspoilers:
    his mother
    end of spoilers, wonder what that leaves Frank to deal with for his followup season.
    That's a good point about the "long-lost family" theme that they're overdoing. The only thing that got me through JJ1 was when I realized her friend was Patsy Walker and that dude was turning into Nuke. I thought Kilgrave became really repetitive, and her reasons for not just killing him sooner were too thin to believe. I think a lot of people had the same critique.

Incredible Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9Ym_d4Sc4

Random question, but did anyone else get a Ennio Morricone vibe from the Bob Marley track that's playing in the background of this scene? In the scene prior, someone specifically says there's going to be a showdown at high noon or something, and so when "Sun is Shining" kicked in with those flutes I immediately thought of the whistling in the Good, Bad, and Ugly theme. Maybe I'm reaching but that clicked for me immediately. Long way of saying the music was on point all through the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    A couple things I Didn't mention it in my initial review, but I really loved the Shades/Comanche interplay. I honestly didn't think they'd go that way, but once the did it added a fresh layer to Shades' character.
    I haven't finished the series yet and honestly I'm gonna feel a lil let down when I do. Mutha effin' Comanche tho!

spoilers:
    That was a powerful sequence when Shades had to dust Comanche's ass, then had to go to his momma house and spin a tale to her... ****!
    end of spoilers I thought dude was just going to be comedic relief after than American Gigolo line (I lol) but that was a great turn and to have them be boys from back when was great. That exchange in the barbershop was one of the highlights not named Bushmaster in the entire series so far. These are two characters, in cannon, from the 1970s going back and forth and I have been eating that up. The only selfish dig is that (so far) there hasn't been any nod to 616 Shades doing his Scott Summers thing. I know it wouldn't fit this continuity but every Luke Cage antagonist has had that comic moment that mirrored an action from the 70's run. No biggie but I thought I'd get something slight.

Not so much the execution of the entire arc but I'm one who liked Diamondback in S1. Again I haven't finished it all but so far I think I have to give the early nod to season 2 being more enjoyable than season 1.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Boisterously Confused

I did not want to post until I'd seen all of it.

How ****in' awesome is a series when you can't decide who your favorite character is, and the decision set includes Obvious Villians (Black Mariah, Bushmaster, Deadly Nightshade, Shades) and Universally Accepted Lames (Ironfist)?

PS. Re Mariah: Did Not See That Coming.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-10-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Ultimate Member

Honestly, i was rooting for Bushmaster by the end of the series.

I would actually love to see the guy lead a series.

The one complaint i had about the series was the way the Jamaican guys were "hissing" Real Jamaicans and Africans don't use the "hiss" in that way.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    The Sokovia Accords specifically applies to Avengers, not merely anyone super powered. It is not the Superhero Registration Act. The show is going to take cues from the movies, and since it was explicitly stated as such in Civil War, the Accords do not apply to the Netflix heroes. Until they join the Avengers, they are citizens who happen to be powered.

A refresher:

Ross: For the past 4 years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution.

The Sokovia Accords.

Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations Panel, only when and if that Panel deems it necessary.

Note: If the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show has subverted this a bit...again, the Netflix shows takes cues from the movies, not another show that is also taking cues from the movies. Though researching it a bit, even they expanded the definition to mean anyone enhanced working for a government agency such as S.H.I.E.L.D., not merely anyone enhanced. Again...its not the Superhero Registration Act.
    I imagine The Accords get broken out when somebody makes too big of a mess. As long as Cage and Bushmaster are just ripping up corners of Harlem, TPB probably don't care enough to act, any more than they do to take on the "coincidental" % of people getting shot by the police in the US being POC.

A hole in this logic is that The Accords Folk didn't sit up and take notice when The Defenders made such a ruckus. The Hand keeping things quiet behind the closed doors?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I imagine The Accords get broken out when somebody makes too big of a mess. As long as Cage and Bushmaster are just ripping up corners of Harlem, TPB probably don't care enough to act, any more than they do to take on the "coincidental" % of people getting shot by the police in the US being POC.

A hole in this logic is that The Accords Folk didn't sit up and take notice when The Defenders made such a ruckus. The Hand keeping things quiet behind the closed doors?
    There's always gonna be things that slip through the cracks. It helps that the defenders are t as global and famous as the Avengers.

I imagine The Accords get broken out when somebody makes too big of a mess.
    No, again, they apply specifically to the Avengers. That's why non-enhanced beings who rely on tech (Iron Man) or skill (Hawkeye) had to sign. They were doing this on a global scale and Sokovia was the final straw that said these Avengers need some oversight. Its not just anyone superpowered causing damage, and while this is a distinction lost on people, its not lost on the shows themselves. That's why for instance when Cage went to prison at the end of LC1 he went to prison not the Raft.

With all that said, though, it would be cool if the next crossover event involves some form of the actual Superhero Registration Act. The Netflix heroes are causing a ruckus to the point someone in the government should take notice and do something about it. But as it stands now, they don't violate the accords as they are written, so the show could create something it does violate.

Boisterously Confused

You know, in general I've been content with Colter's performance, but I've always thought that he wasn't capturing a certain sense of intensity that I've always associated with Luke Cage. A few months ago, I read the first dozen issues or so of Luke Cage: Hero for Hire from 1972, and I think it's a shame they didn't cast Mustafa Shakir in the lead role for the series. I know they need Netflix's Luke to more closely resemble what Cage has become in more recent years, but Shakir's performance as Bushmaster showed an edge that Colter has been missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post

Luke Cage's actor still can't emote in certain cases, something is off.
    You know, in general I've been content with Colter's performance, but I've always thought that he wasn't capturing a certain sense of intensity that I've always associated with Luke Cage. A few months ago, I read the first dozen issues or so of Luke Cage: Hero for Hire from 1972, and I think it's a shame they didn't cast Mustafa Shakir in the lead role for the series. I know they need Netflix's Luke to more closely resemble what Cage has become in more recent years, but Shakir's performance as Bushmaster showed an edge that Colter has been missing.
    I agree with both of these sentiments and Sain had a great review that stood out to me overall. Coulter seems like a great guy, personable, good IG follow but yea, as far as pure acting goes I feel he's the weakest amongst the cast. It's a GREAT thing that they all are so much better and bring up the quality of the show. PHYSICALLY, he's damn near perfect for the Cage from the 1990 series on but I agree about his emoting. He's just a bit to dry in his delivery, not square but also not fully convincing at times, mostly against Dawson and Woodard I feel. And this critique is in a bubble, not holding him up to Berenthal or Cox because both of them are spot fuckin' on, I'm talkin' in generals here. The Tuska/Archie Goodwin Luke Cage wasn't the coolest guy among the sometimes caricatures of black people in the 70s but he had a little bit more soul on the page imo. Part of what Coulter does well is that he translates a certain detraction from the street as in he can't really fit in on a level because everyone sees him coming and he doesn't hang crooks upside down or surprise and beat out info out of perps like Batman or Daredevil. The bad guys see him coming and act according. He's fine, not perfect but it works and still there is room there that kinds of sticks out.

My first Luke Cage has always been Henry Simmons, shame he hasn't found a role on the show thus far.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I agree with both of these sentiments and Sain had a great review that stood out to me overall. Coulter seems like a great guy, personable, good IG follow but yea, as far as pure acting goes I feel he's the weakest amongst the cast. It's a GREAT thing that they all are so much better and bring up the quality of the show. PHYSICALLY, he's damn near perfect for the Cage from the 1990 series on but I agree about his emoting. He's just a bit to dry in his delivery, not square but also not fully convincing at times, mostly against Dawson and Woodard I feel. And this critique is in a bubble, not holding him up to Berenthal or Cox because both of them are spot fuckin' on, I'm talkin' in generals here. The Tuska/Archie Goodwin Luke Cage wasn't the coolest guy among the sometimes caricatures of black people in the 70s but he had a little bit more soul on the page imo. Part of what Coulter does well is that he translates a certain detraction from the street as in he can't really fit in on a level because everyone sees him coming and he doesn't hang crooks upside down or surprise and beat out info out of perps like Batman or Daredevil. The bad guys see him coming and act according. He's fine, not perfect but it works and still there is room there that kinds of sticks out.

My first Luke Cage has always been Henry Simmons, shame he hasn't found a role on the show thus far.
    I suppose Coulter just seems like too nice of a guy. That's a terrible thing to say disparagingly, the world needs more nice guys in it. But Cage, especially in his early days, did not radiate "nice."

I suppose Coulter just seems like too nice of a guy. That's a terrible thing to say disparagingly, the world needs more nice guys in it. But Cage, especially in his early days, did not radiate "nice."
    One of my gripes about Colter as Cage deposite his acting been great. He doesnt have that toughness and when he tries it feels off. Like Luke was the baddest motherfuc*** in the yard in prison before he got powers. The show tried to show that but I never bought it fully. Then attitude Luke needed was like the Rock. How he is in Faster or even his character in the fast and Furious movies. Colter doesnt have the natural intimidation the rock does or that swagger. In faster they set up rock as the this dude in prison everyone's afraid of and he just effortlessly exudes that intimidating presence. Now back then the rock wasnt that good an actor yet so the movies only meh but hes got that attitude down. It's just something natural he was born with and Colter wsnt. I still.like Colter he nails Cages softer side.

At the very least, I like that they gave Luke an arc this season where he shows some darker sides of his personality. In season one, he was mostly a big bulletproof teddy bear. I also think Colter isn't necessarily as strong an actor as many among his supporting cast in both seasons, but he handles himself fine in terms of how the character is written in the show.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me