Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Doctor Strange #1 Waid/Saiz Review/SPOILERS!

Marvel's mystical mage enters a new era with the debut issue from Waid/Saiz.

Coming off a very well-received run by Donny Cates, how does this new run look to compare?

Based on this first issue, I'd say "pretty good."

First of all, regardless of the writing, Jesus Saiz's gorgeous art makes this a must-buy. Lord, this is one pretty book! There's a painterly quality to these pages that is just stunning. The Doc is in very good hands, art-wise.

On the writing end, Waid brings his old pro chops to this. Given his years of experience, I think it'd be very hard for Waid to turn in anything that's subpar at this point and it certainly doesn't happen here.

I think Waid's strength with his Marvel work has been on solo books - Daredevil, Black Widow, Captain America - rather than on teams like The Avengers or Champions so he's on firmer footing with Doctor Strange. The premise of this initial outing - that Stephen has either lost touch with magic or that Earth's magic needs to be replenished - might have some fans rolling their eyes at a scenario that feels too well trodden. "Doctor Strange is out of magic AGAIN?!?"

But Waid's handling of Stephen's predicament is affecting. It feels like the Doc confronting some kind of midlife crisis than the nefarious actions of a villain or outside source. We'll see how it goes as the mystery unfolds but despite my own doubts as for the need to go down this path again, I like the execution so far. There's a genuine sense of melancholy here that suits Stephen Strange, a tone that not many other characters could wear as well.

In a quest to remedy his situation, Stephen goes to Tony Stark for suggestions. Tony's diagnosis is that Stephen needs to venture beyond Earth (which he calls a "dust mote") to find magic elsewhere. Stephen is reluctant but when Tony reminds him of his responsibilities as Earth's magical defender, Stephen knows that he has to give it a shot (Waid writes a great dynamic between Stephen and Tony, by the way).

So he finds himself piloting a craft out into the stars and, by issue's end has crashed on an alien world, been taken prisoner and finds himself in an alien jail, in an alien world, with no means of rescue in sight.

The cliffhanger that closes the issue here is a bit flat, in my opinion, but I'm intrigued by the story and definitely will stick with the book through the first arc to see how things play out.

This debut from the new team isn't the slam you in your face start that Cates had. It's a quieter kind of thing but very nicely done.

As Stephen's origin is tied into his arrogance, maybe that's why writers continually want to find ways to humble him and force him to build himself back up.

As repetitive as that might become, the success of a story is all in how it's told and, so far, I like what Waid and Saiz are doing here.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-07-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Incredible Member

I wanted to like it more but the entire time I was reading it I couldn’t help but think “oh they’re making him weaker AGAIN!” Was hoping for something more especially how much we had to see him rely on little to no magic this run I actually loved the first few pages where we saw him using magic. Sadly I imagine this plot being long running.

Is Strange such a story telling dead end that no one can do anything with him unless he is depowered?

We just had a depowered run... what the heck?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It's not bad. Instead of Strange basically doing something similar in another dimension, they have him in a place even harder for him to call home from.

While the lack of magic thing feels a little too soon the premise isn't Earth is out of magic, just Strange. I'm more curious what Waid intends to do for the legacy of the Sorcerer Supreme, since it laid the foundation for multiple Sorcerer Supremes to exist in the same dimension...somehow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    I wanted to like it more but the entire time I was reading it I couldn’t help but think “oh they’re making him weaker AGAIN!” Was hoping for something more especially how much we had to see him rely on little to no magic this run I actually loved the first few pages where we saw him using magic. Sadly I imagine this plot being long running.
    The opening was very cool, for sure.

I definitely get the exasperation in regards to a weakened Strange but I'm hoping the end game here will be worth the journey.

I definitely like Waid's voice for Stephen. One thing that rubbed me the wrong way (to varying degrees) about both Aaron and Cates' runs was that they had Stephen be too much like a regular guy in the way he thought and spoke. I don't know when that angle on Strange first came in but I don't care for it. Sometimes it's more grating than others but I never think it's an appropriate way to go with him. It feels too off-character. This issue is the first time in a while where I read Strange dialogue and really thought it accurately resembled the character as I first knew him.

For that alone, I'll keep reading Waid's run.

I was going to get this anyway as I love Doctor Strange, but is Tony in this a lot?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I was going to get this anyway as I love Doctor Strange, but is Tony in this a lot?
    I wouldn't say "a lot". There's a three page appearance but it's a well-written scene between him and Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    He's featured as a "move the plot forward" sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I wouldn't say "a lot". There's a three page appearance but it's a well-written scene between him and Stephen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    He's featured as a "move the plot forward" sort of way.
    Thanks you guys. It is very much appreciated.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I really wanted to like this because I like both the character and Mark Waid. However, it was just really “meh” for me. I may pick up the second issue since this was a lot of set up but at $3.99 there are so many other good titles going on right now I would rather read.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Does Bats appear?

-Pav, who loved that final issue by Cates so much because of the Spidey-Bats banter...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Honestly I think I'd prefer Dr. Strange borrowing a LOT from John Constantine.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The opening was very cool, for sure.

One thing that rubbed me the wrong way (to varying degrees) about both Aaron and Cates' runs was that they had Stephen be too much like a regular guy in the way he thought and spoke. I don't know when that angle on Strange first came in but I don't care for it. Sometimes it's more grating than others but I never think it's an appropriate way to go with him. It feels too off-character. .
    You're spot on here. They simply ignored his established characterization.The fact of the matter is that it was nothing more than a cynical tactic by Marvel to draw in fans of MCU Tony Stark. That's how little the PTB gave a damn about one of the most important characters of The Marvel Age of Comics. I've read virtually every Dr. Strange story from 1963 to 1985 so, yeah, I kinda know what I'm talking about on this one.

The problem I see with Dr. Strange, in a modern context, is that he's an erudite, reserved, yet dryly witty character, when written properly and that's just not what modern writers at Marvel seem able to grasp. For some reason stately white men with "classical" motifs are viewed as being boring/intimidating, if not altogether off-limits psychologically, to a lot of modern creators and fans. The irony for me is that the readership is older than it has ever been.

double-post

BANNED

I was honestly extremely excited going into the book with the opening fight sequence between Strange and The Elder God. Even forgetting the entire premise was Strange was going to go into space to do the whole routine as of now powerless Strange.

Honestly though the story was written in an entertaining manner despite the fact I don't like the direction it's going in. Hopefully after this arc Strange discovers something that prevents home from going powerless for a someehat forseeable future.